Little-Known Countries

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
CrazyEttin
greek
greek

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by CrazyEttin » Thu 12 Apr 2012, 18:35

rickardspaghetti wrote:
CrazyEttin wrote:
Maximillian wrote:
CrazyEttin wrote:I thought, until i was ~12 years old, that Moldova and Timbuktu were just some random made-up countries mentioned in comics or something.
I used to think the same about Timbuktu and Karaganda. In Russian, if you want to say that something is located in a distant, unknown, god-forsaken place, you say "Где? В Караганде!" ("Where? In Karaganda!"). :mrgreen:
Haha. [:D] In finnish you say "Huitsin Nevadassa" (I don't know how to translate "huitsi" and i have absolutely know idea why Nevada is used in this expression)
In Swedish we say "Långtbortistan". "Långt bort" means "far away", and "-istan" is pretty self-explanatory.
I actually knew that!
I always knew it was a good idea to read Moomin comics in swedish instead of finnish. [:D]
Omzinesý
mayan
mayan

Post by Omzinesý » Thu 12 Apr 2012, 20:53

CrazyEttin wrote:
Maximillian wrote:
CrazyEttin wrote:I thought, until i was ~12 years old, that Moldova and Timbuktu were just some random made-up countries mentioned in comics or something.
I used to think the same about Timbuktu and Karaganda. In Russian, if you want to say that something is located in a distant, unknown, god-forsaken place, you say "Где? В Караганде!" ("Where? In Karaganda!"). :mrgreen:
Haha. [:D] In finnish you say "Huitsin Nevadassa" (I don't know how to translate "huitsi" and i have absolutely know idea why Nevada is used in this expression)
Abolutely out of topic
Finnish has also a saying "Painu Helsinkiin!" 'Go to ?'
I know where the city is, but I really suppose that's so old a saying that Helsinki wasn't a very remarkable place.
Maybe it's a substitution of Hellheim > hell
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Thu 12 Apr 2012, 21:12

Omzinesý wrote:Finnish has also a saying "Painu Helsinkiin!"
It does? I've never even heard that one... But then again, there might be a logical reason why such an expression would be missing from my dialect (namely, I live in Helsinki). [:P] In any case, it's quite obviously a G-rated version of painu helvettiin, which simply means 'go to hell'.
smrk
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smrk » Mon 16 Apr 2012, 20:49

Xonen wrote:
Omzinesý wrote:Finnish has also a saying "Painu Helsinkiin!"
It does? I've never even heard that one... But then again, there might be a logical reason why such an expression would be missing from my dialect (namely, I live in Helsinki). [:P] In any case, it's quite obviously a G-rated version of painu helvettiin, which simply means 'go to hell'.
Haha. In Czech, there's a very similar expression. You can substitute Prčice, a town in central Bohemia, for "prdel" (ass) in expressions like "Do prdele" ("Go into an ass", but it's similar to "Damn it").

Also, Karaganda is a great name. Like Timbuktu, it just sounds exotic and far away. When I visited Belgrade, I remember there were two buses that I always saw whose final destination was a place called "Karaburma", which was located in "Palilula". I really wanted to go there, because the names just sounded so amazing. Eventually I was talked out of it because they're apparently just ordinary suburban neighborhoods.
death to vowels
:eng: [:D] / :ces: [:D] / :slk: [:S] / :esp: [:'(] / :deu: :mrred:
Zontas
roman
roman

Post by Zontas » Tue 17 Apr 2012, 16:44

Altho since about 5 years I have memorized every country by heart, the one most people don't know about is Tuvalu.

For most of every country I know exists, I learned about them while reading The Onion's "Our Dumb World", except Fiji, Marshall Islands, Kosovo, South Sudan and that Tuvalu example above (which are missing for some reason).
Hey there.
CrazyEttin
greek
greek

Post by CrazyEttin » Wed 18 Apr 2012, 07:28

Helios wrote:the one most people don't know about is Tuvalu.
People don't know about Tuvalu?.. [o.O]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 18 Apr 2012, 15:22

CrazyEttin wrote:
My wife merges /ð/ with /v/, and as a result she pronounces both "Tuvalu" and "too the loo" [tʰu:vəlu:] (or there abouts) which often leads to a few laughs.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Wed 18 Apr 2012, 15:51

sangi39 wrote:
My wife merges /ð/ with /v/, and as a result she pronounces both "Tuvalu" and "too the loo" [tʰu:vəlu:] (or there abouts) which often leads to a few laughs.
What dialect does she speak? Isn't it quite common that word-initial [ð] becomes [d] or something, even for those with th-fronting in other environments?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 18 Apr 2012, 17:34

xingoxa wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
What dialect does she speak? Isn't it quite common that word-initial [ð] becomes [d] or something, even for those with th-fronting in other environments?
She's from around High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire. Unfortunately neither of her parents have th-fronting and the only own of her friends from around that area that I've met doesn't seem to have th-fronting either, but her accent's a bit more RP-esque. So I can't say whether the use of [və] in place of [ðə] is a feature common to that area or just something specific to her.

She also uses [v] in words like "that", "this", "than" and [f] in "thin", "thick", "thorn", etc.
Just one time.
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 06:11

CrazyEttin wrote:
Nobody watches .tv anymore.
♀♥♀
I too have a minicity.
Zontas
roman
roman

Post by Zontas » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 16:29

sangi39 wrote:
xingoxa wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
She's from around High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire. Unfortunately neither of her parents have th-fronting and the only own of her friends from around that area that I've met doesn't seem to have th-fronting either, but her accent's a bit more RP-esque. So I can't say whether the use of [və] in place of [ðə] is a feature common to that area or just something specific to her.

She also uses [v] in words like "that", "this", "than" and [f] in "thin", "thick", "thorn", etc.
I think that's the Scouse or Estuary dialect.
Hey there.
SomeoneSomewhere
sinic
sinic

Post by SomeoneSomewhere » Thu 19 Apr 2012, 21:45

Helios wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
xingoxa wrote:
sangi39 wrote:

I think that's the Scouse or Estuary dialect.
Nah, it's not Scouse, I have that accent and we more than often replace [ð] with [d̪] and [θ] with [t̪], mostly. Where I live the majority of the people, me included, say [mat̪s] or [mæt̪s] for [maθs]. But the isn't really that stressed.

I do propose Liverpool should be a country due to the non-connections with the rest of the England. ;p
:eng: Native speaker! | :fra: Learning, slowly but surely! | :cym: Dabbling in!
dh3537
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by dh3537 » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 03:21

Gaugazia, Transnistria/Transdniester
But these have already been mentioned before...

Montenegro, Macedonia, Sao Tome & Principe
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 06:54

SomeoneSomewhere wrote: I do propose Liverpool should be a country due to the non-connections with the rest of the England. ;p
If you listen to some non-scousers, the same thought seems to exist round the rest of the country :p

But yeah, it definitely seems more an Estuary English thing, but like I said, we don't spend a lot of time down that way and I've only met one of her friends. MORE RESEARCH!
Just one time.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:38

What would count as a 'country'? Do we include various unrecognised territories and subdivisions? Or only internationally recognised sovereign states?
Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 12:16

I'd say Dominica and Micronesia(sounds more as a geographical term than a name of a country).
Zontas
roman
roman

Post by Zontas » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 16:24

Akzálī wrote:I'd say Dominica and Micronesia(sounds more as a geographical term than a name of a country).
Micronesia was on survivor so....
Hey there.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 16:32

'Micronesia' can refer either to a state, The Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), or to a larger geographical area, adjacent to Polynesia and Melanesia. This larger area includes, apart from the FSM, the independent states of Nauru, Marshall Island, a part of Kiribati, and a few other states and territories.
SomeoneSomewhere
sinic
sinic

Post by SomeoneSomewhere » Fri 20 Apr 2012, 21:24

sangi39 wrote:
SomeoneSomewhere wrote: I do propose Liverpool should be a country due to the non-connections with the rest of the England. ;p
If you listen to some non-scousers, the same thought seems to exist round the rest of the country :p
Aside from linguistically, I was more thinking the cultural and political affiliations, let alone to mention that more than half of my friends don't have English surnames, including myself. :3
:eng: Native speaker! | :fra: Learning, slowly but surely! | :cym: Dabbling in!
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam » Thu 31 May 2012, 20:58

When I was very young (about six), I used to think Timbuktu was in Scotland.
Twitter: @jsbaker750