Where Have All the Rats Gone?

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Tsiasuk-Pron
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Where Have All the Rats Gone?

Post by Tsiasuk-Pron » Sat 13 Oct 2012, 19:28

Itlani:

Muralyanu u ta tsisú aravonyaren u talshyari ruzay tumpi pashni diizhe ta peshovó anlatyaren. Seti zhoyan murnizhe ta munkatundjovó vey telvatovó ta harkazilisa shunyaru.

English:

I suppose that rats are more abundant than we think but that they are just very adept at avoiding people. Where I live I only see field mice and possums at night.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sun 14 Oct 2012, 14:16

We have no rats here except for when we put meat in the compost heap. We try to avoid that [;)]

I really like this thread [:)] We might put the title up as a transaltion challenge [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Sun 14 Oct 2012, 15:55

Creyeditor wrote:We have no rats here except for when we put meat in the compost heap.
You mean they actually grow out of the meat in the compost heap, or just that they materialize out of nowhere when you do that?

In either case, what kind of meat are you using? Or is it something special in the soil? And did you need to connect the compost heap to the lightning rod, or would normal AC power do?
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sun 14 Oct 2012, 16:06

No, I dont believe in "Urzeugung aus toter Materie" [:D]
We have no rats here, but they live near enough to smell what we've got on our compost heap. So only then they enter our garden [;)]

However, I would love to create a Frankenrat with your help. What do you propose Igor?
Rat meat on the compost heap connected with a lightning rod?
Edit: typo
Last edited by Creyeditor on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » Sun 14 Oct 2012, 16:41

There's one decomposing in the yard. What do I win and do I have to take a picture of the not-so-good-at-hiding-its-corpse loser before claiming my prize?
smrk
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smrk » Mon 22 Oct 2012, 07:11

As everyone who's spent any time in an alley in Chicago knows, if rats can't feed, rats can't breed, so I would suspect less garbage out in the open helps. On the other hand, there are still plenty of rats around I see them scurrying around in the summer pretty often, especially in the evening. I used to go to a bar that had a really nice beer garden in the back -- well it would have been really nice if it weren't for the rats poking their heads out of the bushes every five minutes. Gross, but we just sat directly under the light and watched our feet.
death to vowels
:eng: [:D] / :ces: [:D] / :slk: [:S] / :esp: [:'(] / :deu: :mrred:
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh » Mon 22 Oct 2012, 08:18

I keep finding them in the chicken coop. I put traps out but only the little ones get caught. The big ones seem to have caught on to it, however.
We did have rats in the cavity of our ceiling and walls, but since we got a cat all those scratching noises seem to have disapeared.

I saw loads of rats in England. I was working in a supermarket and saw one scurrying away in the yard. I also saw them eating from game bird feeders in a forest.

Isn't there something about if you're in NYC you're (statistically) never more than a metre away from a rat?
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 11 Nov 2012, 13:55

ol bofosh wrote: We did have rats in the cavity of our ceiling and walls, but since we got a cat all those scratching noises seem to have disapeared.
Bleccchhh!!! Me, too, when I first moved into my house. It was maddening sometimes. But I think the combination of the sounds of Tinkus (my cat) meowing, scritching on the wooden furniture, and her "osmic presence" (she's not smelly; just the smells we cannot but other animals can smell) basically stopped the scratching scamperers.

ol bofosh wrote:Isn't there something about if you're in NYC you're (statistically) never more than a metre away from a rat?
Jeebus Tapdancing GROSS! The Met, the Cloisters; NOTHING can bring me back now.
ol bofosh
roman
roman
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh » Sun 11 Nov 2012, 15:09

WARNING This'll make you gross out: I have a permanent nest of rats in my chicken coop. The other day I overturned the nursery box (where we keep chicks and their mums) and must've uncovered ten or more rats all huddled up into a ball. Then they scampered everywhere, down holes, out the door, up the perches.

And I was just standing calmly in the middle of it all (they were scared of me). [;)]
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Sun 11 Nov 2012, 15:40

ol bofosh wrote:WARNING This'll make you gross out
A bunch of cute little furry critters huddled up into a ball? Yeah, hand over the brain bleach, stat!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 12 Nov 2012, 02:53

BBBLLLEEEGGGWWRRGGHHBBLLAARRGGHH!

Sounds like you had a run-in with a Rat King-
http://www.greatlakespars.com/images/crypto/Ratking.jpg
Pirka
wood
wood

Post by Pirka » Mon 12 Nov 2012, 03:19

I think rats are adorable, if a bit filthy.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 12 Nov 2012, 13:18

Domestic rats, especially albino rats (that you can see their pupils) are okay. They're as dirty as guinea pigs, and I don't mind them.

It's the wild, gutter/sewer/back alley things, all greasy and matted and galumphing with snaggled whitters and grinders brandished like little razorbacks. Fetid beasts!
ABC
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ABC » Tue 13 Nov 2012, 18:17

When I was 8-9, I adored mice.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni » Wed 14 Nov 2012, 17:35

Pirka wrote:I think rats are adorable, if a bit filthy.
The Secret of NIMH
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
CatDoom
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by CatDoom » Sun 20 Oct 2013, 22:23

Where I live on the California Coast, the rats seem to like living near the beach for some reason. The breakwaters are full of em, and there's a seaside amusement park here that has its own nocturnal ecosystem of rats and feral cats and various sorts of scavenging birds.

I live up away from the beach, though, and we only seem to get the occasional mouse. Never had cockroaches, either; the real nuisances here are the ants. Well, and gophers, but that's only an issue if you're a gardener or an archaeologist.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 22 Oct 2013, 08:22

Sounds like the perfectly fertile place to graft ideas for a conworld ecosystem.
Amphibious rats, lanky (or meaty) scavenging cats, and what kinds of birds, I can only imagine!

Megalithic mound-building gophers plagued by microlithic megapolitan ants. Two communal proto-civilizations in the works. Archaeologists had better beware!

or maybe it's the rats who ride the cats
And fight the gophers who've trained the ants

Conworlds are fun
[B)]
threecat
sinic
sinic

Post by threecat » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 22:34

They've all gone b/c sanitation.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 00:57

Where do you live (roughly) that allows you to indulge in this fantasy?
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval » Fri 25 Oct 2013, 00:02

The only rats or mice I've seen were flattened by a car, and not much blood ever really showed. I've always found it hilarious to see a flattened mouse lying in the middle of the street.

However, I've seen plenty of rabbits and chipmunks, but they aren't problems (or existing, actually) where I live. The only pests around where I live are the goddamn ants.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.