Death in Ancient Egyptian Culture [split topic]

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Xonen

Re: Death in Ancient Egyptian Culture [split topic]

Post by Xonen » Sat 06 Jun 2015, 10:17

cntrational wrote:Making a culture that's only focused on one or two things good is very difficult, and takes a lot of experience and skill.
I'd say quite the opposite, actually. Creating a credible culture with all the kinds of nuances that actually tend to exist in those in the real world is difficult. Creating a monolithic culture focused only on one or two things is the easy way out here. Now, it probably won't look like anything that could exist in the real world, but that's a different issue.
You have neither, Ahzoh.
Hey now, that was unnecessary. Play nice, kids.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sat 06 Jun 2015, 15:32

cntrational wrote:Making a culture that's only focused on one or two things good is very difficult, and takes a lot of experience and skill.

You have neither, Ahzoh.
What you say isn't truth but an assumption, a doubt of my abilities that you have no true knowledge of, and that's a lie. "Assume" makes an ass out you and me, ya know. We already know I'm a perfectionist, and I don't finish things until they're done right.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Sat 06 Jun 2015, 21:13

*sigh* here we go again.
Ahzoh wrote:

You have neither, Ahzoh.
What you say isn't truth but an assumption, a doubt of my abilities that you have no true knowledge of, and that's a lie.
its a lie that he has doubt?

SERIOUSLY, CAN WE STOP THIS DERAILMENT BEFORE YOU END UP ARGUING FOR FOUR PAGES AGAIN?
"Assume" makes an ass out you and me, ya know.
only in some dialects.
We already know I'm a perfectionist, and I don't finish things until they're done right.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
kilenc
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kilenc » Sat 06 Jun 2015, 21:30

Ahzoh wrote:What you say isn't truth but an assumption, a doubt of my abilities that you have no true knowledge of, and that's a lie. "Assume" makes an ass out you and me, ya know. We already know I'm a perfectionist, and I don't finish things until they're done right.
i also doubt your abilities because i think it is a tough thing to make and then lead a culture (even for kings, leaders, politicians, those who are known as charmismatic amongst the charismatic, and, suffer me to say it and i apologize, you are by your own admission autistic--having aspergers, possibly? my apologies for not knowing) and even beyond this im a skeptical person in general. but i wont comment on that, really, cus im not looking to argue with you. instead, id like to make this comment:

stop caring so much about if other people doubt you.

seriously, i mean it. last time someone made a remark like this that i remember you blew up a whole thread, and i havent been here long--im sure its happened many other times. i think last time you said something about how peoples opinions of you on the internet mattered a lot or something? im not sure. either way, its evident that the opinions of your skeptics mean a lot to you.

but this is a bad attitude.

i want you to succeed ahzoh, i dont know you but i have no reason to wish your failure. and one of the best ways for you to succeed is to stop caring about what some dude on the internet said about your ability to create a culture. stop caring about what i said about your ability to create a culture.

just do it. even if the whole world thinks youre gonna fail, if you want to succeed, and you work your ass off, its worth it--even if you fail.

just fucking do it, man. create a culture and dont give yourself a heart attack arguing with a bunch of language nerds about it.

(unless, of course, one of the monoliths of your culture is being a bit too argumentative, and youre just practicing [;)])
eventually ill work out a good conlang :)
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sat 06 Jun 2015, 21:46

What I'm doing has nothing to do with what I plan to do with it. Hell, I'm aware that my culture will never be 100% adopted, but damn be well if some characteristics of it will.

No, what I am reading is that you are telling me is that I can't create a conculture... that I lack the ability to do so.
It's not hard if I answer the questions in this questionnaire: http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_ ... stionnaire

Sure, I could ignore, and I often do, the language nerds... but it's not like it's a one-off occasion... there is always the I could make them see what I see... It's too soon to make judgements of what I can do with it...
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Sat 06 Jun 2015, 22:18

Ahzoh wrote:What I'm doing has nothing to do with what I plan to do with it. Hell, I'm aware that my culture will never be 100% adopted, but damn be well if some characteristics of it will.

No, what I am reading is that you are telling me is that I can't create a conculture... that I lack the ability to do so.
we autistics, even high-functioning ones, have a set of handicaps when it comes to conculturing -- foremost being this: people and their emotions & reactions, make no sense, at least to us. often, we draw the wrong conclusions from what non-autistics tell us, because the wrong conclusion makes more sense to our views.
Sure, I could ignore, and I often do, the language nerds... but it's not like it's a one-off occasion... there is always the I could make them see what I see...
then show us what you see. don't keep going "no no that's not right" or words to that effect. build according to your vision, and we will see it.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 01:14

Ahzoh wrote:It's not hard if I answer the questions in this questionnaire: http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_ ... stionnaire
Yes Ahzoh, creating an entire society is as simple as filling in the answers to a worksheet of questions.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 01:27

Micamo wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:It's not hard if I answer the questions in this questionnaire: http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_ ... stionnaire
Yes Ahzoh, creating an entire society is as simple as filling in the answers to a worksheet of questions.
I think we all know what I meant, a conculture
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 01:33

I know exactly what you meant, and my answer is exactly the same. You can't make a conlang by filling a questionnaire either.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 03:26

Micamo wrote:I know exactly what you meant, and my answer is exactly the same. You can't make a conlang by filling a questionnaire either.
It's a template. Yes you can, depending on the questions...
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 03:37

Ahzoh wrote:
Micamo wrote:
I think we all know what I meant, a conculture
yes, we did know what you meant - which is why he's correcting you.
Ahzoh wrote:
Micamo wrote:I know exactly what you meant, and my answer is exactly the same. You can't make a conlang by filling a questionnaire either.
It's a template. Yes you can, depending on the questions...
no, that's a starting point. the finish line isn't visible from there.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 03:47

Keenir wrote:no, that's a starting point. the finish line isn't visible from there.
That's still creating a conlang (not finishing). Stop being technical.

You complain about a three page thread of... this... yet you are the ones who are continuing it!
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 04:01

Ahzoh wrote:
Keenir wrote:no, that's a starting point. the finish line isn't visible from there.
Your Honor, I call to the stand...Azoh:
We already know I'm a perfectionist, and I don't finish things until they're done right.
It's not hard if I answer the questions in this questionnaire
hm.

You complain about a three page thread of... this... yet you are the ones who are continuing it!
I'm autistic - if someone's debating something with me, I can't just walk off.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 04:05

Keenir wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
hm.
I fail to see the opposition to those statements.
Hah, you can't use that as excuse.
This is a debate? I thought it was a Try To Get Ahzoh To See Reality discussion?

This is what happens when you're ambitious.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 04:46

Ahzoh wrote:
Keenir wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
hm.
I fail to see the opposition to those statements.
Hah, you can't use that as excuse.
This is a debate? I thought it was a Try To Get Ahzoh To See Reality discussion?

This is what happens when you're ambitious.
Is this some ASD (see Everything forum) "joke"?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 13:27

Keenir wrote:...ditto a more widespread culture sacrificing one guy millions of times a day.
Wait... what are we talking about here?
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 08 Jun 2015, 16:53

Christianity, I suspect?

But that's not at all what Christians (or at least most Christian groups I am aware of) believe is happening when we take communion/break bread/participate in the Lord's Supper/whatever term you prefer. We are only remembering the one single sacrifice of Christ; it's kind of a major part of Christian theology that that was the final, complete sacrifice and no other sacrifices are or will ever be necessary. "But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God", etc. etc.
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Mon 08 Jun 2015, 22:51

alynnidalar wrote:Christianity, I suspect?

But that's not at all what Christians (or at least most Christian groups I am aware of) believe is happening when we take communion/break bread/participate in the Lord's Supper/whatever term you prefer. We are only remembering the one single sacrifice of Christ; it's kind of a major part of Christian theology that that was the final, complete sacrifice and no other sacrifices are or will ever be necessary. "But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God", etc. etc.
then we seem to have been told different meanings of the word transubstantiation.
:)
kilenc
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kilenc » Mon 08 Jun 2015, 23:32

Keenir wrote:

then we seem to have been told different meanings of the word transubstantiation.
like he said, most modern christian groups dont believe its the actual body or blood of christ, even if more conservative catholicism holds that to be true; the same way many modern christians dont believe in creationism (instead believing that god was behind the creation of the universe through scientific means)
eventually ill work out a good conlang :)
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Tue 09 Jun 2015, 03:35

kilenc wrote:
Keenir wrote:

like he said, most modern christian groups dont believe its the actual body or blood of christ, even if more conservative catholicism holds that to be true;
Please read the context.
Aztecs saw their sacrifices as needed...ditto a more widespread culture sacrificing one guy millions of times a day
neither Azoh nor anyone else said "most Aztec groups" or "most modern Aztecs" or "most modern Aztec groups"...the predominant transubstantiation view was the nearest available analogy (which nobody else offered any better analogy) to the predominant Aztec view.

regardless, given that, if I recall, one of his points was that sacrifice was a major part of the Aztec worldview, so my rebuttal was that its also that way for Christians (thus the Aztec view isn't so odd)...my point being that sacrifice weighs heavily in both groups, but that that isn't the only thing to find in either group.