Flägs & vexillology!

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Aszev
admin
admin

Flägs & vexillology!

Post by Aszev » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 02:05

Share and discuss awesome flags, flag designs, and flag policies!

New Mexico simply has an awesome looking design.

Image Image Image
QuébecNew OrleansKingdom of France
I have a thing for the fleur-de-lis. Yellow/gold on white isn't really the best idea, and the French one is simply cluttered to be honest, but somehow it still has its charm!

Image Image
Flags of the Franco-Columbians and Franco-Ontarians
Love the quirky design on the former, and the simplistic yet powerful one of the latter!

I like the Scandinavian Cross design, mainly because it's simple and so strongly associated to the particular cultural sphere.

Canada, it has the sweet combination of a national symbol that is simple enough without being used by everyone (such as a star), and yet a very simple design.

Montenegro's flag ignores the simplicity rule, but looks quite awesome still.

Libya, I don't know why I like this one, but I do. I once experimented with it and changed the crescent/star for a fleur-de-lis with awesome results [:P]

For nation-states I tend to like simple designs and color schemes, probably as a result of being European and used to the flags here.

Also I like 1:2 designs for some reason.. whenever I design a flag it's always 1:2 unless the design really won't allow for it (like a Scandinavian cross design)
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
Ossicone

Re: Flags & vexillology!

Post by Ossicone » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 02:31

As for real world flags I'm found of some of the Caribbean one's.

Trinidad and Tobago - Simple, three colors but still very distinctive.

Jamaica - The same. Three colors and simple. I quite like uncommon palate of green, yellow and black.

Bahamas - Another simple three colors with the bonus of a non standard shade of blue.

-----

In the realm of conworlds, I haven't really made any flags I like much.

The only one I felt slightly happy about was this one.

The black circle represents an eclipse when the sun and moon gods are joined. The blue line indicates the ocean which divides the world.
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Re: Flägs & vexillology!

Post by cybrxkhan » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 03:01

(Greek Orthodox Church, although based on the flag of the last Byzantine dynasty, that of Palaiologos/Paleologus/Palalalololololololgous)

Because I like double headed eagles.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Ceresz
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by Ceresz » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:47

I like the proposal flag for Greenland, so I pretty much just inverted the color scheme to get the Bjarmlandic flag.

@Bianca: I like the general idea of your flag, and the vertical design is nice. There's just something about it that doesn't sit right, though... The colors are nice, and the shapes aren't too bad. I don't know why it feels a bit weird [:S]. I guess it feels too empty, somehow.
Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:01

Ceresz wrote:@Bianca: I like the general idea of your flag, and the vertical design is nice. There's just something about it that doesn't sit right, though... The colors are nice, and the shapes aren't too bad. I don't know why it feels a bit weird [:S]. I guess it feels too empty, somehow.
Agreed. I think it might need a strong background color other than white. Or possibly a different composition (maybe cut some of the length off the bottom).

Also, I like the current Greenland flag.
Ceresz
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by Ceresz » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:05

Nah, the color scheme is fine. It's just... I think that it's a combination of the circle and the line being too thin, but thickening the line and keeping the circle looks even weirder. You'll just have to mess around with it, I guess.

And yeah, I like the current flag of Greenland too.
Systemzwang
greek
greek

Post by Systemzwang » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:37

I have recently taken a bit of an interest in vexillological traditions, e.g. the traditions in many countries in Northern Europe that normal rectangular national (and other regional) flags are not to be hoisted at night-time, but there's these thin triangular strips or trapezoid (basically very thin trapezoids at that), which can be hoisted all day around. These don't seem to have an English name whatsoever, but in the languages of the areas that have them, they go by names such as vimpel/Wimpel/vimpel/..., with Finnish being the exception having "viiri" for them. Might be closest to the English concept "pennon" or "standard".

Anyone have a system of customs and things for flags, distinctions between use of different types of flags, etc?
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 13:59

Ha! Flags! Nice.

Rozwiland has a flag whose color scheme is red, green, black. It has an African feel, and the flag itself is one of those triple-triangle shaped standards.

But the real vexillum of power is what you see in my little homebox thingie.

I want to say here that the symbols were arrived at completely by chance - random doodlings in old notebooks, if you will. I do not represent, nor claim to promulgate, either the Hebrew Israelites, the Rosicrucian Order, or any one else (Knights of Jerusalem?), in my representation. It's purely coincidental.

The Vexillum is a combination of three prominent symbols in my conworld. the Topmost is three feathers (also seen as three ears of millet) which symbolize the Divine: Inspiration, Blessing, Grace, Salvation, etc. Prophets, Enjilix (divine-beings), and the Holy Creature (huvni in Rozwi) [which looks like a two-legged Simurgh] are depicted with a crown of these.

The middle symbol is the "Sticks". Two of them are the Creative wands/batons of `Elhev, known as the Youghad /yo:ɣɒd/ "Lord King" to the Dream Weavers (vid. lawful god wizards, mages), the Faithful, and the Divine Doctrinists. The sticks are known as Hye /hje/ and Beya /be.jɒ/ - "Might" and "Ability". These sticks are crossed by the sticks of the Evil One. More later.
Suffice to say the two pairs criss-cross to form a Unicursal, within which the world/cosmos/universe was is and ever will be created.

The bottom symbol was originally a frame of bamboo upon which I used to dry gourds and
millet from my garden. From that, it came to represent "Fertility", "Fecundity"; a kind of
Cornucopia image for my conworld. These frames were often carried and decorated during spring and autumn festivals, and summarily burned as a symbolic sacrifice of the harvest (expected or collected).

More later...
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 15:19

Buryatia!

Just discovered this flag. I like simple color patterns with assymmetric distribution, and it also has a symbol that is simple yet distinctive!

Image CE
Ceresz
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by Ceresz » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 15:44

I played with your design a bit, Ossicone. I hope you don't mind.

masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 15:47

Being a fan of simplicity and symmetry I have always favored the flag of Libya 1977-2011:

lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 15:49

[:x]
Last edited by lsd on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Testyal
roman
roman

Post by Testyal » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 16:02

The flag of Canada and the Georgian flag.

Red and white just work.
:deu: :fra: :zho: :epo:
Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 16:04

Ceresz wrote:I played with your design a bit, Ossicone. I hope you don't mind.

FLAG
It is nice. But it needs to be vertical and the white still bothers me.
I'll probably try tweaking it later today.
Shrdlu
greek
greek

Post by Shrdlu » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 16:19

sano wrote:Being a fan of simplicity and symmetry I have always favored the flag of Libya 1977-2011:

I concur. Simple is the best.
I kill threads!
Allekanger
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Allekanger » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 16:35

I never really understood flags in a way, but I like them anyway. My favourite is the flag of Nepal.

When I found out that a few sub-national regions in Scandinavia had their own flags, I tried, just for fun, to make one for the region I live in; Uppland. It's based on the Åland flag, but with the green colour added (inspired by the Sapmi flag) to symbolize the mainland west of the Åland islands, where the region is located. And also because I just happen to like green. It can be found here.
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 16:47

sano wrote:Being a fan of simplicity and symmetry I have always favored the flag of Libya 1977-2011:

The problem with that flag is that it's simple to the point of not being distinctive anymore.
Allekanger wrote:When I found out that a few sub-national regions in Scandinavia had their own flags, I tried, just for fun, to make one for the region I live in; Uppland. It's based on the Åland flag, but with the green colour added (inspired by the Sapmi flag) to symbolize the mainland west of the Åland islands, where the region is located. And also because I just happen to like green. It can be found here.
Uppland is one of the regions without a local flag, but I'd say use a simpler color scheme.

Image CE
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 17:57

I don't really like that nuance of green. It'd be okay with one-colouerd flag, if it was darkish blue or something.
vampireshark
water
water

Post by vampireshark » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 18:39

Real-world flag-wise, I'm rather fond of these:

State of Bavaria (lozenge variant), Germany

Wales, UK

Kazakhstan

In the realm of US state flags, I actually don't like that many of them. The big ones I do like are are Texas, Hawaii, Colorado, Indiana, and Ohio.

Simple, clean, and bold. Makes a statement.

Simple and, interestingly, the flag for my home state.

Has personality, but manages to do it well without looking too horrible.

State name appears, but it's neither gaudy nor hideous like the Wisconsin flag is.

Not rectangular.
Spoiler: show
As for conworld flags, I've made a few.
Telèmor Federal flag.
Flags of the 18 regions of the federation.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Wed 13 Jun 2012, 18:55

I like the flag that was proposed for Tokelau:

Unfortunately, they adopted another flag.