Overrated Historical people

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Re: Overrated Historical people

Post by Xing » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 08:56

thaen wrote:Is anyone on this board Christian
Yes
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Post by DrGeoffStandish » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:12

Overrated: Mother Teresa. (In fact, she was shear evil torturing tens of thousands of third-world kids.)
Underrated: Richard Nixon.
Last edited by DrGeoffStandish on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:15

Nixon was awesome.
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Post by DrGeoffStandish » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:18

Two more overrated people: Mahatma Gandhi and Dalai Lama.
Thakowsaizmu wrote:Nixon was awesome.
I hope you're not ironic. :wat:
Last edited by DrGeoffStandish on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:19

Morpheus wrote:
Nah. I think he gets a really bad rap.
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Post by DrGeoffStandish » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:29

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Nah. I think he gets a really bad rap.
Nixon was perhaps not the best US president post-WWII but certainly not the worst. (Best: Bush Sr., Kennedy and Clinton. Worst: Bush Jr., Kennedy and Carter. Yeah, Kennedy was both one of the best and one of the worst.)
Last edited by DrGeoffStandish on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:33, edited 3 times in total.
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:30

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
Nah. I think he gets a really bad rap.
Johnson too.
Check out Ussaria!
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:44

Morpheus wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:Nah. I think he gets a really bad rap.
Nixon was perhaps not the best US president post-WWII but certainly not the worst. (Best: Bush Sr., Kennedy and Clinton. Worst: Bush Jr., Kennedy and Carter. Yeah, Kennedy was both one of the best and one of the worst.)
I can't agree with you there. I can't stand Kennedy. I can't think of a single thing he personally did that was positive.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 17 Jul 2012, 18:48

One of the most underrated was (post presidency) Jimmy Carter. Getting through those four years opened more doors for him to show what he could really do in the world, unfettered by the Congress that at the time was majority his own party (Beuh. Okay, more Conservative than him, for sure).

cybrxkhan wrote:- 99% of samurai
Are you including Samurai Jack?
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 02:03

Christopher Columbus.

Visited his tomb once. Football-field sized concrete cross with absolutely nothing in it save for one tiny viewing area where you could see what might be a box that might hold a bit of what might have been him. This was in the economically struggling Dominican Republic, which probably could have used that concrete to build two public schools and a hospital. He didn't discover the Americas, the Vikings were the first to come over, there were already indigenous people, and while I acknowledge that he's an important historical figure, I don't really see the need to have "Columbus sailed the ocean blue in fourteen hundred ninety-two" and the monotone chant of "Niña, Pinta, Santa-María, Niña, Pinta, Santa-María" drilled into the brains of all American children from the day of their first history lesson. It's just... yes. He was a sailor. He made a huge mistake in navigation and landed on another continent. He went back and told people this, and proceeded to set off a chain reaction of exploration that led to thousands of Native Americans dying of European diseases and being used as slaves...

Meh. Ignore my ramblings.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
dh3537
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by dh3537 » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 02:21

kiwikami wrote:Christopher Columbus.

Visited his tomb once. Football-field sized concrete cross with absolutely nothing in it save for one tiny viewing area where you could see what might be a box that might hold a bit of what might have been him. This was in the economically struggling Dominican Republic, which probably could have used that concrete to build two public schools and a hospital. He didn't discover the Americas, the Vikings were the first to come over, there were already indigenous people, and while I acknowledge that he's an important historical figure, I don't really see the need to have "Columbus sailed the ocean blue in fourteen hundred ninety-two" and the monotone chant of "Niña, Pinta, Santa-María, Niña, Pinta, Santa-María" drilled into the brains of all American children from the day of their first history lesson. It's just... yes. He was a sailor. He made a huge mistake in navigation and landed on another continent. He went back and told people this, and proceeded to set off a chain reaction of exploration that led to thousands of Native Americans dying of European diseases and being used as slaves...

[+1]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 02:31

kiwikami wrote: Meh. Ignore my ramblings.

Better out than in!
Omzinesý
mayan
mayan

Post by Omzinesý » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 19:25

He didn't make a mistake in navigation; the earth was wrong.

The European super power ,after all, came to be because his exploration. He was the first one having somebody to exploit the discoery, and understand it was a discovery.
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 19:27

Omzinesý wrote:

He didn't make a mistake in navigation; the earth was wrong.
He thought the earth was smaller than it was.
Check out Ussaria!
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 19:33

I believe he was being facetious.
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 19:36

MrKrov wrote:I believe he was being facetious.
Columbus?
Check out Ussaria!
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 19:37

[:S] Omzinesý
Omzinesý
mayan
mayan

Post by Omzinesý » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 19:40

MrKrov wrote:[:S] Omzinesý
Vad?

Do you mean I am overrated. That true, at last of myself.
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:31

Heh. No, he means you were the one being facetious about the size of the Earth.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 27 Jul 2012, 13:59

Hey, did I ever tell you the one about being facetious about the size of the Earth?
If you're facetious and they don't like it - they flatten you.
But, if you're facetious and they do like it - word'll get around.