Greetings

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Stammalor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Greetings

Post by Stammalor » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 16:45

Aszev wrote:
Stammalor wrote:Vad är du för en? What kind of [something] are you? Used if you don't know some one's name or who you are
I've never heard this in my entire life.

I have heard it a few times by really old people (75+) and also read about it in a nwespaper once, but I am pretty sure that it's about to not being used any more
Stammalor wrote:Tjena(re) Well hallo there This one is interesting since it comes from the Swedish word for servent, "tjänare". No idea why
It's from an older greeting/expression where you'd claim to be someones servant. Parallell developments exist in several European languages, such as Italian ciao and South German servus, Hungarian szervusz.
I didn't know that, interesting [:)]
Sadanjatås = I wished we had survived, too bad we didn't

Talar svenska flytande (eller ja, typ skånska)
Speaking english, but dammit it's hard to spell!
Mi komencas paroli esperanton
Wo bu xihuan shou hanyu
Deutsche? Danke, aber nein
sqéxe
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sqéxe » Fri 25 Jan 2013, 09:34

Icelandic is as following (from what I know):

Hæ (Quite informal), based off "hi" in English.

Following are based on genders:

(Komdu) Sæll / (Komdu) Sæl (fem) - Hi. If "Komdu" is added with sæll/sæl, the literal translation turns into: "Come Happy"
(Komdu) Blessaður / (Komdu) Blessuð (Fem) - Another way of saying hi, yet it translates to "Blessed". Once again, if adding 'Komdu', this translates into "Come Blessed" - Can be used as hello and goodbye.
Komdu sæll og blessaður / Komdu sæl go blessuð (fem) - Come happy and blessed. (Yet again, it can translate as "hi" - Can be used as hello and goodbye.
Sæll vertu / sæl vertu (fem) - Be happy (hi)
Góðan dag / Góðan daginn (fem) - Good day! (This can be used at anytime during the day.)
Gott kvöld / Góða kvölið (fem) - Good evening.

lol, at how are you. "Hvað serigðu?" (Literally "What's up?)

Goodbyes:
Bæ - Bye
Vertu sæll / Vertu sæl (fem) - Be happy.

Any corrections, feel free to let me know.

Shuswap:

Wéyt-k - Hello (to one)
Wéytkp! - Hello! (to many)
Wéytk, le7 re7 stskitsʼc. - Hello, it is good you came.
Tscwinúcw-k. - Good morning. (Original greeting)

Pútucw! - Good bye! (to one)
Pútucw, me7 wíktsen penhén. - Goodbye, I will see you sometime.
Pútu-cwiye. - Goodbye. (to many)

...I barely know any, but from what I do know - there you go. :)
Fluent: :eng:
Conversational: :iku: :dan: :isl: :esp: :fra: :kor:, Kalaallisut.
Classes: Secwepectísm
DanH34
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by DanH34 » Fri 25 Jan 2013, 16:18

Here in the North East (of England), a common fairly informal greeting is 'Alright?' or 'Y'alright?'

This is pronounced something like 'oar-right' in my accent (IPA is nearly impossible on my phone, and my computer's knackered at the minute), or '(y')a-reet' by someone from Newcastle.

Responses are identical to 'How are you?'

Alternately, it can be used in place of 'Hi', and the response is simply to repeat the question.

Dan
Life's a bitch, then you die.

Zidhgebzhail Orthography
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:42

In some islands of the Caribbean (St. Lucia in particular - I haven't made a list of the others), "alright" and "okay" are used as greetings. "Alright" appears to take the place of "hello," and is asked as a question. "Okay" is more informal - rather like "hi." The response is generally to repeat one of those words if positive, or to simply say "no" if not. So a conversation might go like:

Bob: Joe! Alright?
Joe: Okay! Okay?
Bob: Alright!

As a boater, I've picked up the habit of greeting new people who are not within speaking range with a shouted "ahoy!" If they're looking at me or paying attention to me, I say "hello" or (in a less formal situation) "greetings" - if not, it's invariably "ahoy!"
I'm also prone to "hi," "hey," "hiya," "y'alright?" and "y'okay?" depending on the situation. Oh, and "'ello" on the phone, without fail.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Thu 12 Feb 2015, 16:17

Navaho might feel alien to you, but from a Swedish perspective even English things like saying "how do you do?" without expecting an answer are bizarre and seem terribly rude.

To me personally having "what's up?" answered with how someone is doing, rather than what they are doing is weird too, but not as weird, and definitely not rude.

Swedish has no specific phrase for answering the phone – "hallå" is as common on the line as it is IRL. Some answer with their name, tho, and of course at companies they will reply with the name of that.

I'd like to hear some more phrases, translated, from the Americas. Those of Europe all seem very similar and not even the East Asian ones are that far off.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Thu 12 Feb 2015, 16:38

In our Indonesian course we learned some rather old-fashioned greetings:

(Kamu) sudah makan?
2SG already eat
Have you eaten yet?

(Kamu) sudah mandi?
2SG already bathe
Have you taken a bath yet?

Nowadays most people just use differnt greeting. The first one of the following is more standard:

Apa kabar?
what news
How are you?

Kamu dari mana?

2SG from where
What have you just been doing? / What have just finished doing? Why are you here?

Hausa has a whole lot of greetings, and when I make the time, I'll post them here [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Fri 13 Feb 2015, 03:16

Japanese ones are really pretty boring and matter-of-fact.

The basic daily greetings just state the time of day you meet, with the implicit assumption that you are asking how, e.g. "how is your (time of day)", though the appropriate response is just to repeat the same word:

konnichiwa "hello" ("this day")
konbanwa "good evening" ("this evening")
ohayō (gozaimasu) "good morning" ("(it is) early")

When you arrive home, you say tadaima which is now a set abbreviation of tadaima kaerimashita which no one ever says. It means "(I have come home) just now"
The appropriate response is okaeri(nasai) which means "please come home"

When you are leaving home, you say itte kimasu "I will go and come" and the appropriate response is itte (i)rasshai (the "i" is always dropped through, really), which means "go and come back"

When you are leaving work you say otsukaresama (desu) which means, essentially "I recognize the word/effort/etc. you have done". The response is identical, though there is also gokurōsama (desu) which a superior may say to a subordinate, especially.

If you meet someone after not having seen them for a while, you can say hisashiburi which basically means "it's been a while"

Informally, people may use oi "hey" in front of someone's name. They may also say , possibly with konnichiwa or something added, when meeting someone unexpectedly.
hippopotame
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by hippopotame » Fri 24 Jul 2015, 10:08

In Telugu, you can just say "కులాసానా" (kulaasaanaa), which literally just translates to "happy?"
Of course you can also use the usual namaskaaram which tends to be more formal.
And elaa unnaavu (informal) or elaa unnaaru (formal) are often used as well, they translate literally to "how are you?"
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » Fri 24 Jul 2015, 10:57

Swiss German

Swiss German has quite a strict T-V division, with not only different pronouns and conjugations but also completely different greetings. And of course, as in any language, there are various subdivisions.

Formal:
  • Grüazi - an all-round formal greeting, appropriate at any time of the day, to anyone in your V-register. Etymology is not transparent but known: from Gott grüez y "God greet you.frm". In western Switzerland, where the 2P (rather than 3P) pronoun is used for formality, the form is Grüessech or similar.
  • Guata Morga/Obig - good morning/evening (as a greeting). In formal discourse, this is the only appropriate form of this greeting. Informally, the adjective is dropped.
  • Wia goot's Ina? - How goes-it you.frm.dat - "How are you?"
  • Ade ['a.te] - all-purpose formal valedictory. Appropriate always and everywhere. Loaned from some Romance lang, probably French. Alternative forms I'm aware of: ['at.jø] (adieu), ['at.ja] (adia). To me, adia implies more respect than normal ade, I use it mainly with old people.
  • Schöna Tag/Obig/{other timespan} - "pretty morning/evening/other". Counterpart to guata morga/obig, a valedictory.
We're not so creative with formal stuff. The informal list is longer:
  • Tschau - the most useful of words, combining hello and bye in a short italian loanword
  • Hallo - "hello". Yes, this is informal, watch out. Same as the following one, and apparently unlike standard german, these are not are not appropriate in V-register.
  • Tschüss - same as standard german, but see above.
  • Wia goot's - Informally, the dative pronoun is dropped (it'd be diar here)
  • Was lauft? - lit. what walks, "What's up?"
  • Ma gseet sich - one sees each.other - "till we meet next"
  • Bis grad/bald/denn/{time} - until very.soon/soon/then/{time}. Grad is used for timespans short enough that the other person could still be waiting when you come back (essentially brb), bald is for longer timespans (multiple hours or days). Denn is used when you've arranged a meeting time already.
  • Hoi - familiar greeting, mostly used towards nuclear family and children.
  • Sali - from french salut. I don't use this, but it sounds to me like it would be a synonym with hoi.
  • Ö, Ölla, Ue, Uella - No clue where they come from but these are quite common among the youth of my region (and nowhere else). Greetings only
  • Mach's guat - "do/make it well". This is our version of farewell, used for final goodbyes. I actually find it hard thinking about the phrase without getting emotional.
As a note, questions along the lines of "how are you?" are treated as questions, not set phrases. Violation of that convention makes you immediately seem very shallow.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Fri 22 Jul 2016, 11:33

It is said that Seri people ask each other "Where is Your Placenta Buried?" as a form to ask "where are you from":

https://lifeintheboomerlane.com/2012/06 ... ta-buried/

http://ecochildsplay.com/2012/07/02/do- ... is-buried/
Click here and here to know more about me.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)
Davush
sinic
sinic

Post by Davush » Tue 30 Aug 2016, 14:36

Gulf Arabic has quite a lot of different greetings depending on social relationships, formality, etc. It is important you reply with the correct reply - bedouins especially make use of lots of set phrases with replies in greetings, etc.

(il-)salām ʕalēkum (peace be upon you) is probabẏ the most neutral and maybe slightly formal.
The standard reply is wa-ʕalēkum il-salām.

Hala (related to ahlan: welcome) is a common informal way to say 'hi'. It can also be 'yā hala'. The reply is just 'hala' or 'hala fīk' (welcome upon you).

Guwwa (strength) is another common greeting, I hear it mostly between men. The reply is aḷḷa ygawwīk(May God strengthen you). This one is very peculiar to the Gulf, people who speak other dialects find it strange I think.

Ḥayyāk aḷḷa (God grant you life) is used when having a guest in your home or other social meeting where one has the role of 'guest'. The reply is Aḷḷa yḥayyīk with the same meaning, just in the imperfect.

Aḷḷa bil-khēr (literally: God with-good) is also used by men as a standard greeting. This forms parts of greetings for other times of the day: ṣabāḥik aḷḷa bil-khēr (good morning), massāk aḷḷa bil-khēr (good evening). These forms are more 'Gulf' than the standard ṣabāh/masā il-khēr.

Marḥaba isn't really that common in Kuwaiti Arabic for some reason. It might be used to non-Kuwaitis as a pan-Arabic word.

il-ḥamd-illa ʕal-salāma (Praise God for you safety) is used when somebody returns from a trip a bit like 'Welcome home'

Naʕīman (Blessed) is a semi-greeting/blessing said after someone has taken a shower or had a haircut, shave, etc. The reply is yinʕam aḷḷa ʕalēk (God bless you)

Goodbye also has several forms, the most common are maʕa l-salāma (with peace), fi amān illa (in God's peace), or simply yaḷḷa (this is used in a wide variety of contexts I can't think of one good word to cover it). Bye is also commonly used as a loanword.

Replace -k with for women, or -kum for the pl.