Esperanto-based conlangs

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Severak
rupestrian
rupestrian

Esperanto-based conlangs

Post by Severak » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 10:43

Are there any interesting Esperanto-based conlangs? I am currently creating one and I want to know which is possible to do.

I know about these Esperanto descendants listed in Wikipedia - Esperantido, Ido etc. But these have one mistake for me - they are too serious. I want to explore something more exotic.
cntrational
roman
roman

Re: Esperanto-based conlangs

Post by cntrational » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 11:29

Check out Poliespo, a Cherokee-based polysynthetic Esperanto created by a guy later convicted for murder.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 15:52

...huh. You weren't joking.
Severak
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Severak » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 15:56

cntrational wrote:Check out Poliespo, a Cherokee-based polysynthetic Esperanto created by a guy later convicted for murder.
Yop. That one is exotic enough.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 18:10

I've toyed with a few esperanto-derived (as in, diachronically derived, rather than inspired by) conlangs, but only to the level of phonology and basic grammar, nothing substantial.
CMunk
metal
metal

Post by CMunk » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 19:01

Do you know about the prequel?

Arcaicam Esperantom (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcaicam_Esperantom)
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
WeepingElf
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by WeepingElf » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 20:58

CMunk wrote:Do you know about the prequel?

Reminds me: when Geoff Eddy wrote about diachronic conlanging (on a web page which is now sadly gone) that it got him "lots of conlanging fun of the sort you just can't get from Esperanto", I thought, "Well, you can get that from Esperanto - by using it as a protolang for diachronic conlangs". I don't know any actual conlangs of this sort, but why shouldn't it be doable? One could even imagine an alternative future where some people adopt Esperanto as their community language, and centuries later - well, you get the picture.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Snïk
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Snïk » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 21:55

Reminds me: when Geoff Eddy wrote about diachronic conlanging (on a web page which is now sadly gone) that it got him "lots of conlanging fun of the sort you just can't get from Esperanto", I thought, "Well, you can get that from Esperanto - by using it as a protolang for diachronic conlangs". I don't know any actual conlangs of this sort, but why shouldn't it be doable? One could even imagine an alternative future where some people adopt Esperanto as their community language, and centuries later - well, you get the picture.

I had that idea once and that idea is not absurd, because Esperanto does have native speakers, its just very unlikely.
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 06:01

Your best bet would probably be to research what the 'linguistic trends' are of native speakers, here. That can give you the best clues going forward.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
Severak
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Severak » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 15:01

Ælfwine wrote:Your best bet would probably be to research what the 'linguistic trends' are of native speakers, here. That can give you the best clues going forward.
Good Idea.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Wed 16 Mar 2016, 22:51

WeepingElf wrote:
CMunk wrote:Do you know about the prequel?

That's exactly why I was playing with them. In my SF conworld, the esperanto community grows, becomes geographically isolated, and in some cases is transplanted onto other planets.

I found a paternoster I made, incidentally, with fairly simple sound changes:
Padra indie, q’anasti cial,
Indó vie asti saupte bizon
U prazjid vie ve bizon
Vul vie fare bizon
Qio e cial, tsio sur ter ango.
Doude pa indie ciudauge.
Ka partoude pegi
Qio indí partó ea peg auni ango.
Ka engontukuda indí tant,
Sed liberude indí de maubó.
Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ketumak » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 20:15

Jeffrey Henning, who used to run Langmaker, came up with one called Sen:esepera (meaning "without hope", if I recall correctly from Langmaker). This is inspired by Esperanto rather than diachronically related to it and it aims for maximal simplicity.

See here:

http://www.datapacrat.com/True/LANG/MOD ... DEL5-1.HTM

There's a short article on it on the Interlingua Wikipedia.

https://ia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sen%3Aesepera

At the bottom of thatarticle there's a link to an English text, but it's broken.
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai