Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
User avatar
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 13:59
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by ol bofosh » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:12

We're just the latest in a very long line of geo-physiological developments. That goes for Buddha, Lao-Tse, the various Baumans and metanarratives too. [:D]
User avatar
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal
Posts: 3821
Joined: Fri 13 Aug 2010, 17:57
Contact:

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:16

ol bofosh wrote:Lao-Tse
Side note: The preferred spelling is Laozi or, if using the Wade-Giles system, Lao Tzu
User avatar
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 13:59
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by ol bofosh » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:35

Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu. Thanks (just seen the variety of Romanisation on Wiki. It's gone beyond simplicity).

http://www.taoism.net My favourite Taoist website.
User avatar
Torco
sinic
sinic
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 07:36

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Torco » Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:51

ol bofosh wrote:We're just the latest in a very long line of geo-physiological developments. That goes for Buddha, Lao-Tse, the various Baumans and metanarratives too. [:D]
so much postmodernity it hurts :D
User avatar
Xonen
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sat 15 May 2010, 23:25

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Xonen » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 16:54

ol bofosh wrote:Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu.
Why would that be better than Lao Tse? Or Laotze, Lao Tu or Laosi, for that matter? [:)] Wikipedia lists all of those as variants... Though apparently, Laozi and Lao Tzu are the ones that follow generally accepted romanization schemes for Chinese, if you rate that as the most important factor in choosing which to use.
User avatar
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal
Posts: 3821
Joined: Fri 13 Aug 2010, 17:57
Contact:

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 17:48

Xonen wrote:
ol bofosh wrote:Hmm, wonder where I got Lao-Tse from then. Well, since I write Tao, Taoism, Te, etc. I'd best stick with Lao Tsu.
Why would that be better than Lao Tse? Or Laotze, Lao Tu or Laosi, for that matter? [:)] Wikipedia lists all of those as variants... Though apparently, Laozi and Lao Tzu are the ones that follow generally accepted romanization schemes for Chinese, if you rate that as the most important factor in choosing which to use.
The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
User avatar
Xing
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5311
Joined: Sun 22 Aug 2010, 17:46

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by Xing » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 18:39

Thakowsaizmu wrote: The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
Kinda true, but names of persons and places often have more or less established westernised forms, that may or may not correspond to the "official" romanisation.
User avatar
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sat 25 Dec 2010, 21:21
Contact:

Re: Daoism, Buddhism and Simplicity [Split Thread]

Post by cybrxkhan » Tue 04 Sep 2012, 18:53

Xing wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote: The only reason I said anything is because I was confused at first. Pinyin has been the accepted style of romanization for a while now, probably for longer than most of us have been alive, so I see no reason not to use it.
Kinda true, but names of persons and places often have more or less established westernised forms, that may or may not correspond to the "official" romanisation.
And foods, too. Well, at least in Chinese-American cuisine. Kung Pao chicken, General Tso's chicken, etc.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Post Reply