The CBB

Discuss constructed languages, cultures, worlds, related sciences and much more!
It is currently Sun 22 Oct 2017, 00:13

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 08:06 
cuneiform
cuneiform

Quote:
griuskant: Conworld language, agglutinative, SVO, direct trigger, head-final, alphabetic conscript
* http://www.frathwiki.com/griuskant

Some of y'all here might remember that I briefly showed my conlang named griuskant a while ago. Though the previous version was basically sufficient, the old outdated file on my computer was really just a scrappy word list. So, I decided to revise all information into a single cohesive legible document. Readers should be aware that this pdf is mainly for myself, it is not intended as a guide for others, though obviously I will appreciate anyone who reads this and finds it beneficial in any way.

Get the test prep, and you too can learn griuskant. Note: This draft is not the final version.
Ready for a challenge? Try the specimen test paper, and another one.

Known issues with this pdf file, which I will eventually fix:
* The practice tests currently re-use passages from earlier chapters. They will have a different set of questions.
* The material within the chapters themselves are unorganised and there are still some missing explanations. Also, more example sentences will be added everywhere.
* If something does not make sense or is contradictory, it's probably my inconsistency. Also, there are probably loads of linguistics factual errors.
* There will be a section about "Common mistakes made by students".
* More random cute animal pictures will be added.

Most of y'all have already seen this, but here are some pictures of griuskant in action:
Website with the griuskant conscript.
Various griuskant images and their translations.

This thread shall be about the griuskant conlang and its conworld.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 03:48 
cuneiform
cuneiform

Also, I need a confirmation about something. Can anyone actually see the griuskant conscript on the linked website?

There shouldn't be a problem as I embed the font there, so nobody should be seeing Latin abecedarian gibberish.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:10 
mayan
mayan

Yes I can see it.

Spoiler: show
I also don't think it looks that good but 1. that's my personal opinion and 2. it's not relevaant to the question.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 11:09 
korean
korean

Looks fine.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:40 
roman
roman

130 hours seems like an incredibly low amount of time, considering that the language has its own writing system, is a priori (i.e. no words can be derived from known languages) and has some grammatical quirks that are unknown for English native speakers. Even languages very close to English (like French) require around 600 classroom hours to become fluent in them. I'd most likely categorize Griuskant as a Class IV language, which would put the amount of effort needed to become fluent at about 1100 hours.

By the way, on your frathwiki page you wrote that Griuskant would have 32 alphabets - I'm quite certain you meant "an alphabet with 32 letters".

Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2017, 00:33 
cuneiform
cuneiform

Thanks Frislander, Lao Kou and Iyionaku for the notes.

Iyionaku wrote:
130 hours seems like an incredibly low amount of time, considering that the language has its own writing system, is a priori (i.e. no words can be derived from known languages) and has some grammatical quirks that are unknown for English native speakers.

As a native English speaker myself (though bilingual), I'm curious to know which are the grammatical quirks that you think make it difficult/strange for learners.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2017, 00:42 
mayan
mayan

Reyzadren wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
130 hours seems like an incredibly low amount of time, considering that the language has its own writing system, is a priori (i.e. no words can be derived from known languages) and has some grammatical quirks that are unknown for English native speakers.

As a native English speaker myself (though bilingual), I'm curious to know which are the grammatical quirks that you think make it difficult/strange for learners.

Indeed, I'm also confused: the consonants are a clone of English, and while the vowels are definitely distinct they're not that ridiculous. And I can't see anything in the grammar that screams "this will be really difficult for English speakers", with the possible exception of the "phasal tense", but even that looks like a simple perfect(ive) aspect.

(also minor terminological things but your "source" and "passive" oun suffixes are usually called "agent" and "patient" derivations.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 00:33 
cuneiform
cuneiform

Frislander wrote:
(also minor terminological things but your "source" and "passive" oun suffixes are usually called "agent" and "patient" derivations.

Ah, so that's what they are officially called, thanks. Though, I would like to keep the term passive in the pdf because the same passive suffix [+n] is used for all passive nouns, passive verbs and passive adjectives. It makes it unified and less scary to non-linguistic readers :)

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 16:34 
greek
greek

Reyzadren wrote:
Also, I need a confirmation about something. Can anyone actually see the griuskant conscript on the linked website?
There shouldn't be a problem as I embed the font there, so nobody should be seeing Latin abecedarian gibberish.

With some nomad browser I saw:
Quote:
"liounardou da vinci [1452 ; 1519] az ilz ijflagi iuz is tasp. vEZ venten un skauten un TustgZEisten iki roicxETen, Zas liounardou az haNijspEZe. rEs yidan vuZ iteliE vinci, Zas liounardo zira ki florens ik dEkfuirOk. ZEg, rEsk zEra kerneka ik elgeE rOse. Zer, rEs zira ki milan un dEga kEirgOre un espen hin kEir. tEj daig rEsE kernek ZEzi smOza, Zer liounardou dEga hauli er. vEZ sulouv un sluN, rEs ara zoirOki Ozzuik hin uv elge un slice voZ ZEd zEil. yoin rEzete EnSaula liounardou ik isti rEnezons er. enunsiEiSen az liounardouE ist aji skauten Zed oT zidan."

Is that a good romanization, is there corresponding between usual latin font and your conscript font...

lacks some anti-aliasing to the font to be perfect...

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 22:18 
mongolian
mongolian

The font is fine, except as lsd mentioned, for the anti-aliasing.

What is made of man will crumble away.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 01:08 
cuneiform
cuneiform

lsd wrote:
With some nomad browser I saw:

Is that a good romanization, is there corresponding between usual latin font and your conscript font...

Yea, that happens with some browsers, and I don't know how to code it so that it fully works :/

Also, the "font" is not an exact romanisation, but it is close enough. For example, the griuskant font shows "E", but its romanisation is [ae], to prevent confusion with griuskant font "e" that is romanised as [e], etc.

qwed117 wrote:

I am aware of that art problem, but as I am not a graphic designer, I guess we'll just have to be content with the pixel aesthetic that it has for now.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:12 
greek
greek

Reyzadren wrote:
Also, the "font" is not an exact romanisation, but it is close enough. For example, the griuskant font shows "E", but its romanisation is [ae], to prevent confusion with griuskant font "e" that is romanised as [e], etc.

In a way can we talk about rewrite like we talk about relex...
(the advantage is: even without the good font, it keeps a good romanization of the language...)

Reyzadren wrote:
qwed117 wrote:

I am aware of that art problem, but as I am not a graphic designer, I guess we'll just have to be content with the pixel aesthetic that it has for now.

After all this makes possible not to forget the vanity of the (false) perfection of the digital in relation to the true analogical life of the handwriting ...