griuskant conlang thread

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

griuskant conlang thread

Post by Reyzadren » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 08:06

griuskant: Conworld language, agglutinative, SVO, direct trigger, head-final, alphabetic conscript
* http://www.frathwiki.com/griuskant
This thread shall be about the griuskant conlang and its conworld.

Get the test prep, and you too can learn griuskant. Also, it is available on Lulu here.
Ready for a challenge? Try the specimen test paper, and another one.

Note: Readers should be aware that this draft document pdf is mainly for myself, it is not intended as a guide for others, though obviously I will appreciate anyone who reads this and finds it beneficial in any way.

Most of y'all have already seen this, but here are some pictures of griuskant in action:
Website with the griuskant conscript.
Various griuskant images and their translations.
Last edited by Reyzadren on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 09:05, edited 11 times in total.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: griuskant conlang test prep draft

Post by Reyzadren » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 03:48

Also, I need a confirmation about something. Can anyone actually see the griuskant conscript on the linked website?

There shouldn't be a problem as I embed the font there, so nobody should be seeing Latin abecedarian gibberish.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:10

Yes I can see it.
Spoiler:
I also don't think it looks that good but 1. that's my personal opinion and 2. it's not relevaant to the question.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 11:09

Looks fine.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Iyionaku
roman
roman

Post by Iyionaku » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:40

130 hours seems like an incredibly low amount of time, considering that the language has its own writing system, is a priori (i.e. no words can be derived from known languages) and has some grammatical quirks that are unknown for English native speakers. Even languages very close to English (like French) require around 600 classroom hours to become fluent in them. I'd most likely categorize Griuskant as a Class IV language, which would put the amount of effort needed to become fluent at about 1100 hours.

By the way, on your frathwiki page you wrote that Griuskant would have 32 alphabets - I'm quite certain you meant "an alphabet with 32 letters".
Heaven and Earth, but I feel the color of the cake when you keep the Victoria.
I had a mantra on the moss and I had to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Tue 10 Oct 2017, 00:33

Thanks Frislander, Lao Kou and Iyionaku for the notes.
Iyionaku wrote:130 hours seems like an incredibly low amount of time, considering that the language has its own writing system, is a priori (i.e. no words can be derived from known languages) and has some grammatical quirks that are unknown for English native speakers.
As a native English speaker myself (though bilingual), I'm curious to know which are the grammatical quirks that you think make it difficult/strange for learners.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Tue 10 Oct 2017, 00:42

Reyzadren wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:130 hours seems like an incredibly low amount of time, considering that the language has its own writing system, is a priori (i.e. no words can be derived from known languages) and has some grammatical quirks that are unknown for English native speakers.
As a native English speaker myself (though bilingual), I'm curious to know which are the grammatical quirks that you think make it difficult/strange for learners.
Indeed, I'm also confused: the consonants are a clone of English, and while the vowels are definitely distinct they're not that ridiculous. And I can't see anything in the grammar that screams "this will be really difficult for English speakers", with the possible exception of the "phasal tense", but even that looks like a simple perfect(ive) aspect.

(also minor terminological things but your "source" and "passive" oun suffixes are usually called "agent" and "patient" derivations.
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 00:33

Frislander wrote:(also minor terminological things but your "source" and "passive" oun suffixes are usually called "agent" and "patient" derivations.
Ah, so that's what they are officially called, thanks. Though, I would like to keep the term passive in the pdf because the same passive suffix [+n] is used for all passive nouns, passive verbs and passive adjectives. It makes it unified and less scary to non-linguistic readers :)
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 16:34

Reyzadren wrote:Also, I need a confirmation about something. Can anyone actually see the griuskant conscript on the linked website?
There shouldn't be a problem as I embed the font there, so nobody should be seeing Latin abecedarian gibberish.
With some nomad browser I saw:
"liounardou da vinci [1452 ; 1519] az ilz ijflagi iuz is tasp. vEZ venten un skauten un TustgZEisten iki roicxETen, Zas liounardou az haNijspEZe. rEs yidan vuZ iteliE vinci, Zas liounardo zira ki florens ik dEkfuirOk. ZEg, rEsk zEra kerneka ik elgeE rOse. Zer, rEs zira ki milan un dEga kEirgOre un espen hin kEir. tEj daig rEsE kernek ZEzi smOza, Zer liounardou dEga hauli er. vEZ sulouv un sluN, rEs ara zoirOki Ozzuik hin uv elge un slice voZ ZEd zEil. yoin rEzete EnSaula liounardou ik isti rEnezons er. enunsiEiSen az liounardouE ist aji skauten Zed oT zidan."
Is that a good romanization, is there corresponding between usual latin font and your conscript font...

lacks some anti-aliasing to the font to be perfect...
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 22:18

The font is fine, except as lsd mentioned, for the anti-aliasing.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Sat 14 Oct 2017, 01:08

lsd wrote:With some nomad browser I saw:

Is that a good romanization, is there corresponding between usual latin font and your conscript font...
Yea, that happens with some browsers, and I don't know how to code it so that it fully works :/

Also, the "font" is not an exact romanisation, but it is close enough. For example, the griuskant font shows "E", but its romanisation is [ae], to prevent confusion with griuskant font "e" that is romanised as [e], etc.
qwed117 wrote:The font is fine, except as lsd mentioned, for the anti-aliasing.
I am aware of that art problem, but as I am not a graphic designer, I guess we'll just have to be content with the pixel aesthetic that it has for now.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:12

Reyzadren wrote:Also, the "font" is not an exact romanisation, but it is close enough. For example, the griuskant font shows "E", but its romanisation is [ae], to prevent confusion with griuskant font "e" that is romanised as [e], etc.
In a way can we talk about rewrite like we talk about relex...
(the advantage is: even without the good font, it keeps a good romanization of the language...)
Reyzadren wrote:
qwed117 wrote:The font is fine, except as lsd mentioned, for the anti-aliasing.
I am aware of that art problem, but as I am not a graphic designer, I guess we'll just have to be content with the pixel aesthetic that it has for now.
After all this makes possible not to forget the vanity of the (false) perfection of the digital in relation to the true analogical life of the handwriting ...
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 01:25

It's not Halloween yet, but it can feel like it. Here's a Halloween greeting card in griuskant:

English translation here.

-----
But wait, greetings do not exist in griuskant, so how did this phrase appear?

Well, griuskant isn't the only language in my conworld. Though the native griuskanters have no need for the concept of greetings, including other nations/cultures who adopted its same principal usage, there are some cultures out there who insist on having greetings in their conversations. They revitalised the archaic interjection suffix, which enabled them to derive "new" words into griuskant, such as hello and good morning. In this particular case, it is a greeting for those who celebrate the ghost festival within their own region.

yoizoz.
/'jɔizɔz/
ghost-ITJ
Happy Halloween!
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: griuskant conlang thread

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 00:32

What do these conlangs have in common?
Dothraki, Ido, Ithkuil, Lojban, Siwa, Sandic, Fursic, Azaiyan, Riquenian, Mila, Latha.

I shall announce that griuskant now joins the ranks of conlangs with a published book :D

Link is available on the first post, and is edited accordingly.
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 01:44

Here's a Black Friday gift card from a Starbucks-like company written in griuskant:

English translation here.

-----
But wait, money does not exist generally in the conworld that has griuskant, so what's the point of a gift card and the word discount? Similar to the Halloween situation as discussed previously, although the native griuskanters themselves don't subscribe to the concept of money in their economical system, surely some other cultures would have such notion. Those countries, upon using griuskant as one of their main languages, would need these newly derived words such as "discount" for trades, within themselves and foreign nations.

starbaks 20/r yisusp.
/'starbaks 'thɯkkər kes 'ruʃ 'jisusp/
Starbucks 2.10 divide 100 cost.reduction
Starbucks 20% discount.
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 30 Nov 2017, 02:02

Here are the first 2 chapters of a griuskant novel: vegler un roeter thiafbuanten. It is the translation of the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, written entirely in griuskant.

Patch log:
+ Characters are renamed with more griuskant-sounding names: Henry Jekyll = vegler /'vəglər/, Edward Hyde = roeter /'rɯtər/, Utterson = epaes /'əpes/
+ Cultural appropriation: Wine is replaced with grape juice. Gin is now herbal tea. (conworld analogues, obviously)
+ Instead of London, the story takes place in juyed city, which is in a region that has European/gothic-like steampunk-ish architecture somewhere in the conworld.