Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by ol bofosh » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:12

We're just the latest in a very long line of geo-physiological developments. That goes for Buddha, Lao-Tse, the various Baumans and metanarratives too. [:D]
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:16

ol bofosh wrote:Lao-Tse
Side note: The preferred spelling is Laozi or, if using the Wade-Giles system, Lao Tzu
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:35

Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu. Thanks (just seen the variety of Romanisation on Wiki. It's gone beyond simplicity).

http://www.taoism.net My favourite Taoist website.
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:51

ol bofosh wrote:We're just the latest in a very long line of geo-physiological developments. That goes for Buddha, Lao-Tse, the various Baumans and metanarratives too. [:D]
so much postmodernity it hurts :D
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 16:54

ol bofosh wrote:Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu.
Why would that be better than Lao Tse? Or Laotze, Lao Tu or Laosi, for that matter? [:)] Wikipedia lists all of those as variants... Though apparently, Laozi and Lao Tzu are the ones that follow generally accepted romanization schemes for Chinese, if you rate that as the most important factor in choosing which to use.
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 17:48

Xonen wrote:
ol bofosh wrote:Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu.
Why would that be better than Lao Tse? Or Laotze, Lao Tu or Laosi, for that matter? [:)] Wikipedia lists all of those as variants... Though apparently, Laozi and Lao Tzu are the ones that follow generally accepted romanization schemes for Chinese, if you rate that as the most important factor in choosing which to use.
The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 18:39

Thakowsaizmu wrote: The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
Kinda true, but names of persons and places often have more or less established westernised forms, that may or may not correspond to the "official" romanisation.
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 18:53

Xing wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote: The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
Kinda true, but names of persons and places often have more or less established westernised forms, that may or may not correspond to the "official" romanisation.
And foods, too. Well, at least in Chinese-American cuisine. Kung Pao chicken, General Tso's chicken, etc.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce