Anyone want to make my wiki multilingual?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
ThatAnalysisGuy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Anyone want to make my wiki multilingual?

Post by ThatAnalysisGuy » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 19:17

Hello fellow CBB mates. I have been working on a new wiki called Penguin Ice Wiki, which is a central wiki for my wiki projects (similar to the Meta-Wiki of Wikimedia Foundations), and are all part of my future company. I need some skilled English and non-English speakers to make translations. The link to my wiki is:

http://penguinicewikis.com/mw19/index.php/Main_Page

To create another version of the main page, you must click on a language at the top of the screen. I recommend that either a fluent speaker of the language you are contributing in or a person who uses various dictionary and translation sources of the language can make these contributions to my wiki.

Before posting, I have a favor for you. Feel free to share what languages you speak, but specifically state how fluent you are in those languages. Otherwise, you are free to share your thoughts on this.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: Anyone want to make my wiki multilingual?

Post by Salmoneus » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 23:14

...so, to get this straight...

...you want to run a company, ie. a profit-making entity, and you want random strangers to devote their time to translating your content for you, so that you can make money from their efforts, and you want them to do this for free?

...and you think it's a good idea to say you're doing them a favour by letting them do translation work for you for free?

...and you've come up with this request before you actually have any content to translate!?

Could I offer a suggestion? How about re-ordering your timeline a little? How about, first you create your corporate empire offering so many different projects that they require an entire suite of linked encyclopaedias to describe to your adoring public, and then you create those wikis and fill them with content, and then you ask people to translate your content to other languages having first, and this seems like a key part of the ordering here, offered them market-rate remuneration for their labour? Possible idea?
ThatAnalysisGuy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ThatAnalysisGuy » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 00:00

Salmoneus wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 23:14
Could I offer a suggestion? How about re-ordering your timeline a little? How about, first you create your corporate empire offering so many different projects that they require an entire suite of linked encyclopaedias to describe to your adoring public, and then you create those wikis and fill them with content, and then you ask people to translate your content to other languages having first, and this seems like a key part of the ordering here, offered them market-rate remuneration for their labour? Possible idea?
I have been trying to create the other wikis, but on the second one I started, I had problems setting up a separate database for its pages and users. I am currently in the process of figuring out and learning how to fix these errors and access denied messages so that I can get it up and running.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 02:18

ThatAnalysisGuy wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 00:00
Salmoneus wrote:
Sun 29 Jul 2018, 23:14
I have been trying to create the other wikis, but on the second one I started, I had problems setting up a separate database for its pages and users. I am currently in the process of figuring out and learning how to fix these errors and access denied messages so that I can get it up and running.
Also: what's Penguin Ice Creations? What's your creative product, your business plan & model, how will you pay your translators, what capital do you have on hand, where are your offices located, what state (or country) is your company registered in, etc, etc?

I'm sorry (well, no I'm not!), but I agree 100% with Salmoneus on this one. You don't run a company (present or future) by requesting free labour from your "fellow CBB mates" when the sole modicum of your company's existence comprises an empty but generic Mediawiki page with a name on it, no pointers to any kind of real web or actual presence in the market place, no hint at what your business is about and, to be quite honest, having amassed the ponderous quantity of eight posts in this forum, 25% of which are in this thread.

So, what's the deal?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 03:09

I'm sorry to say that, assuming Salmoneus has understood you correctly and this is a for-profit venture, the House Rules do not permit advertisement. Admittedly that section of the rules is a tad vague, but in this instance you do seem to be asking more for unpaid work than for help. And as Sal and Elemtilas have pointed out, what is this for?

I had to follow Elemtilas' lead on this, and I'm equally surprised to find that you have yet to mention such a venture, whether for profit or otherwise , on the board, which again raises the question of "what is this for?" with, as Sal points out, no explanation in the OP, let alone anywhere else.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Sal, despite your reply to him. You have nothing to translate, nothing in the way of context on the board, and, as far as we know, we're being asked to work for free without expecting the same of you. I'd recommend explaining yourself a bit better before expecting positive responses.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 14:23

Might be interested, but what is Penguin Ice or the content of the wiki? Is it related to conlang activities?
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang