Flägs & vexillology!

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: Flägs & vexillology!

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 13:33

Simple. Striking. No bothersome, though I likes me some heraldry escudo design in the middle to get depixellated/smudged from resizings. Five Boroughs clearly represented. Nice update - Excelsior!
[:)]
Shemtov wrote:Though I will always be a Philadelphian
Fluffiyia maneto!
[:D]
One learns something new each 'n' every day!
:mrgreen:
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 04:17

Lambuzhao wrote:Simple. Striking. No bothersome, though I likes me some heraldry escudo design in the middle to get depixellated/smudged from resizings. Five Boroughs clearly represented. Nice update - Excelsior!
[:)]
Shemtov wrote:Though I will always be a Philadelphian
Fluffiyia maneto!
[:D]
One learns something new each 'n' every day!
:mrgreen:
See, I don't mind Philly's flag so much, even if it is a seal on a bed sheet, partially becaused I'm biased, but more that the seal is vibrant. Distinctive. NYC's flag is colored so badly it looks like a blue smudge on a tricolor. Also, as I live in Queens, I don't feel comfortable with a flag whose seal has clear references to Manhattan's history, and ignores the outer boroughs. (One could argue the seal needs an update, too). It doesn't reflect the modern city.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 07:32

I actually was thinking of Philly's flag, and thought the the the seal should be replaced with the Liberty Bell as the Charge. I don't have the artistic chops to draw one, but I found on google someone with the same idea:
Personally, I would make the charge half or or 3/4 the size; at current size the crack looks ugly it should be narrower, IMO:
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 18:32

In the version with the smaller bell, the bell itself looks off-center to me.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 23:52

shimobaatar wrote:
Sun 22 Jul 2018, 18:32
In the version with the smaller bell, the bell itself looks off-center to me.
Sorry, my fault. Is this better?:
-JRR Tolkien
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 03:04

Oh, sorry, you didn't have to change it. But yes, that does look more centered to me. I still think I'd prefer the version with the larger bell, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » Wed 25 Jul 2018, 06:50

shimobaatar wrote:
Mon 23 Jul 2018, 03:04
Oh, sorry, you didn't have to change it. But yes, that does look more centered to me. I still think I'd prefer the version with the larger bell, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
Different strokes and all, but I like charges to be as small as visibly possible from a waving flag.
-JRR Tolkien
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Wed 25 Jul 2018, 20:01

IMO a primary charge should be one-third to one-half as high as the flag, and also one-third to one-half as wide as the flag.
Secondary charges might be as tall as one-fifth the flag’s height and as wide as one-fifth the flag’s width.
Or maybe one-third to one-half the appropriate dimension of the primary charge to which they are associated.

There’s probably some professional’s or academic’s published opinion on this. Anyone know?