(ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:37

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Salmoneus » Tue 17 May 2016, 13:06

Actually, in the UK the trend is in the opposite direction. In the seventies, everything was indeed ironed out: two tiers of administration, technicaly given different names when they were in charge of the biggest cities, but otherwise uniform. Since then, it's gradually become more complex again - most importantly, the smaller cities are now generally run by "unitary authorities" independent of the rural counties around them.
User avatar
Sglod
sinic
sinic
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue 22 Dec 2015, 11:06

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Sglod » Wed 18 May 2016, 20:46

My county is very rural - probably one of the most remote places in the country outside Scotland - and sparsely populated. A single council runs the whole county and do a... debatably good job... [:D]
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Sat 06 Aug 2016, 05:07

Can anyone explain to me why the Geogian outfits in the Olympic opening ceremony are so argued-over? I thought they looked kind of cool, since they look like traditional Caucasian garb and I love it when people embrace their traditional culture instead of trying to be all cosmopolitan, although probably dressing like that in Brazil in summer isn't very comfortable.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
User avatar
Frislander
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2054
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 17:47
Location: The North

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Frislander » Sat 06 Aug 2016, 07:31

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Can anyone explain to me why the Geogian outfits in the Olympic opening ceremony are so argued-over? I thought they looked kind of cool, since they look like traditional Caucasian garb and I love it when people embrace their traditional culture instead of trying to be all cosmopolitan, although probably dressing like that in Brazil in summer isn't very comfortable.
Further, could I ask what those weird tubular pockets on the front of the traditional Caucasian jacket are for?
Tanni
greek
greek
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 01:05

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Tanni » Sat 06 Aug 2016, 16:57

As I don't know where to put it, I put it here.

Forbidden History of the Sumerians

The Ancient Sumerian Cuneiform Tablets True Meaning Revealed

ca. 0:20:00 cuneiform script
ca. 1:20:00 Din gir -- something about Hebrew and the mistranslation of the word god
ca. 1:39:26 The tower of Babel story
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
User avatar
gach
MVP
MVP
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed 07 Aug 2013, 00:26
Location: displaced from Helsinki

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by gach » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 13:26

Aliens playing in our own history? The short and definitive answer is no. If you want to entertain that idea, you have to present waterproof evidence for it and make sure that your analysis actually is rigorous. Cherry picking wishfully made connections and overdone image manipulations or going "Might here have been aliens, my answer is a resounding yes!" simply doesn't count.

Though, if you like entertaining yourself with the ancient astronaut narrative, you can hardly do better than read some of Hoaglands writings. You know, the face on the Mars guy. My personal favourites are when he claims to find ancient ruins of giant crystal domes on the Moon from photographic glare or when he goes on and on about how Saturn's moon Iapetus is a fully artificial alien space station with stealth technology.
Tanni
greek
greek
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 01:05

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Tanni » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 14:33

gach wrote:Aliens playing in our own history? The short and definitive answer is no. If you want to entertain that idea, you have to present waterproof evidence for it and make sure that your analysis actually is rigorous. Cherry picking wishfully made connections and overdone image manipulations or going "Might here have been aliens, my answer is a resounding yes!" simply doesn't count.

Though, if you like entertaining yourself with the ancient astronaut narrative, you can hardly do better than read some of Hoaglands writings. You know, the face on the Mars guy. My personal favourites are when he claims to find ancient ruins of giant crystal domes on the Moon from photographic glare or when he goes on and on about how Saturn's moon Iapetus is a fully artificial alien space station with stealth technology.
This seems to be the typical reaction here: putting some weird interpretation into what the other did in order to bash that someone.

I wanted to share some interesting videos, nothing else. For the second video, I pointed out some interesting parts relevant to conscripting and conlanging. Would be interesting if someone having a good command on Hebrew can confirm the translations given.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by elemtilas » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 15:34

Tanni wrote:I wanted to share some interesting videos, nothing else. For the second video, I pointed out some interesting parts relevant to conscripting and conlanging. Would be interesting if someone having a good command on Hebrew can confirm the translations given.
For what it worths, I find the whole ancient astronaut thing terribly good fodder for otherworldly historical narrative! Whatever one's personal opinion might be about the validity of the theories, you can't deny that it's a good source for really ancient pre-historical history.

So, for the links, thank you much, Tanni!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
Egerius
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2382
Joined: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 20:29
Location: Not Rodentèrra
Contact:

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Egerius » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 16:30

elemtilas wrote:For what it worths, I find the whole ancient astronaut thing terribly good fodder for otherworldly historical narrative!
That's whwat inspired me to justify Earthly creatures on a different planet. Now the humans and androids are the aliens and fodder for mythological tales.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
User avatar
gach
MVP
MVP
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed 07 Aug 2013, 00:26
Location: displaced from Helsinki

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by gach » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 20:06

Tanni wrote:This seems to be the typical reaction here: putting some weird interpretation into what the other did in order to bash that someone.
Sorry if that's the impression. I just feel that every time the ancient astronaut story gets mentioned, it should be pointed out how completely the whole narrative lacks a connection with the real world. Very often the wishful thinking behind these theories is accompanied by scientific misunderstandings and totally erroneous interpretations of history and archeology. I agree that it's fascinating to think how would an extraplanetary intervention affect the development of a civilisation, but for learning about the actual history of ancient cultures, the material produced by the ancient astronaut people is next to useless. The accurate facts that they do provide get burried below a constant stream of rubbish.

Sumerians are in particular a lasting favourite of all sorts of crackpots so I'd suggest to be extra careful when researching their history. A lot of the ancient astronaut stuff connected to Sumerians goes back to Zecharia Sitchin who's well known for his questionable interpretations and bad translations of Sumerian texts.
User avatar
CrazyEttin
greek
greek
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon 28 Feb 2011, 19:43

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by CrazyEttin » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 22:00

Tanni wrote: This seems to be the typical reaction here: putting some weird interpretation into what the other did in order to bash that someone.

I wanted to share some interesting videos, nothing else. For the second video, I pointed out some interesting parts relevant to conscripting and conlanging. Would be interesting if someone having a good command on Hebrew can confirm the translations given.
If the translation is in a video about ancient astronauts or some other "secret forbidden history" bullshit it’s most likely as inaccurate as the rest of the viceo.
gach wrote: Sorry if that's the impression. I just feel that every time the ancient astronaut story gets mentioned, it should be pointed out how completely the whole narrative lacks a connection with the real world. Very often the wishful thinking behind these theories is accompanied by scientific misunderstandings and totally erroneous interpretations of history and archeology.
Also they’re often racist as hell.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:37

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Salmoneus » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 22:17

Tanni wrote:
gach wrote:Aliens playing in our own history? The short and definitive answer is no. If you want to entertain that idea, you have to present waterproof evidence for it and make sure that your analysis actually is rigorous. Cherry picking wishfully made connections and overdone image manipulations or going "Might here have been aliens, my answer is a resounding yes!" simply doesn't count.

Though, if you like entertaining yourself with the ancient astronaut narrative, you can hardly do better than read some of Hoaglands writings. You know, the face on the Mars guy. My personal favourites are when he claims to find ancient ruins of giant crystal domes on the Moon from photographic glare or when he goes on and on about how Saturn's moon Iapetus is a fully artificial alien space station with stealth technology.
This seems to be the typical reaction here: putting some weird interpretation into what the other did in order to bash that someone.

I wanted to share some interesting videos, nothing else. For the second video, I pointed out some interesting parts relevant to conscripting and conlanging. Would be interesting if someone having a good command on Hebrew can confirm the translations given.
Nobody 'bashed' you. Nobody said anything about you. You posted some videos, and somebody shared their opinion of the video. Surely that's the point of posting things?
alynnidalar
roman
roman
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 02:22
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by alynnidalar » Tue 09 Aug 2016, 15:56

CrazyEttin wrote:
gach wrote: Sorry if that's the impression. I just feel that every time the ancient astronaut story gets mentioned, it should be pointed out how completely the whole narrative lacks a connection with the real world. Very often the wishful thinking behind these theories is accompanied by scientific misunderstandings and totally erroneous interpretations of history and archeology.
Also they’re often racist as hell.
It's fascinating how often those two things go together. I mean, I've never heard anybody going on about how the Parthenon or Colosseum or whatever was built by aliens--it's pretty much only stuff that was built by non-white people that gets this treatment. Well, except maybe Stonehenge.
User avatar
gach
MVP
MVP
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed 07 Aug 2013, 00:26
Location: displaced from Helsinki

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by gach » Tue 09 Aug 2016, 17:31

I think there's a mix of an imperialist bend and plain convenience there. It's easier to weave source material into your narrative if both you and your audience are less informed about it. A certain sort of "tribal wisdom" does get a level of superficial recognition with all those interviews of Native American elders. Of course, you distort the mythologies to fit your own fancy by interpreting all the deities as aliens or something similar, so it's not a treatment I'd like to get myself.
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Tue 09 Aug 2016, 22:32

alynnidalar wrote:
CrazyEttin wrote:
gach wrote: Sorry if that's the impression. I just feel that every time the ancient astronaut story gets mentioned, it should be pointed out how completely the whole narrative lacks a connection with the real world. Very often the wishful thinking behind these theories is accompanied by scientific misunderstandings and totally erroneous interpretations of history and archeology.
Also they’re often racist as hell.
It's fascinating how often those two things go together. I mean, I've never heard anybody going on about how the Parthenon or Colosseum or whatever was built by aliens--it's pretty much only stuff that was built by non-white people that gets this treatment. Well, except maybe Stonehenge.
Yeah. I'm also fairly that gods aren't aliens. It's always "primitive people would interpret aliens as gods!" But the ancient descriptions of gods and the modern descriptions of aliens aren't anything alike (except for some of the Lovecraft kind of stuff, but that's never the kinds of aliens they have build the pyramids and be worshipped). Ancient people are not dumb... I wouldn't doubt that some ancient people would, say, see UFOs and put them in art sometimes (since a UFO is just something in the sky where you don't know what it is, and unusual things are frequently a subject of art) but saying "the center of all these cultures is aliens" is just sort of ridiculous.
gach wrote:I think there's a mix of an imperialist bend and plain convenience there. It's easier to weave source material into your narrative if both you and your audience are less informed about it. A certain sort of "tribal wisdom" does get a level of superficial recognition with all those interviews of Native American elders. Of course, you distort the mythologies to fit your own fancy by interpreting all the deities as aliens or something similar, so it's not a treatment I'd like to get myself.
Well, most people aren't super familiar with Celtic, Germanic, Baltic, or Slavic gods, but I never see them being ACTUALLY ALIENS. I also don't see people picking on Caucasians (like, actually from the Caucasus), who just look white to most Americans.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Keenir
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2435
Joined: Tue 22 May 2012, 02:05

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Keenir » Fri 12 Aug 2016, 09:41

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Well, most people aren't super familiar with Celtic, Germanic, Baltic, or Slavic gods, but I never see them being ACTUALLY ALIENS. I also don't see people picking on Caucasians (like, actually from the Caucasus), who just look white to most Americans.
probably in part because its politically dangerous: how many Caucasian groups can the average person name, aside from the Armenians and the Georgians?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Fri 12 Aug 2016, 21:42

Abkhazia and Azerbaijan! (I'm nearly 100% that was by a troll, as a lot of it is really just not things people would do accidentally.)

But really, why do we never see "Apollo/Thor/Morrígan are ACTUALLY ALIENS"? That doesn't seem very politically dangerous at all. And figures from religions that are commonly followed by many white Westerners are never actually aliens.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4277
Joined: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 02:27

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by qwed117 » Fri 12 Aug 2016, 22:10

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Abkhazia and Azerbaijan! (I'm nearly 100% that was by a troll, as a lot of it is really just not things people would do accidentally.)

But really, why do we never see "Apollo/Thor/Morrígan are ACTUALLY ALIENS"? That doesn't seem very politically dangerous at all. And figures from religions that are commonly followed by many white Westerners are never actually aliens.
I've heard "Jesus is an ALIEN", but it's usually followed up by "HE WILL KILL ALL NONBELIEVERS AT JUDGEMENT DAY", and something about how all the other aliens are really just satan

PS, that wiki is about a HP fanfic, that someone made. It's serious. Apparently there's a link to it on TvTropes and a NSFW wiki (which is probably encyclopedia dramatica (warning NSFL))
Spoiler: show
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Keenir
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2435
Joined: Tue 22 May 2012, 02:05

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Keenir » Fri 12 Aug 2016, 22:41

HoskhMatriarch wrote:But really, why do we never see "Apollo/Thor/Morrígan are ACTUALLY ALIENS"? That doesn't seem very politically dangerous at all. And figures from religions that are commonly followed by many white Westerners are never actually aliens.
to their credit, Ancient Aliens (on History Channel) does say that the Greek and Norse gods were aliens (ie, Thor, because he controlled thunder)....then again, they also say that aliens are the minds behind Washington DC's design, the Parthenon, Buddha/Buddha's revelation (ditto Jesus), etc.

its an extension of "Savages never carved these stones"...extending to the point that they disbelieve all humans are capable of building anything on their own.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: (ACH) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Fri 12 Aug 2016, 23:25

qwed117 wrote:
PS, that wiki is about a HP fanfic, that someone made. It's serious. Apparently there's a link to it on TvTropes and a NSFW wiki (which is probably encyclopedia dramatica (warning NSFL))
I meant that I'm sure that HP fanfic was made by a troll (not the wiki itself), so it doesn't mean the average person knows about Azerbaijan...
Keenir wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:But really, why do we never see "Apollo/Thor/Morrígan are ACTUALLY ALIENS"? That doesn't seem very politically dangerous at all. And figures from religions that are commonly followed by many white Westerners are never actually aliens.
to their credit, Ancient Aliens (on History Channel) does say that the Greek and Norse gods were aliens (ie, Thor, because he controlled thunder)....then again, they also say that aliens are the minds behind Washington DC's design, the Parthenon, Buddha/Buddha's revelation (ditto Jesus), etc.

its an extension of "Savages never carved these stones"...extending to the point that they disbelieve all humans are capable of building anything on their own.
Dirt huts? ALIENS!
Log cabins? ALIENS!
Tents? ALIENS!
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Post Reply