Coats of Arms & Heraldry

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Maximillian
light
light

Coats of Arms & Heraldry

Post by Maximillian » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 13:46

Since we have the Flags and Vexillology topic, I think we might as well have this.

So, first, some of my con-CoA (these are only escutcheons): Ríhannen coats of arms: What are your favourite CoA? What are your con-CoA?us/img207/3567/borderlandsn
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Re: Coats of Arms & Heraldry

Post by Ànradh » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 14:30

I've made heraldic achievements once or twice but only once of them have I actually liked enough to continue sketching.
The only recurring elements are a snake entwined with a column (usually on the shield) and a hydra entwined with a skull (usually the crest).
Though it's a little off-topic for the first reply post, is Rihann inspired by Celtic Britain at all?
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Ossicone

Post by Ossicone » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 15:25

@Maximilian: Those look nice. Do any of them have any kind of meaning or symbolism?
CMunk
metal
metal

Post by CMunk » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 16:38

Some Danish municipalities' coats of arms (byvåben), that I like:
Egedal (My home-municipality)
Fredensborg
Gribskov
Hillerød
Ikast-Brande
Syddjurs
Vesthimmerland
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
vampireshark
water
water

Post by vampireshark » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 18:38

I've been working on some coats of arms as of late. They aren't very good, but it's a start. All are hidden in spoilers to conserve space, as space is important.
Spoiler:
Federal Coat of Arms for the Telèmor Federation
Spoiler:
City and Region of Fotèssa (capital)
Spoiler:
Heçesta Region
Spoiler:
Volgar Region
Spoiler:
Otaria Region
Spoiler:
Abervon Region (only a seal; not an actual coat of arms, per se)

Spoiler:
Ilian People's Republic, National Coat of Arms

I'll probably post more on some of my favorite real-world coats of arms later. But this is so I don't forget.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
Maximillian
light
light

Post by Maximillian » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 18:52

Lodhas wrote:I've made heraldic achievements once or twice but only once of them have I actually liked enough to continue sketching.
The only recurring elements are a snake entwined with a column (usually on the shield) and a hydra entwined with a skull (usually the crest).
Do you have something to show us?
Lodhas wrote:Though it's a little off-topic for the first reply post, is Rihann inspired by Celtic Britain at all?
It is inspired by Celtic people in general, nothing specificly British.
Ossicone wrote:@Maximilian: Those look nice. Do any of them have any kind of meaning or symbolism?
Yes, of course. The Borderlands defend and warn others of enemies, hence the horn and sword; the red colour is pretty obvious - it means war, blood etc. There are many dragons living in Cemrú, so it's like the land of dragons; the same goes for all Highlands.
CMunk wrote:Some Danish municipalities' coats of arms (byvåben), that I like:
These are really nice. I like Scandinavian heraldry a lot: it is simple, yet beautiful. [:)]
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Sun 24 Jun 2012, 20:01

Maximillian wrote:Do you have something to show us?
Probably not, but I shall see if I can harass my scanner into working.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Maximillian
light
light

Post by Maximillian » Mon 25 Jun 2012, 13:45

vampireshark wrote:I've been working on some coats of arms as of late. They aren't very good, but it's a start.
If you don't mind, I've made an attempt to make your CoA of the Telèmor Federation a bit better: Full version/Escutcheon
By the way, I really like the look of the escutcheon =)
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Mon 25 Jun 2012, 15:52

In keeping with my preference for symmetry I have always liked CoA that are sleek and simple. One of my favs is from Malta:

vampireshark
water
water

Post by vampireshark » Mon 25 Jun 2012, 18:30

Maximillian wrote:If you don't mind, I've made an attempt to make your CoA of the Telèmor Federation a bit better: Full version/Escutcheon
By the way, I really like the look of the escutcheon =)
Hvala for both. And the redo doesn't look bad, though I'm not a fan of the ribbon at the bottom... And, admittedly, I do need to try to procure a vector graphics program for things like this.

I must say, though, your Great Coat of Arms of Ríhann is pretty. It'd go very well on a lot of things.

Maximillian
light
light

Post by Maximillian » Mon 25 Jun 2012, 19:03

vampireshark wrote:Hvala for both. And the redo doesn't look bad, though I'm not a fan of the ribbon at the bottom...
Yeah, the ribbon is totally out of place, I know, but it can't be removed.
vampireshark wrote:I must say, though, your Great Coat of Arms of Ríhann is pretty. It'd go very well on a lot of things.
Well, thank you. I was considering making some stuff with it, like mugs or flags.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
vampireshark
water
water

Post by vampireshark » Mon 25 Jun 2012, 19:18

Maximillian wrote:
vampireshark wrote:Hvala for both. And the redo doesn't look bad, though I'm not a fan of the ribbon at the bottom...
Yeah, the ribbon is totally out of place, I know, but it can't be removed.
Bummer... well, that's the cost of doing business with some things, like the SVG elements. Which is one of the reasons why I try largely DIY stuff rather than using those (one of the other ones being copyright issues).
Maximillian wrote:
vampireshark wrote:I must say, though, your Great Coat of Arms of Ríhann is pretty. It'd go very well on a lot of things.
Well, thank you. I was considering making some stuff with it, like mugs or flags.
Oh, there's a whole lot more that can be done... passports, ID cards, coins, medallions, badges, banknotes... though those are always good starts.

Maximillian
light
light

Post by Maximillian » Mon 25 Jun 2012, 20:47

vampireshark wrote:Oh, there's a whole lot more that can be done... passports, ID cards, coins, medallions, badges, banknotes... though those are always good starts.
Oh, you're talking about that kind of stuff... I thought about some IRL things =)
And, considering the nature of my conworld, ID cards and banknotes are not yet invented.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 03:56

The CoA of Saint Lucia is quite nice.

As a heraldic weapon, I always liked that of Småland, Sweden.

The symbolism is saddening, but strictly design wise, I do like the eagle of Nazi Germany.

I don't really have any opinion of the actual contents of the CoA of Austria-Hungary, but design wise you have to admit that it's pretty funky!

Image Image
I like the surrounding flags, as in the CoAs of the Revolutionary German Confederation and modern Colombia!

The late CoA of the Russian Empire is in itself kinda meh, but I do like the idea of putting all of the minor CoAs (of the provinces/countries that make up the empire) in a circle around it like that.
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
CrazyEttin
greek
greek

Post by CrazyEttin » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:51

Aszev wrote:Image
The symbolism is saddening, but strictly design wise, I do like the eagle of Nazi Germany.
I fail to see why the symbolism in itself is saddening, it's the imperial eagle and a nearly-globally used symbol of good luck/fertility/sun/etc. What is saddening about it is that since the nazi Germany these perfectly good symbols (Especially the swastika) are forever tarnished in the minds of nearly everyone.
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 14:05

CrazyEttin wrote:What is saddening about it is that since the nazi Germany these perfectly good symbols (Especially the swastika) are forever tarnished in the minds of nearly everyone.
Yes, and that's exactly why the symbolism is saddening, because in the modern history of the Western world, this symbol is not a mere German eagle holding a good luck symbol, it's an icon of a group of butcherers.

Image CE
CrazyEttin
greek
greek

Post by CrazyEttin » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 19:13

Aszev wrote:
CrazyEttin wrote:What is saddening about it is that since the nazi Germany these perfectly good symbols (Especially the swastika) are forever tarnished in the minds of nearly everyone.
Yes, and that's exactly why the symbolism is saddening, because in the modern history of the Western world, this symbol is not a mere German eagle holding a good luck symbol, it's an icon of a group of butcherers.
Remind me to kill Hitler before he rises to power if i ever get a time machine.
I want swastika's good reputation back (In my opinion it's one of the most beautiful symbols ever). [:(]
Ear of the Sphinx
metal
metal

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 20:11

@CrazyEttin: [+1] [:(]
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:24

Let's not forget the Quaternion Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire!

Image CE
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 15:40

CrazyEttin wrote: Remind me to kill Hitler before he rises to power if i ever get a time machine.
Oh man, bad idea. Who knows what would happen to the space-time continuum if that happened? I can only imagine it would be just as bad, if not worse.