Conlanger stereotype poll

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
vampireshark
water
water
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri 20 Jan 2012, 15:51
Location: Luxembourg (LU); occasionally North Carolina (US)
Contact:

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by vampireshark » Wed 05 Sep 2018, 00:40

Oh, why not.

1.) Gender: cis-male
2.) Sexual orientation: gay
3.) Handedness: strongly right-handed
4.) Nationality: United States of America; born in Hawaii, citizen of North Carolina
5.) Ethnicity you primarily identify with: German, Irish, and assorted other British Isles demonyms
6.) Neurotype: probably undiagnosed neuroatypical
7.) Health conditions and physical disabilities: nyet
8.) Do you wear glasses? For driving and shooting only
9.) Facial hair: bearded, but prefer to keep it short-ish
10.) Body type: by most measures, underweight
11.) Subculture: (squiggle of confusion) Well, I like metal...
12.) Species/breed of pets: Back home, one cat and two parakeets
13.) Religion: agnostic (though I put atheist on my application for an Indian visa, so...)
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
User avatar
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun 14 May 2017, 09:39
Contact:

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Reyzadren » Wed 05 Sep 2018, 22:37

1. Gender: Male
2. Sexual orientation: Straight
3. Handedness: Right
4. Nationality: (non-canon)
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: Other
6. Neurotype: No mental health issues
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: None
8. Do you wear glasses? Yes
9. Facial hair: Beard goatee
10. Body type: Average
11. Subculture: Metalhead
12. Species/breed of pets: None
13. Religion: Islam
Last edited by Reyzadren on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2133
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Khemehekis » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 01:40

Reyzadren wrote:
Wed 05 Sep 2018, 22:37
6. Neurotype: None
Does this mean your neurotype is neurotypical?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7616
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 09:16

Khemehekis wrote:
Mon 03 Sep 2018, 22:30
Lambuzhao wrote:
Sat 01 Sep 2018, 12:54
3. Right-handedness (writing, pitching, using scissors, cultery), though I play racquet sports with my left (quasi-ambidextrous?)
So you're saying you're cross-handed?
Well, in my neck of the woods, if you weren't equally facile with both hands, but did somethings well with one hand, and other things well with the other, we used to say 'mix handed'. However, after googling both 'ambidextrous' and 'cross-handed', it seems like I would indeed fall under the 'cross-handed' group. :wat:
User avatar
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun 14 May 2017, 09:39
Contact:

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 22:19

Khemehekis wrote:
Thu 06 Sep 2018, 01:40
Reyzadren wrote:
Wed 05 Sep 2018, 22:37
6. Neurotype: None
Does this mean your neurotype is neurotypical?
Whoops, I meant to say: No mental health issues. Edited.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2133
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Khemehekis » Fri 07 Sep 2018, 02:58

gestaltist wrote:
Fri 31 Aug 2018, 10:36
11. Subculture - too old for this bullshit
Hmmm . . . you say here that you were born in 1981, which makes you two years younger than I am. I still identify as a beatnik! So are you ageing too quickly, or am I just growing up too slowly? :wat:

EDIT: Also, I love this line: "Unless I am being pessimistic: then I envision Poland as a nuclear wasteland after an invasion by Putin’s Russia."
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
Linguifex
roman
roman
Posts: 949
Joined: Fri 03 Aug 2012, 07:07
Location: Ohio

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Linguifex » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 21:16

Are you the ultimate conlanger stereotype? Who's the most archetypal conlanger here? And what IS the actual profile of a typical conlanger, anyway? Let us find out!

1. Gender: Cismale
2. Sexual orientation: Straight
3. Handedness: Right
4. Nationality: American (Ohio)
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: Polish, Sicilian
6. Neurotype: Autistic (ASD/Asperger's), OCD
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: Allergies, autoimmune issues
8. Glasses: Yes
9. Facial hair: No
10. Body type: Overweight/obese (fluctuates a bit depending on factors such as medicine)
11. Subculture: Nerd, geek, metalhead, introvert
12. Species/breed of pets: Dog (blue heeler/lab mix)
13. Religion: Quasi-Lutheran (LCMS; I haven't been catechized yet)
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.0
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6185
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 09 Sep 2018, 03:57

Lambuzhao wrote:
Thu 06 Sep 2018, 09:16
Khemehekis wrote:
Mon 03 Sep 2018, 22:30
Lambuzhao wrote:
Sat 01 Sep 2018, 12:54
3. Right-handedness (writing, pitching, using scissors, cultery), though I play racquet sports with my left (quasi-ambidextrous?)
So you're saying you're cross-handed?
Well, in my neck of the woods, if you weren't equally facile with both hands, but did somethings well with one hand, and other things well with the other, we used to say 'mix handed'. However, after googling both 'ambidextrous' and 'cross-handed', it seems like I would indeed fall under the 'cross-handed' group. :wat:

Given the above, I guess I’m slightly cross-handed too.
There are many things I do equally well with either hand.
There are even more things I do better with my right hand.
And there are a bunch of things I need both hands for.
But there are just a few things I do better with my left hand.
User avatar
lsd
roman
roman
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:11
Contact:

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by lsd » Sun 09 Sep 2018, 12:25

1. Gender: male (wtf is cis)...
2. Sexual orientation: my private choice...
3. Handedness: I've got two hands...
4. Nationality.: planet earth...
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify: human being...
6. Neurotype: don't know (care) what other think about, for me it's ok...
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: good for me, but entropist...
8. Do you wear glasses? I don't care of not seeing every microscopic thing...
9. Facial hair: the hairs grow, some time I cut
10. Body type : don't know (care) what other think about, for me it's ok
11. Subculture : french...
12. Species/breed of pets : I don't like to too domesticate animals I live with...
13. Religion: my private choice...
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7616
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 09 Sep 2018, 13:52

Khemehekis wrote:
Fri 07 Sep 2018, 02:58
gestaltist wrote:
Fri 31 Aug 2018, 10:36
11. Subculture - too old for this bullshit
Hmmm . . . you say here that you were born in 1981, which makes you two years younger than I am. I still identify as a beatnik! So are you ageing too quickly, or am I just growing up too slowly? :wat:

EDIT: Also, I love this line: "Unless I am being pessimistic: then I envision Poland as a nuclear wasteland after an invasion by Putin’s Russia."
I'm somewhere between a decade to a decade and a half older than gestaltist. Not to (mis)speak for ole gesty, but
I think he just doesn't want to consider himself a part of that hair-slicing.

Frankly, neither do I.

Also, IMHO 'beatnik' would refer to folks from the mid fifties to maybe the early sixties (¿?). Some of my eldest cousins consider themselves part of the 'Beat Generation' and they were born in the late forties and early fifties.
At least in my limited experience in the :usa: , that is.

Nevertheless, being born outside of the traditional/stereotypical temporal confines of the Beat Generation, yet choosing to be part of the Beat Generation, is completely okay by me.
[;)]

SInce I like and resonate with a number aspects of various subcultures, I'd say I'm a Bowie/Prince/Dr Who
multi-subcultural regenerational.
Good Gawd, that's a mouthful [>_<]

Perchance chrono-chamæleon is just a tad less biggerer and less byzantine (or not).
Mayhap misfit is shorter and more apt, though not necessarily better. :roll:
[:S]

Honestly, I would default to the TOFĐB group at the drop of a ha'penny. [:P]
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6185
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 09 Sep 2018, 13:57

lsd wrote:
Sun 09 Sep 2018, 12:25
1. Gender: male (wtf is cis)...
2. Sexual orientation: my private choice...
3. Handedness: I've got two hands...
4. Nationality.: planet earth...
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify: human being...
6. Neurotype: don't know (care) what other think about, for me it's ok...
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: good for me, but entropist...
8. Do you wear glasses? I don't care of not seeing every microscopic thing...
9. Facial hair: the hairs grow, some time I cut
10. Body type : don't know (care) what other think about, for me it's ok
11. Subculture : french...
12. Species/breed of pets : I don't like to too domesticate animals I live with...
13. Religion: my private choice...
Why even post this refusal to answer?
If you didn’t want to tell us any of these thirteen data, you could have just ignored this thread.
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7616
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 09 Sep 2018, 14:23

eldin raigmore wrote:
Sun 09 Sep 2018, 13:57
lsd wrote:
Sun 09 Sep 2018, 12:25
1. Gender: male (wtf is cis)...
2. Sexual orientation: my private choice...
3. Handedness: I've got two hands...
4. Nationality.: planet earth...
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify: human being...
6. Neurotype: don't know (care) what other think about, for me it's ok...
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: good for me, but entropist...
8. Do you wear glasses? I don't care of not seeing every microscopic thing...
9. Facial hair: the hairs grow, some time I cut
10. Body type : don't know (care) what other think about, for me it's ok
11. Subculture : french...
12. Species/breed of pets : I don't like to too domesticate animals I live with...
13. Religion: my private choice...
Why even post this refusal to answer?
If you didn’t want to tell us any of these thirteen data, you could have just ignored this thread.
No need to seize 'em at the base of their snarglies: let the 'french earthling' have their say. Clearly lsd must be the fourth Conehead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j15rPm4i-t8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A5ExIszvPc
[;)]
User avatar
lsd
roman
roman
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:11
Contact:

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by lsd » Sun 09 Sep 2018, 16:06

damn, i'm discovered...
(but this is not a refusal to answer...that is precisely my point on this, I conlang precisely to following my way...)
User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 22:31

1. Sex: Male
2. Sexual orientation: Honestly not sure, but I don't care tbh
3. Handedness: Right
4. Nationality: English (shame saying "European" won't work so well in the future)
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: White British (I get to choose? What?)
6. Neurotype: History of depression, but that's about it
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: None, but I'm weak as all fuck
8. Do you wear glasses? No
9. Facial hair: Barely
10. Body type: Ectomorph
11. Subculture: musician, Linux-user (that should tell you enough right?)
12. Species/breed of pets: None
13. Religion: Gnostic Atheist
Last edited by OTʜᴇB on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by gestaltist » Tue 11 Sep 2018, 09:37

Khemehekis wrote:
Fri 07 Sep 2018, 02:58
gestaltist wrote:
Fri 31 Aug 2018, 10:36
11. Subculture - too old for this bullshit
Hmmm . . . you say here that you were born in 1981, which makes you two years younger than I am. I still identify as a beatnik! So are you ageing too quickly, or am I just growing up too slowly? :wat:

EDIT: Also, I love this line: "Unless I am being pessimistic: then I envision Poland as a nuclear wasteland after an invasion by Putin’s Russia."
I don't think there's too-quick or too-slow aging. I find subcultures juvenile and don't identify with them anymore. It's how I feel about them.

And thanks for linking to that earlier post of mine. It mentioned Lirsh - a conlang I forgot I even had.
User avatar
CarsonDaConlanger
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu 02 Nov 2017, 20:55

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by CarsonDaConlanger » Mon 17 Sep 2018, 16:10

1. Gender Cismale
2. Sexual orientation bisexual
3. Handedness right
4. Nationality. US-Kansas (Yee-Haw!)
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with. English
6. Neurotype ADHD
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities. Cystic Fibrosis
8. Do you wear glasses? No
9. Facial hair No
10. Body type average
11. Subculture metalhead/nerd/theater kid
12. Species/breed of pets Dogs Mutt
13. Religion Agnostic
User avatar
rgj40q
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat 06 Oct 2018, 20:14
Location: Achinsk

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by rgj40q » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 12:52

1. Gender. Male.
2. Sexual orientation. Straight.
3. Handedness. Right-handed.
4. Nationality. Siberian.
5. Ethnicity. East Slav.
6. Neurotype. Normie.
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities. None.
8. Do you wear glasses? No.
9. Facial hair. I shave.
10. Body type. Average to muscular. (I work on it.)
11. Subculture. Loner.
12. Species/breed of pets. I like cats, but don't have any.
13. Religion. Agnostic.
User avatar
rgj40q
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat 06 Oct 2018, 20:14
Location: Achinsk

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by rgj40q » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 16:02

So far the conlanger stereotype is:
* cismale 95,65%
* right-handed 69,57%
* neurotypical 52,17%
* glasses wearer 60,87%
* pet owner 65,22%
* not into religion 52,17%

I didn't count attributes below 50%.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6185
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 23:18

rgj40q wrote:
Sun 11 Nov 2018, 12:52
4. Nationality. Siberian.
Are dream catchers a Siberian thing too?
User avatar
rgj40q
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat 06 Oct 2018, 20:14
Location: Achinsk

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by rgj40q » Mon 12 Nov 2018, 06:10

eldin raigmore wrote:
Sun 11 Nov 2018, 23:18
Are dream catchers a Siberian thing too?
I doubt that, I've seen it first in the 2003 film Dreamcatcher. [:)]
Post Reply