naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Post Reply
User avatar
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017, 03:09

naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by fruityloops » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 15:06

I know it's not a requirement, but i need some help with naming languages to make sure things are consistent across the board. i don't wanna end up having people with names that are complete gibberish. thing is, it scares me alot to deal with all these derivational morphos, glides, and all that.

like take for example, rogga. it has cvccv pattern of sorts. when i first thought of the language, it was gonna be rough with an emphasis on guttural words (perhaps consonants?). again, this sounds like a load of BS and me comic won't made at all within several years.

note: wanted to tried that vuglar program that does language generator but i got scared away buying it due to its inaccuracies.
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by Dormouse559 » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 15:40

Could you elaborate on what problems you're encountering? The fact that one word doesn't fit your aesthetic doesn't tell us much.
User avatar
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017, 03:09

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by fruityloops » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 18:48

i tried going for a pattern but i ended up with words that were hard to pronounce. for example.

  • Sorve
  • Dossa
  • Loltu
  • Dyklo
  • Nizga
  • Titmu
  • Hihpa
  • Lanzy
a few were easy but some i didn't know what to do with.
User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1707
Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by gestaltist » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 20:02

I don't see anything wrong with these words. Might be you're comparing them to English too much. My native language has a lot of words English speakers struggle with...
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by Dormouse559 » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 04:29

And this is a naming language; if you don't like a word form, don't use it. Only pick words that meet your standards.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by elemtilas » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 04:49

fruityloops wrote:
Wed 12 Sep 2018, 18:48
i tried going for a pattern but i ended up with words that were hard to pronounce. for example.

  • Sorve
  • Dossa
  • Loltu
  • Dyklo
  • Nizga
  • Titmu
  • Hihpa
  • Lanzy
a few were easy but some i didn't know what to do with.
They all seem very straight-forward to me. What are the issues that you don't know what to do with?

I mean, to me, if you had listed

coxswain
gunwale
forecastle

as tricky words, I'd agree! Cos, they're not pronounced anything like how they're spelled. They're horrid even by English's standards!
Spoiler:
/kɑksən/
/ˈɡʌnəl/
/ˈfoʊkˌsəl/
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by sangi39 » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 17:09

elemtilas wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 04:49
fruityloops wrote:
Wed 12 Sep 2018, 18:48
i tried going for a pattern but i ended up with words that were hard to pronounce. for example.

  • Sorve
  • Dossa
  • Loltu
  • Dyklo
  • Nizga
  • Titmu
  • Hihpa
  • Lanzy
a few were easy but some i didn't know what to do with.
They all seem very straight-forward to me. What are the issues that you don't know what to do with?

I mean, to me, if you had listed

coxswain
gunwale
forecastle

as tricky words, I'd agree! Cos, they're not pronounced anything like how they're spelled. They're horrid even by English's standards!
Spoiler:
/kɑksən/
/ˈɡʌnəl/
/ˈfoʊkˌsəl/
Don't forget Loughborough [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by elemtilas » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 23:04

sangi39 wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 17:09
coxswain
gunwale
forecastle

Tricky words, cos they're not pronounced anything like how they're spelled. They're horrid even by English's standards!
Spoiler:
/kɑksən/
/ˈɡʌnəl/
/ˈfoʊkˌsəl/
Don't forget Loughborough [:P]
Ha! I mangled that one entirely! [o.O] Who would have guessed part of it rhymes with gruff? And the other part rhymes with macabre?
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by sangi39 » Fri 14 Sep 2018, 15:29

elemtilas wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 23:04
sangi39 wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 17:09
coxswain
gunwale
forecastle

Tricky words, cos they're not pronounced anything like how they're spelled. They're horrid even by English's standards!
Spoiler:
/kɑksən/
/ˈɡʌnəl/
/ˈfoʊkˌsəl/
Don't forget Loughborough [:P]
Ha! I mangled that one entirely! [o.O] Who would have guessed part of it rhymes with gruff? And the other part rhymes with macabre?
My ex was asked for directions to there by an Australian couple who read it as /lu:gəbəru:gə/, or something along those lines [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
User avatar
Frislander
runic
runic
Posts: 3052
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 17:47
Location: The North

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by Frislander » Fri 14 Sep 2018, 15:47

elemtilas wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 23:04
sangi39 wrote:
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 17:09
coxswain
gunwale
forecastle

Tricky words, cos they're not pronounced anything like how they're spelled. They're horrid even by English's standards!
Spoiler:
/kɑksən/
/ˈɡʌnəl/
/ˈfoʊkˌsəl/
Don't forget Loughborough [:P]
Ha! I mangled that one entirely! [o.O] Who would have guessed part of it rhymes with gruff? And the other part rhymes with macabre?
It doesn't rhyme with macabre for me, because I barely pronounce the <re> are all; [maˈkɑːb(ɹ)]
User avatar
ixals
sinic
sinic
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue 28 Jul 2015, 17:43

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by ixals » Fri 14 Sep 2018, 20:24

sangi39 wrote:
Fri 14 Sep 2018, 15:29
My ex was asked for directions to there by an Australian couple who read it as /lu:gəbəru:gə/, or something along those lines [:P]
There's nothing sounding more like an Australian town than Loogabarooga though [:P]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :fra:, :por:, :tur:

Цiски a Central Slavic conlang
Noattȯč a future German conlang [on hold]
Tungōnis Vīdīnōs Proto-Germanic goes Romance [on hold]
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: naming languages: is it that freaking hard?

Post by elemtilas » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 02:45

ixals wrote:
Fri 14 Sep 2018, 20:24
sangi39 wrote:
Fri 14 Sep 2018, 15:29
My ex was asked for directions to there by an Australian couple who read it as /lu:gəbəru:gə/, or something along those lines [:P]
There's nothing sounding more like an Australian town than Loogabarooga though [:P]
Well, I've learned there is a Loogabarooga Festival. In Loughborough, of course!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Post Reply