National Anthems

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: National Anthems

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 20 Aug 2012, 19:43

I know this sounds dated and trite, but...

The best art comes out of the greatest conflict

So.....
Jules Grant
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Jules Grant » Wed 28 Nov 2012, 12:47

Batailleur wrote:My favorites are the Kazakh anthem, the Taijik anthem, the Nepalese anthem, the Russian anthem, the Bulgarian anthem, the Montenegrin anthem, and the Azerbaijani anthem. Not necessarily in that order.

The anthem of the Republic of Kalmykia is also nice.

Why do communist and post-communist states have the best anthems?
Who knows? I love Denmark's, Albania's and Australia's. I also love O Canada and versions of God Save the Queen, the one from the Sing Album 2012 for the Diamond Jubilee.
I'm a Catholic, a republican, a Liberal, a conlanger, a political lover, a writer and reader, and an anthropologist.
Fleur
earth
earth

Post by Fleur » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 17:51

I don't know many anthems.

But it would be quite good if Korea (not sure whether north or south?) changed their national anthem to Gangnam style. [xD]
ABC
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ABC » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 18:11

freddie wrote:But it would be quite good if Korea (not sure whether north or south?) changed their national anthem to Gangnam style. [xD]
No, it would be horrible. Both techno and hip-hop suck, but combining them is an idea from hell.

The current North Korean anthem is good, but my favorite is the Uruguayan anthem.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 22:37

Kiri wrote:Latvia
Very pretty.

CMunk wrote: :zaf: This one has many languages, and is quite catchy.
I've always liked it, and now I like it more.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Fri 30 Nov 2012, 07:25

ABC wrote:
freddie wrote:But it would be quite good if Korea (not sure whether north or south?) changed their national anthem to Gangnam style. [xD]
No, it would be horrible. Both techno and hip-hop suck, but combining them is an idea from hell.
Gangnam style is hip-hop?
ABC
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ABC » Sat 01 Dec 2012, 12:27

Micamo wrote:
ABC wrote:
Gangnam style is hip-hop?
It is more like Standard Late 2000s Crappy Dance Music, but the vocal sounds like rapping.
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 » Thu 12 Sep 2013, 05:32

The French, (de-Stalinized) Soviet, East German, ROI, PRC, Qing and Pahlavi Persian and South African anthems are my top seven, in no particular order, though I have political sympathies with all but the Qing and Pahlavi Persian states.
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Fri 13 Sep 2013, 15:02

Top three: Polish, British and US. And the German anthem... is the German anthem [socially/historically awkward meme] and I honestly think it's lame. It's lame and starts with the third stanza to end with the third stanza... instead of inventing a new first stanza... duh!
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
atman
greek
greek

Post by atman » Fri 13 Sep 2013, 16:37

I like many anthems, but my favorites... let's see:

:agn: Argentina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqBC3l7i7dk
:ita: Italy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDmsIMwQX8
:bra: Brazil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lc9bcN7ecQ
:pol: Poland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdYCbAjgfh4 if your anthem has to be a military march, make it a memorable military march: "Marsz marsz Dabrowski..."
:ces: Czech Republic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPTwOZWnm6E minimalistic, elegant: "Zeme ceska, domov muj" "the Czech land, my home" Need more?
:hye: Armenia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-oGr2axXbE
:kat: Georgia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxvkzbArNf4
Երկնէր երկին, երկնէր երկիր, երկնէր և ծովն ծիրանի.
Ithisa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ithisa » Sat 14 Sep 2013, 15:55

cybrxkhan wrote:...A couple others that somewhat stand out to me (that is, aren't boring military marches) would be the Japanese one...
Apparently there is a military march version of the Japanese anthem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Y2KeYf0I4
I'd say it's more of a military march that happens to harmonize in counterpoint with the Japanese anthem though :P
Fluent: :chn: :eng:
Intermediate: :jpn:
Ithisa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ithisa » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 02:36

Japanese anthem to lots of different tones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&hl=ja&v=FDRkHOW8j4w
Fluent: :chn: :eng:
Intermediate: :jpn:
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Wed 01 Jun 2016, 14:04

Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Wed 01 Jun 2016, 14:46

I also love the Japanese one (it kind of sums up the Japanese spirit, I think), but my favourite has got to be the previous Tuvan anthem, "Tooruktug Dolgay Tangdym", the one they used to have before they replaced it in 2011 with one that is less good, I feel.

I also have a perhaps rather unfortunate soft spot for the anthem of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria: the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria is continued nowadays as part of the "Caucasian Emirate", a militant jihadist organisation seeking to expel the Russian presence in the region, many of whose members have gone off to wage jihad in Syria, so this anthem might possibly give people cause for concern.
Last edited by Frislander on Wed 01 Jun 2016, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Wed 01 Jun 2016, 15:14

Frislander wrote:
any anthem which repeats the words "God is Greatest" after every few lines in Arabic (or, in this case, Chechen) might possibly give you cause for concern.
That statement sounds slightly Islamophobic.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Wed 01 Jun 2016, 16:33

Ah, I love Nepal's anthem.

Shemtov wrote:
Frislander wrote:
any anthem which repeats the words "God is Greatest" after every few lines in Arabic (or, in this case, Chechen) might possibly give you cause for concern.
It might be accidental, but I agree that the languages specified give the statement the unfortunate implication of being anti-Islam instead of just generally cautious of possible signs of zealotry.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Wed 01 Jun 2016, 20:07

Shemtov wrote:
Frislander wrote:
Oh, sorry if I have offended anyone by that, now I think about it it is a rather unnecessary thing to say. How about "The Chechen Republic of Ichkeria is continued nowadays as part of the "Caucasian Emirate", a militant jihadist organisation seeking to expel the Russian presence in the region, many of whose members have gone off to wage jihad in Syria, so this anthem might possibly give people cause for concern and to be offended."
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Wed 01 Jun 2016, 23:40

I wonder if they wrote the lyrics in Cyrillic in the video I watched just to tick them off. I hope not... Anyways, Caucasian music is cool, so I understand where your liking it comes from, and Chechen is a pretty interesting language to hear, as are all the languages of the Caucasus (and possibly any language that you don't hear regularly). But people can write "God is Greatest" in their anthems all they want without blowing people up, and people can blow people up without saying "God is Greatest" at all, so I don't see why that should be the issue.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 02 Jun 2016, 01:15

HoskhMatriarch wrote:But people can write "God is Greatest" in their anthems all they want without blowing people up, and people can blow people up without saying "God is Greatest" at all, so I don't see why that should be the issue.
[+1] A very good point.
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Thu 02 Jun 2016, 03:19

I wasn't accusing anyone; I was just pointing out that the phrasing could lead people to be offended (I've been accused of Islamophobia because of bad phrasing myself).
-JRR Tolkien