Vexillological linguistic families

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Vexillological linguistic families

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 24 May 2018, 23:01

This whole thing is a joke, or at least a flight of fancy!

More than one person — Solarius, inter alia — have remarked on the relationship between the languages of Australia and those around the Black Sea, and the languages of Tasmania and those around the Sea of Azov. See Solarius’s posts around Dec 2011. The theory is that the languages were in contact until a radical tectonic event removed the land masses of Australia and Tasmania, leaving basins for the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.

I propose a new typology of national languages, based on their flags.

The first large group I’ve noticed is Poland, Indonesia, Monaco, and Singapore.
Who can elucidate their similarities? How much of that similarity is familial, and how much is typological?
Do they have any deep cognates? Can we reconstruct proto-PIMS?

Morocco and Vietnam are also similar. I think Catalonia belongs in a group with them?

What other types or families can anyone think of?
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Re: Vexillological linguistic families

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 24 May 2018, 23:12

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698&p=72727&hilit= ... nia#p72727

There was a more extensive and also more pertinent discussion on the ZBB.
I can’t get to it, though.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 25 May 2018, 01:28

eldin raigmore wrote:
Thu 24 May 2018, 23:01
I propose a new typology of national languages, based on their flags.

The first large group I’ve noticed is Poland, Indonesia, Monaco, and Singapore.
Who can elucidate their similarities? How much of that similarity is familial, and how much is typological?
Do they have any deep cognates? Can we reconstruct proto-PIMS?

Morocco and Vietnam are also similar. I think Catalonia belongs in a group with them?
I'd add Burma, but I'd beg to most courteously differ about Catalonia. Not starry enough by half! But one might possibly include Esperantistan as an outlying relative. Perhaps related only be areal feature sharing?

I concur entirely on the whole PIMS Superfamily Theory. To which, I think it's obvious, we must add Greenlandic! --- GIMPS!

Though I think perhaps we might consider Monaccian as a dialect of Singaporasque. And verse viça. But we must nòt confuse either with Moroggasque, which is an entirely different matter altogether.

Similarly, Irish is a dialect of Cote d' Ivoirienne (and viçe verşa); but only tangentially related to Italian.
What other types or families can anyone think of?
Obviously the historical United Kingdom megafamily, which includes Malaysia and Murica and Kingdom of Hawaii; and several other related offshoots like the BIOT, Australia, South Georgia, Fiji, Falkalnds, Greece, Jersey, Porto Rico, etc, etc. Surely, the largest vexillolinguistic group going!

Another great family must surely be the venerable Byzantine Superfamily: Monastic Republican, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Moldovan, Serbian, Virgin Islandian and Albanian.

A very interesting theory you've got going here! I think you should write this up as it should be readily accepted in some major linguisthilarious scholarly journal such as the Speculative Grammarian!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Fri 25 May 2018, 03:25

What about the RWB Tricoloric family? Puzzling this one out has stymied linguists for centuries. My proposal:

Southwest Tricoloric = Dutch, Luxembourgish, Serbian, Croatian, Paraguayan(?)

Northeast Tricoloric = Russian, Slovenian, Slovakian

The coats of arms in Slovenian, Slovakian, Croatian, Serbian could be the result of a sprachbund--a sort of "central" area of contact. The position of red seems to be more fundamental to delineating the branches; others disagree and posit a separate branch for those with coats of arms, the so-called "Heraldic Theory" of Tricoloric linguistics. In my proposal, the homeland would probably be somewhere around where Croatia and Slovenia meet, this being the area of greatest diversity.

The position of Paraguayan remains unresolved. It's best explained as a result of later migrations, but the migrations are not adequately explained. Paraguayan has bizarre features not found in any other Tricoloric languages.

And is French a marginal member of this group or the result of a substrate? Perhaps it deserves its own branch, i.e. Franco-Tricoloric(?)
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Fri 25 May 2018, 03:57

Who could forget the Finno-Nordic family? Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, and Finland.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 25 May 2018, 11:26

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Fri 25 May 2018, 03:25
What about the RWB Tricoloric family? Puzzling this one out has stymied linguists for centuries. My proposal:

Southwest Tricoloric = Dutch, Luxembourgish, Serbian, Croatian, Paraguayan(?)

Northeast Tricoloric = Russian, Slovenian, Slovakian

The coats of arms in Slovenian, Slovakian, Croatian, Serbian could be the result of a sprachbund--a sort of "central" area of contact. The position of red seems to be more fundamental to delineating the branches; others disagree and posit a separate branch for those with coats of arms, the so-called "Heraldic Theory" of Tricoloric linguistics. In my proposal, the homeland would probably be somewhere around where Croatia and Slovenia meet, this being the area of greatest diversity.

The position of Paraguayan remains unresolved. It's best explained as a result of later migrations, but the migrations are not adequately explained. Paraguayan has bizarre features not found in any other Tricoloric languages.

And is French a marginal member of this group or the result of a substrate? Perhaps it deserves its own branch, i.e. Franco-Tricoloric(?)
Then how to explain the Irish - Cote d' Ivoirienne convergence! Clearly tricoloral in nature, but unrelated to Old Russian https://www.slavorum.org/wp-content/upl ... 60_720.jpg. I think the orthogonal nature of Irish / Cote d' Ivoirienne, Italian and French speak of a different original urheimat.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Fri 25 May 2018, 14:37

There's also the Arabic family: Egypt, Yemen, Kuwait, Syria, Iraq, Western Sahara, Jordan, Palestine, Sudan and the United Arab Emirates, with possible more distant links to Libya, Iraqi Kurdistan and possibly even as far as Afghnanistan.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 25 May 2018, 17:31

There’s too much great stuff for me to reply to everything! Let me just say I like all of it!

Besides the Yoo-Kayic* family/sprachbund, there seem to be also Yoo-Essic* and Yoo-Ennic* and Redfieldian families.

*(There may be better names. Astro-Striatic, e.g.; or Stellar-Seriatic.)

Good observations about TriColoric!
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » Sun 27 May 2018, 01:12

Australian territories have similar flags as well as many US states consisting of nothing but a blue background and a seal.

Take a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_Oceania
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam » Tue 19 Jun 2018, 11:10

On this approach Georgian and English just be closely related!
Twitter: @jsbaker750
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Wed 20 Jun 2018, 05:58

Curlyjimsam wrote:
Tue 19 Jun 2018, 11:10
On this approach Georgian and English just be closely related!
Right!