Little-Known Countries

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
User avatar
CrazyEttin
greek
greek
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon 28 Feb 2011, 19:43

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by CrazyEttin » Mon 16 Jul 2012, 18:32

Ossicone wrote:I also had an atlas as a child but it wasn't much help as it was already outdated by the time I could read. (USSR lol.)
I had also, in addition to the newer one, an awfully old atlas that still had USSR and the African colonial stuff, French West Africa et al. [:D]
User avatar
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sat 25 Dec 2010, 21:21
Contact:

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by cybrxkhan » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 00:59

Pirka wrote:Am I weird one out for knowing all the countries in the world? [:(] I blame having an atlas as my favorite book in fifth grade.
I loved maps as a child, too. Drew my own as well. My grandparents and parents were all very happy that I was more interested in drawing convoluted city "maps" when I was 4 rather than beating up things or something.

But I didn't memorize all of the countries in the world, although I think I can place almost all of them in the general region of where they would be. Also, you're not *that* weird; my favorite book in 6th grade was a book listing all the pharaohs of ancient Egypt. Nerdy, yes.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Solarius
roman
roman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon 30 Aug 2010, 00:23

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Solarius » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 01:24

Pirka wrote:Am I weird one out for knowing all the countries in the world? [:(] I blame having an atlas as my favorite book in fifth grade.
You're not alone.
Check out Ussaria!
User avatar
Zontas
roman
roman
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun 31 Jul 2011, 00:30
Location: Menulis, Miestas, Pragaras

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Zontas » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 03:12

Solarius wrote:
Pirka wrote:Am I weird one out for knowing all the countries in the world? [:(] I blame having an atlas as my favorite book in fifth grade.
You're not alone.
Count me in that group, except I learned most countries of the world from The Onion's "Our Dumb World".
Hey there.
User avatar
dh3537
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat 13 Nov 2010, 04:15
Contact:

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by dh3537 » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 02:25

Solarius wrote:
Pirka wrote:Am I weird one out for knowing all the countries in the world? [:(] I blame having an atlas as my favorite book in fifth grade.
You're not alone.
[+1]
User avatar
Yačay256
greek
greek
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:57
Location: Sacramento, California, USA

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Yačay256 » Sun 26 May 2013, 06:28

Zontas wrote: For most of every country I know exists, I learned about them while reading The Onion's "Our Dumb World", except Fiji, Marshall Islands, Kosovo, South Sudan and that Tuvalu example above (which are missing for some reason).
(Coloration mine) Off topic, but I would like to say have Marshallese neighboors on my block; they also speak Marshallese. I, myself, got ahold of a great bilingual Marshallese-English book of folktales from my old highschool, probably donated by them.

Anyways, what about Vanuatu? I have also always thought Chad to be pretty much the least historically significant country of any significant size, so maybe the Ni-Vanuatu have compitition...
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:37

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Salmoneus » Sun 26 May 2013, 19:21

I'm sorry, Chad of all places historically insignificant? Where do you think that Kanem-Bornu was!?
User avatar
Zontas
roman
roman
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun 31 Jul 2011, 00:30
Location: Menulis, Miestas, Pragaras

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Zontas » Sun 26 May 2013, 19:44

Yačay256 wrote:
Zontas wrote: For most of every country I know exists, I learned about them while reading The Onion's "Our Dumb World", except Fiji, Marshall Islands, Kosovo, South Sudan and that Tuvalu example above (which are missing for some reason).
(Coloration mine) Off topic, but I would like to say have Marshallese neighboors on my block; they also speak Marshallese. I, myself, got ahold of a great bilingual Marshallese-English book of folktales from my old highschool, probably donated by them.

Anyways, what about Vanuatu? I have also always thought Chad to be pretty much the least historically significant country of any significant size, so maybe the Ni-Vanuatu have compitition...
Vanuatu was on a very watched Survivor, case closed.
Hey there.
User avatar
Yačay256
greek
greek
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:57
Location: Sacramento, California, USA

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Yačay256 » Sun 26 May 2013, 23:29

Zontas wrote:
Yačay256 wrote:
Zontas wrote: For most of every country I know exists, I learned about them while reading The Onion's "Our Dumb World", except Fiji, Marshall Islands, Kosovo, South Sudan and that Tuvalu example above (which are missing for some reason).
(Coloration mine) Off topic, but I would like to say have Marshallese neighboors on my block; they also speak Marshallese. I, myself, got ahold of a great bilingual Marshallese-English book of folktales from my old highschool, probably donated by them.

Anyways, what about Vanuatu? I have also always thought Chad to be pretty much the least historically significant country of any significant size, so maybe the Ni-Vanuatu have compitition...
Vanuatu was on a very watched Survivor, case closed.
Oops... I didn't know (I don't watch the tele).
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
pyrrhic
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon 08 Jul 2013, 21:22

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by pyrrhic » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 19:06

I grew up in Brazil, went to a private school and always had a string geography teaching. I find amazing that people don't know half the countries in the world. In school we had to learn all the countries, their flags, their capitals, location on world map, etc. Looking back on it I think it was an awesome teaching I got. I turned into a geography buff early on thanks to those classes, and I remember I was the only guy in my class who knew all the US and Mexican states, plus candian provinces and all the 15 republics of the Soviet Union. Since then of course the URRS has gone away and we have them as independent countries, Germany has united, and a few new countries have gained independence: Timor Leste, Eritrea, to name a few.

One that really caught me by surprise is not an independent nation, but a US protectorate, an island in Micronesia, called Yap. I met a guy in the Army who was from Yap, and I thought he was pulling my leg when he said he speaks Yapese. I actually had to look it up and found out the island is very small, with 5,000 people. He said his whole family still spoke Yapese daily, which was evident by his strong accent in English.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6158
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 21:49

When I was a kid I had to learn all the countries in the world; and had to color maps of them and their neighbors (thus learning their borders), and had to learn the names and locations of their capitol cities.
There were about 110 of them then.
We also had to learn certain cultural or social or economic or political facts about them.

Many of those countries no longer exist.
There are around 190 countries now IIANM (maybe I'm not up-to-date anymore).

So it's not only my failing memory that makes me no longer know more than about 2/3 of the world's countries (if in fact I still know that many).
At least about 42% of the countries that exist now didn't exist when I was in grade-school.
And I don't know how many of the countries that did exist then don't now.

And, anyway, my memory is in fact fading.

So I don't apologize for not knowing all the countries.
You youngsters go ahead and brag that you know them all; in twenty years you won't anymore.
User avatar
Fleur
earth
earth
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sat 22 Sep 2012, 15:47
Location: UK

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Fleur » Sat 10 Aug 2013, 12:36

dh3537 wrote:
Solarius wrote:
Pirka wrote:Am I weird one out for knowing all the countries in the world? [:(] I blame having an atlas as my favorite book in fifth grade.
You're not alone.
[+1]
[+1]

I used to sit in my living room when I was very young just starting at an atlas. And I had a poster on my wall with loads of flags and names of countries on it.
User avatar
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu 08 Aug 2013, 06:59
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Felbah » Sat 10 Aug 2013, 12:40

Solarius wrote:
Pirka wrote:Am I weird one out for knowing all the countries in the world? [:(] I blame having an atlas as my favorite book in fifth grade.
You're not alone.
There are more of us? Yay! We aren't a dying breed!
Hi. I am DoctorMisterPorfessorSomethingorother.
My fledgeling minicity...
User avatar
MrKrov
banned
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 01:47
Location: /ai/ > /a:/
Contact:

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by MrKrov » Sat 10 Aug 2013, 16:58

eldin raigmore wrote:So I don't apologize for not knowing all the countries.
You youngsters go ahead and brag that you know them all; in twenty years you won't anymore.
Well, no, if they really care about knowing them all, there's no reason they can't stay up to date or let what they already know atrophy.
User avatar
AureusFulgens
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed 24 Jul 2013, 21:01
Location: Over there

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by AureusFulgens » Sun 11 Aug 2013, 00:31

I always forget about Kosovo when doing "European countries" type quizzes on Sporcle. It is a fairly new country - 2008, I think?

Oh, and Andorra (between France and Spain). Which I will never forget again, because I recently learned that since 1864 they have no practicing lawyers.
Aureus Fulgens
Student, writer, mathematician, conlanger, sci-fi enthusiast, walker
"The pen is mightier than the sword, but both can ruin a good shirt." - Cuthbert Soup
User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1501
Joined: Tue 11 May 2010, 04:46
Location: Upp.
Contact:

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Aszev » Mon 12 Aug 2013, 16:56

eldin raigmore wrote:You youngsters go ahead and brag that you know them all; in twenty years you won't anymore.
Several current countries didn't exist back when I was a small kid. A lot more flags have also changed since then. I still know them all, because I want to know then, and I keep myself updated on world news, so when a change is happening/has happened, I tend to find out about it reasonably fast. If something interests you, it's not hard to stay on top of it.
AureusFulgens wrote:I always forget about Kosovo when doing "European countries" type quizzes on Sporcle. It is a fairly new country - 2008, I think?
Yes, although it's still only recognized by about half of the world's countries. By many it's regarded as a dangerous precedent for separatism.
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
User avatar
Xonen
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sat 15 May 2010, 23:25

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Xonen » Mon 12 Aug 2013, 20:55

Aszev wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:You youngsters go ahead and brag that you know them all; in twenty years you won't anymore.
Several current countries didn't exist back when I was a small kid. A lot more flags have also changed since then. I still know them all, because I want to know then, and I keep myself updated on world news, so when a change is happening/has happened, I tend to find out about it reasonably fast. If something interests you, it's not hard to stay on top of it.
I don't think the problem he's referring to is keeping up with new things as much as just simply forgetting the old stuff. And even if your memory seems good now, 20 years is plenty of time for a once mighty brain to deteriorate into a miserable shadow of its former self.
User avatar
Shrdlu
greek
greek
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun 22 Jan 2012, 18:33

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Shrdlu » Mon 12 Aug 2013, 21:01

My whole upbringing was centred around adults, on tv and in real life, telling me about how bad it was living in the middle of the Yugoslav Wars.
I kill threads!
User avatar
Click
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3331
Joined: Sat 21 Jan 2012, 12:17

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Click » Mon 12 Aug 2013, 22:15

Good that I was born after them, then. [:)]
Nemesis
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed 10 Oct 2012, 22:33
Location: Portugal

Re: Little-Known Countries

Post by Nemesis » Mon 26 Aug 2013, 17:01

Fleur wrote:
dh3537 wrote:
Solarius wrote:
Pirka wrote:Am I weird one out for knowing all the countries in the world? [:(] I blame having an atlas as my favorite book in fifth grade.
You're not alone.
[+1]
[+1]

I used to sit in my living room when I was very young just starting at an atlas. And I had a poster on my wall with loads of flags and names of countries on it.
Me too! I also thought I was alone! I used to go to the public library and I spent my days "reading" atlas with 9/10 years old. That way I learned all countries in the world, their flags, their capitals, their locations and so on. Nowadays I can't remember all capitals, but I still know the majority.
:por: :eng: :con: (Docian) :esp: :fra:
Post Reply