Imperative Mood - Lortho

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Post Reply
User avatar
bbbourq
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun 12 Mar 2017, 18:31
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Imperative Mood - Lortho

Post by bbbourq » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 20:42

Hello fellow conlangers/glossopoets!

I am having difficulty trying to expand the imperative mood for my language, Lortho. Currently, I have the basic idea where the vocative case is used in conjunction with the present stem, but it doesn't account for first or second person plural. I don't know if I should either expand the vocative marking or do something with the verb stem. Any ideas? I can provide some more information/documentation upon request if it will help. Thank you in advance.
https://linguifex.com/wiki/Lortho
http://conworkshop.info/view_language.php?l=LTH

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
gestaltist
roman
roman
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23

Re: Imperative Mood - Lortho

Post by gestaltist » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 20:58

You could use a periphrastic construction for those, like English (“let's”).
User avatar
Sectori
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu 07 Oct 2010, 17:12
Location: Tkaronto

Re: Imperative Mood - Lortho

Post by Sectori » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 21:13

bbbourq wrote:
Wed 15 Nov 2017, 20:42
Hello fellow conlangers/glossopoets!

I am having difficulty trying to expand the imperative mood for my language, Lortho. Currently, I have the basic idea where the vocative case is used in conjunction with the present stem, but it doesn't account for first or second person plural. I don't know if I should either expand the vocative marking or do something with the verb stem. Any ideas? I can provide some more information/documentation upon request if it will help. Thank you in advance.
would it be the end of the world to have only one number/person-unmarked form for the imperative? you'd then be relying on the vocative and on context to indicate the subject.

an alternate solution might be to mark the imperative by prefix, since it's kind of a fringe case (like the vocative) — perhaps even with the vocative prefix. then you could just use the normal verb endings.
inida elish, er-jīse pan.
sheb olnezī, on zūl kaid
nyer maudem? māzeye gejegura,
ib-zhiyorī aur mādaresh; kep panī weram.
e pel zherokareshī, onyek ne rād:
izholen tekab. yerogim nyer.

(semar pel, i.1-6)
User avatar
bbbourq
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun 12 Mar 2017, 18:31
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Imperative Mood - Lortho

Post by bbbourq » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 22:53

gestaltist wrote:You could use a periphrastic construction for those, like English (“let's”)
I have thought about that, but I wanted to keep it within the agglutinative/affix arena

Sectori wrote: would it be the end of the world to have only one number/person-unmarked form for the imperative? you'd then be relying on the vocative and on context to indicate the subject.

an alternate solution might be to mark the imperative by prefix, since it's kind of a fringe case (like the vocative) — perhaps even with the vocative prefix. then you could just use the normal verb endings.
I think this actually might work. I have pronouns, thus I can use the first person plural pronoun in the vocative case with the verb stem. Thank you both for the input!
https://linguifex.com/wiki/Lortho
http://conworkshop.info/view_language.php?l=LTH

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun 14 May 2017, 09:39
Contact:

Re: Imperative Mood - Lortho

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 00:25

bbbourq wrote:
Wed 15 Nov 2017, 22:53
gestaltist wrote:You could use a periphrastic construction for those, like English (“let's”)
I have thought about that, but I wanted to keep it within the agglutinative/affix arena
My griuskant conlang is agglutinative, and all I did was pronoun + verb+imperativesuffix; so it works for all person/number, because all one needs to do is vary the pronoun while keeping the imperative suffix.

I don't see why you can't just do this:
fa+1PLpronoun, konphar; (Hey us, let's speak); OR
nathar fa+2PLpronoun (Be quiet, all of you)
(Pick whichever word order appeals to you more)
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
User avatar
bbbourq
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun 12 Mar 2017, 18:31
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Imperative Mood - Lortho

Post by bbbourq » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 07:24

Reyzadren wrote:
Thu 16 Nov 2017, 00:25

My griuskant conlang is agglutinative, and all I did was pronoun + verb+imperativesuffix; so it works for all person/number, because all one needs to do is vary the pronoun while keeping the imperative suffix.

I don't see why you can't just do this:
fa+1PLpronoun, konphar; (Hey us, let's speak); OR
nathar fa+2PLpronoun (Be quiet, all of you)
(Pick whichever word order appeals to you more)
This is the route I decided to take and it totally simplified things. Now to just input these findings on Linguifex. Thank you for the additional information.
https://linguifex.com/wiki/Lortho
http://conworkshop.info/view_language.php?l=LTH

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Post Reply