Your Pets and Their Names

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Your Pets and Their Names

Post by sangi39 » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 17:57

So since we're all pretty interested in languages, conworlding and naming practices, I was wondering what the board might have called their pets, why you made those choices, and whether or not you have any plans for the names of future pets.

I have three pets that are just mine, a bearded dragon named His Holiness, a royal python named Svafnir, and a leopard gecko named Kami.

I didn't name His Holiness, but when I was still with my ex, we wanted to give him a nickname, since "His Holiness" is a bit of a mouthful to say all the time, so we decided to use the name of the Pope at the time, Benedict XVI, settling on Benny.

Svafnir is named after one of the eight dragons or serpents mentioned in stanza 34 of Grímnismál (the others being Góinn, Móinn, Grafvitnis, Grábakr, Grafvölluðr, Ófnir and Níðhöggr). According to some scholars, "Sváfnir" means "the one who puts to sleep" in the sense of "death", which for a python was a pretty good description.

Kami, and his brother Kyu (who sadly died last year), underwent a pretty convoluted naming process, starting with 守宮, yamori, the Japanese word for gecko. I took the kun'yomi reading of 守, kami, and wrote it as 神, which also happens to have a kun'yomi reading of kami, meaning "spirit" or "god" (continuing the theme set by His Holiness and Svafnir). I then took the kan'on reading of 宮, kyū, meaning "palace" or "sign (of the zodiac). It's also the kan'on reading of 旧, meaning something like "old things". He was quite small, and potentially ill when I got the two of them, and I was hoping he would live for a long time with the proper care (sadly didn't pan out).

I also named my mum's cat, Odie, after the dog from Garfield, in a similar fashion to ironic names like "Tiny" for someone quite big. He also had a sister (unfortunately run over two years ago) that we settled on calling Mina. Originally she was called Bella after the main character of the Twilight books, but somehow we ended up with her (I forget how), and since none of us like Twilight even a little bit, we decided to name her after a female character in another vampire book, and what's more well known the "Dracula" in that sphere.

As for future pets, I've got Gilly for a dog, Jörmungandur ("Jörmi" for short) and Sith for cats, Moruk, Vishap, Kur, Tiamat, Grom and Tora for bearded dragons, Ofnir, Typhon, Skog, Bashmu and Lotan for snakes, and Tora, Tama and Kago for geckos:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Dog           : Gilly (from the Cherokee word for dog, "gili", but also Game of Thrones beause why not)
Cat           : Jörmungandur (the world snake who was disguised in the form of a cat)
              : Sith (after the Cat Sìth of Scottish Gaelic folklore)
Bearded Dragon: Moruk ("beard" in Armenian, borrowed into Turkish as a slang term for an old man)
              : Vishap (a dragon in Armenian mythology)
              : Kur (the "first dragon" in Sumerian mythology)
              : Tiamat (an Akkadian goddess, sometimes considered the mother of dragons)
              : Grom (Russian for "thunder")
              : Tora (Faroese for "thunder") [I went with "thunder" though a Tibetan word, 'brug, which means "dragon" and "thunder")
Snake:        : Ofnir (one of the serpents that gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasill, roughly meaning "the winding one")
              : Typhon (a serpent or dragon from Greek mythology)
              : Skog (means "snake" in Abenaki, but also forest in "forest" in Swedish)
              : Bashmu (a serpent-like figure in Mesopotamian mythology)
              : Lotan (a mythological Canaanite serpent)
Gecko         : Tora (meaning "tiger" in Japanese, a misreading of "虎" in the Chinese word "壁虎", meaning "gecko")
              : Tama (reading "壁" as "heki" [kan'on], which can be written as "璧" [kan'on], which can then be read as "tama" [kun'yomi], which when written [kun'yomi] as "魂" means "[a] soul")
              : Kago (reading "壁" as "heki" [kan'on], which can be written as "箄" [on'yomi], which can then be read as "kago" [kun'yomi], which when written [kan'on] as "加護" means "[a] blessing")

Most of them follow the same trend of relating back to mythology and the supernatural in some way, and the names for geckos follow the same process of intentionally misreading and misspelling CJK characters in Japanese in some pretty convoluted ways. There are a few "word for X in some language" names in there as well, where I thought the word sounded pretty good too.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Your Pets and Their Names

Post by Pabappa » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 18:13

😁I sense a password mining operation in progress here...😛

I don't have any pets, but when I was younger , my parents had many cats. Therefore I didn't actually name them, but did play with the names a bit. For the longest-lived cat, I changed his name slightly every few months or so until i was pronouncing it the same as our previously long-lived cat, a female. I did the same with my older sister, somehow settling on calling her "Bird"...not meant as an insult , and no, i dont remember the long and circuitous path I took to get to Bird. Later I moved on to "Seed" and then to further phonological distortions that don't match any English words.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 18:18

My mum named our kitty Nikita after that show character because our kitty was a foot attacker.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 19:20

No pets of my own, unfortunately, but I did name one of my mother's hens "Billina", after the hen in the Oz books. My sister insists on calling her Polish hens Thaddeus and Kosciuszko, after Tadeusz Kościuszko. (Polish hens need a Polish name, don't they?)
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 20:30

My hermit crabs as a child were named Hermie and Hermionie, because I was a very original seven-year-old. We had to release them (they were wild-caught) when we sailed out. My hermit crabs later in life were Hermie II, Hermionie II, and Snappy (because I was a very original nine-and-a-half-year-old); Snappy was sick when we got him, but he hung on for nearly a year before passing away during a molt gone wrong. Later we got Midge (named due to the awful infestation the pet store had of some unknown variety of Diptera and the abysmal conditions her tank there was in) and Roxie (originally Rocky, thanks to the resemblance her shell had to a lump of stone, before we learned she was female). A few years later, Eve joined the family (named after the robot in WALL-E, thanks to the remarkable resemblance her shell had to that particular character). She later became Eva, and I'm not entirely certain why - I believe my mother may simply have gotten her name wrong enough times that it stuck. I had those crabs for the better part of a decade; Hermie, Midge, and Eva survived until I went to college, when I passed them on to a woman who kept other hermit crabs and knew how to care for them.

Now I have a cat, Aster, named not for the flower but for the Latin (originally Greek, though, I believe) aster, as I got her the day after a meteor shower and something astronomical seemed appropriate. It is also a convenient shortening of Disaster, which she occasionally is.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 21:09

I missed the dog, guinea pigs and hamsters that my elder siblings had, so I was not in that particular kenning-fellowship.

But, our first rabbit, a big dark grey flemish brute with a heart of gold, was named Easter, b/c , well, we got him on Easter. Dandelion flowers were his version of catnip.

Our next rabbit was (Shhhhhhhhh) smuggled in from England in my sister's trenchcoat. It was a dwarf belgian black and white, and she called him Yob, b/c he was not a Lrig. He loved to be 'hypnotized' on his back, which probably scrambled his brain, but we knew nothing ill of it way back when, before the Internet.

After those hippity-hoppers, married life and children produced a new onslaught of accompanying familiars, apart from the spouse and younglings.

Tuck the Red-Eared Slider, which I think was the name of the Wonderpet turtle, was one of our first pets. He ate anything and everything. And, in winter, he would hibernate at the bottom of his tank with a bubble in each nostril.

Boots/Botas our calico cat. An excellent mouser if ever there was one, who also loved to scare the bejeezus out of me when I would ascend the staircase. I cannot recount how, exactly. It was just too, too traumatic… [xP] We 'had to' give Botas away, because, I would learn, one of my ex-wife's favorite sports was to buy our kids pets, only to give them away (?!?)

We had two guinea pigs, Osiris and Ramses, which did absolutely nothing their entire lives except eat, relieve themselves, and stand still.

We had two huge bullfrogs, George and Martha, that we got from an Asian Grocery store. When they finally passed, we gave them a proper burial at sea in the Delaware River.

We got another big grey bunny, and his name was Pascuas, in honor of that first Easterbunny of mine.

Later, after divorce, my kids had a teacup chihuahua, whose name I cannot recall, at their mom's house. This pesky canine was trained to attack me on sight. Pathetic, yet annoying. I think it's name was 'Nuisance', but I could be wrong. :roll:

For quite a few years, my son and I had a cute black shorthair/Mainecoon mix called Tinkles. She was originally 'Mister Tinkles' (Cf. Cats vs Dogs) , until we learned Mister was a Miss.
She was a bit of a troublemaker, but always snuggly, warm and generally fun to be around. Later, though, she had her boyfriends (Fathead the alley cat, and BJ the neighbor's Mainecoon tomcat), and just couldn't be bothered with. When we moved, the new landlord did not allow pets, so Tinkles when to my godson's demesne, where she became Midnight. I am told she is still a first-rate mouser, whether at midnight, or any other time of day.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 23:51

Sangi, I see a lot of names from Gaelic, Armenian, Norse, etc. I'm wondering, what is your ethnic background? Are you Armenian or something yourself? I know you live in the U.K., but reading your list of names made me wonder if you were ethnically something other than English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Manx, Cornish, etc. and were drawing on your own heritage, among others, for ideas.

I think all the regulars here know I'm Jewish by now.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 56,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 01:07

Khemehekis wrote:
Sat 10 Feb 2018, 23:51
Sangi, I see a lot of names from Gaelic, Armenian, Norse, etc. I'm wondering, what is your ethnic background? Are you Armenian or something yourself? I know you live in the U.K., but reading your list of names made me wonder if you were ethnically something other than English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Manx, Cornish, etc. and were drawing on your own heritage, among others, for ideas.

I think all the regulars here know I'm Jewish by now.
Nope, boring old English and Scottish as far back as anyone has looked [:P] I just like those particular words/names, fitting in with the general "themes" (the names of geckos are all Japanese, the names of snakes are mostly taken from "adversarial" serpents, the names of bearded dragons just being names of dragons, or their equivalent, etc.). The two Armenian choices came mostly from just liking the sound of those names, which is also true of the other names. Although I also went with "Sith" for a male cat, because a) Star Wars, and b) it's pronounced roughly the same as the English word "she", and as with Odie it has that nice "not actually named for what it is" thing going on:

Person: Is it a boy or a girl?
Me: A boy
Person: What's he called?
Me: [ʃiː]
Person: I thought you said he was a boy?...

[:P]
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 01:19

sangi39 wrote:
Sun 11 Feb 2018, 01:07
Nope, boring old English and Scottish as far back as anyone has looked [:P] I just like those particular words/names, fitting in with the general "themes" (the names of geckos are all Japanese, the names of snakes are mostly taken from "adversarial" serpents, the names of bearded dragons just being names of dragons, or their equivalent, etc.). The two Armenian choices came mostly from just liking the sound of those names, which is also true of the other names. Although I also went with "Sith" for a male cat, because a) Star Wars, and b) it's pronounced roughly the same as the English word "she", and as with Odie it has that nice "not actually named for what it is" thing going on:

Person: Is it a boy or a girl?
Me: A boy
Person: What's he called?
Me: [ʃiː]
Person: I thought you said he was a boy?...

[:P]
Oh.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I knew "sidhe" was pronounced [ʃi], but wouldn't know how to pronounce "Sith" as a Celtic word. If you hadn't told me the origin of Sith, I would have assumed it came from "Revenge of the ____" (even though I've never seen that movie) and pronounced it to rhyme with Smith.

Sometimes "shea" (as in shea butter) is pronounced [ʃi] too, although it can also be [ʃei] like the name.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 56,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 01:57

Khemehekis wrote:
Sun 11 Feb 2018, 01:19
Sounds like a lot of fun. I knew "sidhe" was pronounced [ʃi], but wouldn't know how to pronounce "Sith" as a Celtic word. If you hadn't told me the origin of Sith, I would have assumed it came from "Revenge of the ____" (even though I've never seen that movie) and pronounced it to rhyme with Smith.
It's a bit of both. The name ultimately derives from the Scottish Gaelic "Cat Sìth", roughly meaning "Fairy Cat", and it will take the pronunciation [ʃi:], but you're right that Star Wars did play a role in choosing that name, because the Sith do rule.

Khemehekis wrote:
Sun 11 Feb 2018, 01:19
Sometimes "shea" (as in shea butter) is pronounced [ʃi] too, although it can also be [ʃei] like the name.
I had a quick check, and the name "Shea" is so much fun, coming from an Irish name "Séaghdha", but "shea" as in the butter comes from a Bambara word "si" which is pronounced, as far as I can tell, [ʃi]. I assume the [ʃei] pronunciation is the result of influence from the pronunciation of the identically spelt name.
Just one time.
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 13:34

I've had a lot of cats throughout my life so far, but they've all had some pretty common names.
My father found our first kitty hiding from some stray dog in our garden, but it was so little that we could not yet tell its gender. Still, determined to name it, we assumed it was a male and went for the most common Italian name for a male cat, i.e. Fuffi.
Turns out it was a female. Too late to change the name, so yeah, we had a female Fuffi.
Then some stray cats probably smelled her or something and came to our garden begging for food, but those never really got a name. One was sterilized though, and idk if that's universal, but here if you want to sterilize a cat you either pay some 200€ for the vet, or say it comes from a stray colony that you feed, and in that case you get it for free as part of the national healthcare system but they have to cut a piece of the cat's ear to recognize it (horrible practice, I have to say). Her previous owner had apparently chosen the latter, thus we used to refer to her as orecchia tagliata (cut ear).
Another female cat was around until she was 8 or something, and had a tendency to breastfeed (is this proper English for animals?) other cats' kittens, thus she became la mamma ([the] mother).
Then all of our stray cats eventually disappeared, and we were left with none until some 4-5 years ago, when we got two kittens from my mother's boyfriend. Two black girls. I named one Fanny after the Italian name of Dumbledore's phoenix Fawkes, and mum got to name the other one, who was very shy, probably still missed her mother a lot, thus spent a lot of time sleeping on the sofa, something local slang refers to as polleggio. Hence, her name became Polly.
When they were old enough, we let those cats out in our garden, and pretty soon they fell in love with this big fat stray tabby cat who gave Polly two kittens and Fanny four (the cheating bastard!). We named Polly's little prides Lince (lynx) and Lilli, that is a female name, but this time... yeah, again, it wasn't a female but a male, so we changed the name to a more masculine Lillo. Fanny's kittens got named Tigre (tiger), Felix (pretty common name for a cat), Neretta (from Italian nero - black, as she was the only one that had retained her mother's color) and Occhiverdi (green-eyes). Tigre and Felix both disappeared after a while, probably found a new territory somewhere close, since we live by the countryside. We gave Occhiverdi away and Neretta got run over by a car during the day (we believe it was intentional, as she was a black cat crossing the driver's path and you know, superstitions). Polly herself disappeared, but randomly comes back from time to time, so we're now left with Fanny, Lince, Lillo and the big fat tabby cat, whom we call Rosso, i.e. Italian for red.

Oh, I also have a dog, a female german shepherd. Her name is Diana, after Lady D, although we pronounce it the Italian way /djana/.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: [:)] | :rus: :nld: [:|] | :deu: :fin: :ell: [:(] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żǒv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vǒl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żǒven...
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 15:14

I'd be more likely to use "nurse" than "breastfeed" for animals.

Interesting to hear about ear-cutting as a mark of being fixed in Italy--that's done with trap-neuter-release programs in the United States too, to make it easy to identify which feral cats have been fixed and which haven't. Didn't realize it was global.
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 15:41

alynnidalar wrote:
Sun 11 Feb 2018, 15:14
I'd be more likely to use "nurse" than "breastfeed" for animals.
Yeah, Google Translate suggested that as well, but I thought it implied just looking after the kittens, whereas they actually drank her milk. I guess I should have trusted it for once.
alynnidalar wrote:
Sun 11 Feb 2018, 15:14
Interesting to hear about ear-cutting as a mark of being fixed in Italy--that's done with trap-neuter-release programs in the United States too, to make it easy to identify which feral cats have been fixed and which haven't. Didn't realize it was global.
It looks like permanently damaging the cat is the only way... I really hope they can come up with less invasive solutions in the future!
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: [:)] | :rus: :nld: [:|] | :deu: :fin: :ell: [:(] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żǒv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vǒl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żǒven...
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 18:18

My cat's name is Max and my dog's name is Pluto. lol. I'm afraid I don't have any interesting conlang-inspired names. [xP]

Maybe I'll name my next cat the Lihemlinyan word for cat: záhnis, or maybe I'll name him after the Lihmelinyan king Nahnulátnas [¬.¬] I don't think my conlang translates well into pet names...
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 17:28

Pabappa wrote:
Sat 10 Feb 2018, 18:13
😁I sense a password mining operation in progress here
!!!

My Black Lab was (is?) named “Harley Cupcake Houston Chappell”. I had to give him away when we lost our house. He was quite healthy then but he’s probably dead of old age now.
We got him as a pup at an ASPCA event at a Harley-Davidson store; so my ex wanted to name him “Harley”. She invoked the “I’m the one writing the check” privilege.
My daughter, then a pre-schooler, wanted to name him “Cupcake”.
I just had a premonition that at some future time I would be addressing him saying “... we have a problem”. So I wanted to name him “Houston”, because that’s a good name for someone so addressed.
None of us would compromise. The only point of consensus was that he should share our family name.

Our black cat I had named “Chaka”. I told our adult relatives that I had named him after the Zulu chief, because of his fierce and brave personality — and this was true. But I told our preteen relatives that his full name was “Chaka Let” because of his color — and this was also true.

Chaka’s predecessor was a huge Classic British Shorthair Marmalade Tabby I had named “Ruslan”. In spite of his size, youth, and energy, he had been completely cowed and dominated by our female CBSMT whom my ex had named “SweetPea”. After some asshole shot Ruslan we got Chaka from the pound. He was the only kitten there who was still undaunted and curious enough to take the initiative and reach out and hook my wedding ring and bring it in for a closer look. We thought SweetPea needed a companion she couldn’t dominate. It was only later that we realized how badly we’d underestimated Chaka’s indomitability. Though he was always smaller than her he was always in charge from day one. Even neutering him didn’t make him any less macho.

Before I was married I inherited a Black Lab Border Collie mix from my kid sister, who was going off to college and couldn’t take him with her. She’d named him “Chippendale” because of his legs. He eventually died of extreme old age (20 years).
SweetPea also died of old age. Chaka was hit by a car.

There were many more dogs and cats, and a few other mammals and reptiles and birds. But I can’t remember anything interesting about their names.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 00:44

When I was a kid, I had several African clawed frogs. They've been dead for years now, but I still remember that today's the "anniversary" of me getting the first one, which I named "Xenopus", because the scientific name for the species is Xenopus laevis, and I'm bad at naming animals.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Fri 13 Apr 2018, 21:26

That reminds me of the stuffed rabbit I had as a child, which I named Bunny.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » Sat 14 Apr 2018, 07:13

The dog I have right now is named Puppy actually [xP]