in anticipation of seeing _Black Panther_

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Keenir
runic
runic

in anticipation of seeing _Black Panther_

Post by Keenir » Thu 26 Apr 2018, 23:01

Things I hope to learn from the _Black Panther_ movie if its the film i see it tonight:

Spoiler:
what happened a thousand years ago to drive the Wakandans into hyperisolation? (the Swahili coastal states? Ethiopia?) {used to be a general "many thousands of years ago" - the change of number doesn't alter the basic question of Why}

Spoiler:
where is it located?
{Wakanda used to move around more than the mole in _Robin Hood: Men in Tights_}

Spoiler:
are they still using a Khoisan language as one of the languages of the Wakandan royal family?
{got that tidbit from a review of _Captain America: Civil War_}

{its not a problem, its just a surprise, particularly if Wakanda is in the Horn - it'd be like finding an Indo-European language native to Malaysia...and for all I know, there really is one there}

* {SPOILER FOR a commercial for _AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR_}...
Spoiler:
if an attempt at bowing is greeted with "we don't do that here", then how is respect to a monarch demonstrated?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Keenir
runic
runic

Re: in anticipation of seeing _Black Panther_

Post by Keenir » Fri 27 Apr 2018, 03:00

Saw _Black Panther_ tonight...enjoyed it.

This was an example of...a moral victory? Yes,
Spoiler:
T'Challa was victorious (is it a spoiler if we all know The Hero is going to win in the end?)...but the aims of those he defeated, are what are enacted in the end: opening Wakanda to help the world. (granted not as extreme as some wished,
but still)
It was also a good dynastic struggle...the way _Thor_ tried to be, and failed to be.
Film didn't say how long
Spoiler:
the isolation was...said the Five Tribes kept to themselves, and only pulled up the isolation when the outside world started sniffing and could have found vibranium
Written script of Wakanda reminded me of
Spoiler:
Egyptian Hieroglyph, South Arabian script (Sana'a), and Ethiopian -
why do i keep forgetting the name?
Not sure how total the isolation of Wakanda is...some of the
Spoiler:
rebel leaders at the start of the film, seemed to recognize Wakandan tech. {or they sound the alarm when anything lands on their trucks, however tiny|
Not sure about the language/language family being used,
Spoiler:
even in the land of the dead.
I'm going to guess that Wakandans (or at least the royal family) traces ancestry
Spoiler:
through the fathers, but heritage and rights through the mothers...otherwise Killmonger would've qualified & been brought to Wakanda as a kid.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
esoanem
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: in anticipation of seeing _Black Panther_

Post by esoanem » Tue 01 May 2018, 12:23

The MCU has used Xhosa (a Nguni Bantu language from South Africa) as a stand-in for Wakandan (which now overlaps pretty well with the combination of Rwanda and Burundi). The script is also clearly very heavily based on Tifinagh (many of the characters are identical but used for unrelated sounds) although the person responsible for it instead claims that it's based on evolving Nsibidi forwards so that it becomes a script rather than a "pictographic script" which shows a profound misunderstanding of Nsibidi and also how scripts work. The characters they actually used also don't look much like Nsibidi which also casts doubt on that explanation.

I liked the film but the worldbuilding in it is truly atrocious and replicates a lot of the imperialist attitudes the film tries to criticise.
My pronouns are they/them/their

:gbr: native | :esp: advanced | :deu: intermediate | :fra: intermediate | :rus: basic | :ell: lapsed | :navi: lapsed | :con: making a bunch