Least favorite historical period.

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Tomos
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Least favorite historical period.

Post by Tomos » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 11:38

DanH34 wrote: I do find the period of the decline of the Roman Empire/rise of Christianity immensely depressing, however. And, of course, the Holocaust brings shame upon us all.
Do you have something against Christians? I'm a Christian.
:eng: [tick]
:jpn: :cym: [B)]
:bre: :cor: [:)]
:kor: :fra: :ita: [:S]
:zho: :tha: [:(]
:ryu: [:'(]
:ain: Want to learn,no resources
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 17:50

Tomos wrote:
DanH34 wrote: I do find the period of the decline of the Roman Empire/rise of Christianity immensely depressing, however. And, of course, the Holocaust brings shame upon us all.
Do you have something against Christians? I'm a Christian.
No need to get so defensive over someone's opinion on a historical period. Especially since said opinion was posted almost two years ago.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 18:47

I hate the period from Sept. 1, 1939 - Aug. 8, 1945. What predated that up to Jan. 30, 1933 is inexcuseably sad, but only a consequence of America's failure at the stock market in 1929 and an unnecessary first World War.
But basically, every war.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 18:18

You kidding, man? World War 2 was amazing! not in the sense that its wonderful that war happened... but its beautiful from a conworlding or history-as-aesthetic-object perspective. I mean, humanity's last epic struggle... the final showdown, the moment where the hearts and minds of men were to be struggled for. WW2 was basically the final boss in Modernity's* campaign for world domination [unless someone argued that Islam is the last step, but I feel its more of a straggler, and the soviets fell on their own]. Just, MAN! check out the age's war propaganda, the seeds of the civil rights movement.

I mean sure, from an utilitarian perspective the loss of life was terrible... but hey, the world is itself, there's naught to be done but a) figure out one's duty and do it and b) understand and appreciate it. I think this may be why I conworld, come to think of it... its an exercise in conceptualizing The World, or perhaps humanity, as an aesthetic object, subject to appreciation insofar as it is beautiful and complex. Hell, that shit sounded kinda spiritual.

*our modernity: the modernity of peer-reviewed science, religious freedom, liberalism, bourgeois democracy, sexual freedom, capitalism, freedom of speech, privately-owned enterprises and so on and so forth.
Plague
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Plague » Sat 04 Jan 2014, 21:21

The industrial revolution, followed by the later renaissance. I know that these two are very important eras for humanity, but looking from an aesthetic point-of-view, I just... dislike them.
:got:
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sun 05 Jan 2014, 10:47

Hmmm... I don't think I really have a least favorite period in history. The closest I can get is probably the period surrounding the American Revolution and/or the American Civil War. Both have been taught at me ad nauseum and basically make me bored at their mere mention.
cybrxkhan wrote:Oh, yeah, and I forgot: I hate history from a Eurocentric point of view - or any "centric" or nationalistic point of view, for that matter, but especially Eurocentrism and American-centrism.
To be fair, I am pretty sure it is impossible to write about history without involving some form of "centric"-view or some slant of nationalism. Pretty much anyone with the time to write about history or study it is coming from the developed world, and as such, probably grew up learning about the history of their own country of origin. So, that is naturally their referential frame for viewing and understanding events. Even someone who takes great pains to eradicate any prejudice or pretense from their depictions of events will still be construing those events according to the schema that they have erected in their own minds to understand those events in the first place.

In other words, our own culture leaves its marks on everything we do in complex and variegated ways... many will be too subtle to really notice, but that doesn't mean that they aren't there.

(Would it be called Amerocentric?)