Concise grammar documents?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Isfendil
greek
greek

Concise grammar documents?

Post by Isfendil » Mon 02 May 2016, 01:52

Alright, after searching through the grammar collection so graciously provided by this site (and learning a few cool & interesting things- very little of which was what I was looking for), I have decided to put my foot down. Recently I realized just how much freedom I actually have when making new languages in old families (let's just say it was a lot more than I thought I did) but I still run into roadblocks because I don't have any languages to call on/ability to recognize mistakes when quickly interpreting Google Translate or online dictionaries. Yes, I am again complaining about semitic languages, sorry I do it so much. I do indeed hope to learn a few of them, but at the moment, bereft of direction, I just really find myself craving a really concise document with all of the functions that each language family uses in order to derive from that a semitic language and finally improvising upon it. I am acquainted with Alashian, but as I understand it, it's a derivative of one subfamily and thus may have features that are restrictive. Are there other semitic conlangs?

Alternatively, has anyone flipped through the grammar dump and found a book that is particularly easy to read, or another online resource that just has basic information available and on hand? I'm thinking the semitic equivalent of romance verb conjugation charts, or just a list of glossed phrases with reverse-engineerable vocabulary, etc.

(Vrkhazhian is not a semitic language but, besides the triconsonantal root system, what else about it is semitoforme?)
Keenir
runic
runic

Re: Concise grammar documents?

Post by Keenir » Mon 02 May 2016, 04:32

Isfendil wrote:Alternatively, has anyone flipped through the grammar dump and found a book that is particularly easy to read, or another online resource that just has basic information available and on hand? I'm thinking the semitic equivalent of romance verb conjugation charts, or just a list of glossed phrases with reverse-engineerable vocabulary, etc.
If you're asking what I think you're asking...the book The Unfolding Of Language walks its reader through the steps of how the Semitic languages became triconsonantal (with a pit stop looking at Cushic languages which share the a-mutation of early Semitic development)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
QuantumWraith
sinic
sinic

Post by QuantumWraith » Mon 02 May 2016, 11:39

In the previous thread, where I provided the grammar pile, I also provided the Wikipedia articles on Hebrew and Arabic. Are these not concise enough? FWIW, Wikipedia has more grammars than just those. Grammars of specific languages
"Peace...? No peace!"
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil » Mon 02 May 2016, 13:51

QuantumWraith wrote:In the previous thread, where I provided the grammar pile, I also provided the Wikipedia articles on Hebrew and Arabic. Are these not concise enough? FWIW, Wikipedia has more grammars than just those. Grammars of specific languages
I think the problem was that they didn't give enough concurrent information (although the phonology for Arabic, funnily enough, helped a bit), but then again I only looked at those two. Maybe other languages will have better organized articles.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil » Mon 02 May 2016, 19:49

QuantumWraith wrote:In the previous thread, where I provided the grammar pile, I also provided the Wikipedia articles on Hebrew and Arabic. Are these not concise enough? FWIW, Wikipedia has more grammars than just those. Grammars of specific languages
I looked at the list and got curious, so I stumbled upon Amharic, and it helped a bit. I also found Ugaritic, and some of the verb information, while space on its own, cleared up a question I had about triconsonantal verb conjugation. So thank you! That helped. Also, I encountered something quite strange- this lojban seems intriguing. Is it all it's cracked up to be? Is it also as easy to learn and as unambiguous as they say? (I know it's off topic but my problem is solved and I am the OP, sooo)