Jokes

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
User avatar
Egerius
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2399
Joined: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 20:29
Location: Not Rodentèrra
Contact:

Re: Jokes

Post by Egerius » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 21:31

Creyeditor wrote:Well we're all pronouncing it like that
Same here (seriously).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: Jokes

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 22:07

Egerius wrote:
Creyeditor wrote:Well we're all pronouncing it like that
Same here (seriously).
Well, then obviously I'm just entertained by stupid things no one else is (or I just like making fun of metal bands for some reason).
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
User avatar
druneragarsh
greek
greek
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2015, 14:56
Location: Finland

Re: Jokes

Post by druneragarsh » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 22:16

HoskhMatriarch wrote:
Egerius wrote:
Creyeditor wrote:Well we're all pronouncing it like that
Same here (seriously).
Well, then obviously I'm just entertained by stupid things no one else is (or I just like making fun of metal bands for some reason).
Eh, I found the unintended pronunciations entertaining.
(If you want more equality, perhaps making fun of the rest of the "Instant Exotic Just Add Umlaut" people, like Haägen-Dasz. [haæ.gen dasz]? [haa.gn daʃ]?)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: Jokes

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 22:38

druneragarsh wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:
Egerius wrote:
Creyeditor wrote:Well we're all pronouncing it like that
Same here (seriously).
Well, then obviously I'm just entertained by stupid things no one else is (or I just like making fun of metal bands for some reason).
Eh, I found the unintended pronunciations entertaining.
(If you want more equality, perhaps making fun of the rest of the "Instant Exotic Just Add Umlaut" people, like Haägen-Dasz. [haæ.gen dasz]? [haa.gn daʃ]?)
Well, I would interpret that as a diaeresis, so [haːʔaːɣə daʃ].

Edit: No, actually now I'm pretty sure sz is the /s/ sound in Hungarian because Budapest. But if the first is Dutch it would still be [haːʔaːɣə].
Last edited by HoskhMatriarch on Wed 11 Nov 2015, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4298
Joined: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 02:27

Re: Jokes

Post by qwed117 » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 22:41

I have a really racist joke that some of you may hate. The people at school, for the most part, laughed though. [:S]
Spoiler:
What sound does a dog make in China? (If you want to be accurate, switch Korea with China)


Sizzle-Sizzle
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
User avatar
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Jokes

Post by GrandPiano » Wed 11 Nov 2015, 05:42

HoskhMatriarch wrote:
Egerius wrote:
Creyeditor wrote:Well we're all pronouncing it like that
Same here (seriously).
Well, then obviously I'm just entertained by stupid things no one else is (or I just like making fun of metal bands for some reason).
Not exactly the same thing, but I sometimes like to read English text as if it were IPA.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 8884
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Jokes

Post by shimobaatar » Wed 11 Nov 2015, 06:38

I might be wrong, but I thought people (particularly German speakers) were saying they didn't find the metal umlaut thing all that funny because they'd already thought of pronouncing band names like those as if they were words in a language that actually uses the diacritic in question regularly, not to criticize or insult anyone who does find it funny. If you're used to speaking a language that does use that diacritic, it's easy, if not natural, to pronounce the umlauts instead of ignoring them; it's a "I've heard that joke before" kind of situation, or at least, that's how I interpreted it.

Just for kicks:

[moːˈtøːɐ̯hɛt] <Motörhead>
[ˈbluːǝ ˈøːʏstɐ kʊlt] <Blue Öyster Cult>
[ˈmœtlaɪ̯ ˈkʁyːǝ] <Mötley Crüe>
[hɛˈaːgn̩ dat͡s] <Häagen-Dazs>

You totally can't tell I'm not a native German speaker. [:P] I realized I neglected to mark aspiration, and probably some other things as well… I'd go back and edit them in if I weren't about to go to sleep.
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: Jokes

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Wed 11 Nov 2015, 07:19

shimobaatar wrote:I might be wrong, but I thought people (particularly German speakers) were saying they didn't find the metal umlaut thing all that funny because they'd already thought of pronouncing band names like those as if they were words in a language that actually uses the diacritic in question regularly, not to criticize or insult anyone who does find it funny. If you're used to speaking a language that does use that diacritic, it's easy, if not natural, to pronounce the umlauts instead of ignoring them; it's a "I've heard that joke before" kind of situation, or at least, that's how I interpreted it.

Just for kicks:

[moːˈtøːɐ̯hɛt] <Motörhead>
[ˈbluːǝ ˈøːʏstɐ kʊlt] <Blue Öyster Cult>
[ˈmœtlaɪ̯ ˈkʁyːǝ] <Mötley Crüe>
[hɛˈaːgn̩ dat͡s] <Häagen-Dazs>

You totally can't tell I'm not a native German speaker. [:P] I realized I neglected to mark aspiration, and probably some other things as well… I'd go back and edit them in if I weren't about to go to sleep.
I guess it doesn't sound silly to foreignize the pronunciation of words in English if you're not actually saying them in English. If you're pronouncing metal umlauts in German, it just sounds like gibberish in German, it doesn't sound like someone saying something ridiculously out-of-place. Kind of like the [taɹʒe] for Target (the store in America) thing people say, that wouldn't sound like an attempt to make Target sound fancy if you were actually speaking French at the time, and thus, no one would laugh/cringe the same way they do in English.

Also, I would be tempted to do Motörhead like an Alemannic dialect (I'm going to mess this up probably):

[moˈtøːrheɐ̯t] <Motörhead>

I don't think any Alemannic dialect has /eɐ̯/, but if I see a vowel and an <a> after, that's what I think of. Also, there aren't long vowels in unstressed syllables in German. There are tense vowels, but those are all loanwords like Psychologie.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
clawgrip
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2319
Joined: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 06:33
Location: Tokyo

Re: Jokes

Post by clawgrip » Wed 11 Nov 2015, 12:05

Where are the jokes?

Here is a basic joke that works in every language:

墓地にひときわ立派な墓石が建っていた。
表面にはこうある。

「偉大な政治家 清廉潔白な男 ここに眠る」

通りかかった老人がそれを見てつぶやいた。
「二人の人間を一つの棺に入れる事ができるなんて、わしゃ知らなんだ」

In a cemetery there was an exceptionally magnificent gravestone. It read:

"Here lies a great politician, a man of the utmost integrity."

An old man passing by muttered to himself,
"I had no idea they could fit two people in one casket."

I suspect this is not even a Japanese joke originally, since everyone in Japan is cremated, but I just wanted something to get this thread back on track!
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: Jokes

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Wed 11 Nov 2015, 16:37

clawgrip wrote:Where are the jokes?

Here is a basic joke that works in every language:

墓地にひときわ立派な墓石が建っていた。
表面にはこうある。

「偉大な政治家 清廉潔白な男 ここに眠る」

通りかかった老人がそれを見てつぶやいた。
「二人の人間を一つの棺に入れる事ができるなんて、わしゃ知らなんだ」

In a cemetery there was an exceptionally magnificent gravestone. It read:

"Here lies a great politician, a man of the utmost integrity."

An old man passing by muttered to himself,
"I had no idea they could fit two people in one casket."

I suspect this is not even a Japanese joke originally, since everyone in Japan is cremated, but I just wanted something to get this thread back on track!
Haha
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Jokes

Post by Dormouse559 » Thu 12 Nov 2015, 05:47

Ooh, that is a good one. [:D] Bravo, good sir!
clawgrip
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2319
Joined: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 06:33
Location: Tokyo

Re: Jokes

Post by clawgrip » Thu 12 Nov 2015, 12:12

Don't be led to believe I made this joke. I just copied it from a website. I thought this thread was especially about jokes from other languages, and I just saw a lot of non joke stuff going on, so I quickly found one to translate! The Japanese one works better because there is no lie/lies thing to imply a number.
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Jokes

Post by Dormouse559 » Thu 12 Nov 2015, 16:53

Don't be led to believe that I was led to believe that you had made this joke. There is still much bravo for a good sir who recognizes good jokes.
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Jokes

Post by Dormouse559 » Sat 21 Nov 2015, 19:12

I just saw this one on Facebook:

- What does a nosy pepper do?
- It gets jalapeño business!
User avatar
Shemtov
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 03:06

Re: Jokes

Post by Shemtov » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 21:51

Somebody needs to translate Elvis' songs into Tolkien's conlangs:
Elvish Elvis!
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat 16 May 2015, 17:48

Re: Jokes

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Sun 27 Dec 2015, 23:19

Shemtov wrote:Somebody needs to translate Elvis' songs into Tolkien's conlangs:
Elvish Elvis!
I'm surprised this hasn't been done...
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2663
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: Jokes

Post by sangi39 » Mon 28 Dec 2015, 22:26

You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
User avatar
Shemtov
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 03:06

Re: Jokes

Post by Shemtov » Wed 30 Dec 2015, 01:03

Blocked here, unfortunately.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Jokes

Post by Dormouse559 » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 17:30

- Why do French chefs only use one egg when they cook?
- Because one egg is un œuf !
Spoiler:
Get it? It's funny, right? Because un œuf is French for "one egg", but it also sounds a little like "enough". [:D]
User avatar
loglorn
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1998
Joined: Mon 17 Mar 2014, 03:22

Re: Jokes

Post by loglorn » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 23:06

Dormouse559 wrote:- Why do French chefs only use one egg when they cook?
- Because one egg is un œuf !
Spoiler:
Get it? It's funny, right? Because un œuf is French for "one egg", but it also sounds a little like "enough". [:D]
Oldie but goodie
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Post Reply