The Introduction of Fire

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

The Introduction of Fire

Post by Micamo » Mon 29 Apr 2013, 07:35

In every natmythology that I know of, fire is believed to be introduced to humans by a supernatural entity of some sort. The circumstances and consequences of this introduction vary, but what seems to be constant is that some supernatural being has fire first, then humans get fire from them somehow.

Why is this? Does anyone know of any good counterexamples?
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Re: The Introduction of Fire

Post by cybrxkhan » Mon 29 Apr 2013, 08:24

The only thing I thought of as possibly different than that would be Zoroastrianism, given that they love their fire.

Seems like I'm right, according to Wikipedia:
In Zoroastrian cosmogony, water and fire are respectively the second and last primordial elements to have been created, and scripture considers fire to have its origin in the waters.
So basically fire came from water. Though that doesn't say how humans learned how to harness fire per se, so maybe that doesn't answer your question well.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm pretty sure someone else knows something I don't.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Systemzwang
greek
greek

Post by Systemzwang » Mon 29 Apr 2013, 16:22

I don't know whether Judaism even really has any doctrine on how fire was given to man. God obviously had it first, as he places the angel with the burning sword at the entrance to Eden, but there is no narrative of how it was transacted to either of Adam, Eve, Abel and Cain - who supposedly should've had it when they started doing sacrifices. I bet its there in some midrash, though, gotta keep my eyes open. IIRC Pirke de Rabbi Eliezer - which I currently am reading - doesn't deal with it.
nzk13
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by nzk13 » Thu 29 Aug 2013, 17:49

Systemzwang wrote:I don't know whether Judaism even really has any doctrine on how fire was given to man. God obviously had it first, as he places the angel with the burning sword at the entrance to Eden, but there is no narrative of how it was transacted to either of Adam, Eve, Abel and Cain - who supposedly should've had it when they started doing sacrifices. I bet its there in some midrash, though, gotta keep my eyes open. IIRC Pirke de Rabbi Eliezer - which I currently am reading - doesn't deal with it.
I do remember that the custom of lighting the Havdalah candle after Shabbath is related to the giving of fire to Man. Might look up the details.
Skribajon mean vi esas lektant, kar amiki.
Native: American English. Knows: some Hebrew/Judaeo-Aramaic, some Ido, bit of La Esperanton, a couple of Yiddish words, and bits and pieces of others.