A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 20 Nov 2016, 22:32

clawgrip wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
AndivahXevos wrote:Here is what I have done, Ahzoh. I hope that it's to your liking!
Spoiler:
Changes can be made if necessary.
My goodness this looks awesome!
But I wonder if you could also make cursive forms for my Uvularized Faš and Vav for I now alsop have /ɸʶ βʶ/<ḟ ṿ>
Also wondering if you could do my languages diacritics too, I should send an image of them soon.
Is this still valid?
They're definitely valid (or rather, I should say I don't quite understand what you mean by valid) but I don't use the script anymore since since then I've added more letters and removed some letters and Andivah has not been here in some time so I can't get an update on these letters. I certainly loved the shapes of some of these letters, especially Jim, Nesh, and Zab.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine » Mon 21 Nov 2016, 00:29

You know those days when you just try something different? My writing system has changed completely. It didn't feel like the characters connected enough, so why not physically connect them? I also made it top bottom. I'll soon post some more things, because things have changed quite a bit over the past couple of days.
Spoiler:
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Mon 21 Nov 2016, 00:31

Ahzoh wrote:
clawgrip wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
AndivahXevos wrote:Here is what I have done, Ahzoh. I hope that it's to your liking!
Spoiler:
Changes can be made if necessary.
My goodness this looks awesome!
But I wonder if you could also make cursive forms for my Uvularized Faš and Vav for I now alsop have /ɸʶ βʶ/<ḟ ṿ>
Also wondering if you could do my languages diacritics too, I should send an image of them soon.
Is this still valid?
They're definitely valid (or rather, I should say I don't quite understand what you mean by valid) but I don't use the script anymore since since then I've added more letters and removed some letters and Andivah has not been here in some time so I can't get an update on these letters. I certainly loved the shapes of some of these letters, especially Jim, Nesh, and Zab.
Well, I meant, do you still like those, and if you were to make a handwritten style, would you want these letterforms to be used (since some of them vary significantly from your main script. But you seem to have answered my question anyway!
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 21 Nov 2016, 01:27

Well yea, they're all perfect as a matter of fact, except the glyph for /t/ which is way too small, but that was remedied later on. You plan on making a version of them?
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 21 Nov 2016, 18:35

Taurenzine wrote:You know those days when you just try something different? My writing system has changed completely. It didn't feel like the characters connected enough, so why not physically connect them? I also made it top bottom. I'll soon post some more things, because things have changed quite a bit over the past couple of days.
Spoiler:
It looks great! I like the new direction you're taking things in... ... ... was the new writing direction taken from my one I showed you?
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 15:17

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:You know those days when you just try something different? My writing system has changed completely. It didn't feel like the characters connected enough, so why not physically connect them? I also made it top bottom. I'll soon post some more things, because things have changed quite a bit over the past couple of days.
Spoiler:
It looks great! I like the new direction you're taking things in... ... ... was the new writing direction taken from my one I showed you?
No, I was just experimenting. seeing how it would look and/or how it would work. I think it still needs some work, but I like this a lot more than my previous versions, so I'll probably stick to it. Thanks for supporting my writing system all the time, I appreciate it [:D]
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 20:13

This is the more evolved version of my writing system. In Mongolian there are different symbols for if the sound starts at a word, is in the middle, or ends one. for Mine, there's only two for each, and they're extremely similar. I could switch it up to make them different from each other, just to make it more unique. I have a question on your opinion for the characters for /t/, /w/, /j/, /θ/, and /ɛ/. do they look ok? I feel like they don't quite fin... what's your opinion?

I've also got an image for my Phonotactics and text examples.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 22:00

Taurenzine wrote:This is the more evolved version of my writing system. In Mongolian there are different symbols for if the sound starts at a word, is in the middle, or ends one. for Mine, there's only two for each, and they're extremely similar. I could switch it up to make them different from each other, just to make it more unique. I have a question on your opinion for the characters for /t/, /w/, /j/, /θ/, and /ɛ/. do they look ok? I feel like they don't quite fin... what's your opinion?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Now that is an attractive conscript. Exceptional work!

Did nobody notice my exceptional pun-manship in my previous post?
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 23:07

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:This is the more evolved version of my writing system. In Mongolian there are different symbols for if the sound starts at a word, is in the middle, or ends one. for Mine, there's only two for each, and they're extremely similar. I could switch it up to make them different from each other, just to make it more unique. I have a question on your opinion for the characters for /t/, /w/, /j/, /θ/, and /ɛ/. do they look ok? I feel like they don't quite fin... what's your opinion?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Now that is an attractive conscript. Exceptional work!

Did nobody notice my exceptional pun-manship in my previous post?

Thanks, I tried my best to get there.
LinguoFranco
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguoFranco » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 23:31

I'm trying to figure out what kind of writing system I should go for. The current project is agglutinative and has a (C)CV(C) syllable structure.

Should I go with an alphabet, syllabary, abjad, or an abugida?
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 23:55

LinguoFranco wrote:I'm trying to figure out what kind of writing system I should go for. The current project is agglutinative and has a (C)CV(C) syllable structure.

Syllabaries wouldn't be good for a language that isn't mostly CV or CV(C). Abugidas and abjads are fun.
LinguoFranco
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguoFranco » Thu 24 Nov 2016, 00:01

Ahzoh wrote:
LinguoFranco wrote:I'm trying to figure out what kind of writing system I should go for. The current project is agglutinative and has a (C)CV(C) syllable structure.

Syllabaries wouldn't be good for a language that isn't mostly CV or CV(C). Abugidas and abjads are fun.
I've avoided abjads because I borrowed features from the Semitic languages and I don't want it be too similar to a RL language. I also don't know how vowels work in an abjad, so I chose to do an abugida.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Thu 24 Nov 2016, 00:19

LinguoFranco wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

I've avoided abjads because I borrowed features from the Semitic languages and I don't want it be too similar to a RL language. I also don't know how vowels work in an abjad, so I chose to do an abugida.
Vowels are simply unwritten in abjads, nothing to it. Usually you can tell what vowels a word has by context.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine » Fri 25 Nov 2016, 21:43

Everything about my writing system, on one image this time.
Spoiler:
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon » Sat 26 Nov 2016, 11:11

I've been working on the script idea I posted in here a while back. I'm still missing five glyphs (and punctuation (and most of the actual language)), but it's coming along nicely!
Spoiler:
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine » Sun 27 Nov 2016, 18:14

Ebon wrote:I've been working on the script idea I posted in here a while back. I'm still missing five glyphs (and punctuation (and most of the actual language)), but it's coming along nicely!
Spoiler:
I like where you're going with this, however I would like to see some example text... I don't really know what to expect yet. if you want, just go ahead and place some random characters together. it doesn't have to mean anything, but i'd like to see what it would look like to get a better Idea of what it would look like.
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Sun 27 Nov 2016, 20:03

Ahzoh wrote:
LinguoFranco wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

Vowels are simply unwritten in abjads, nothing to it. Usually you can tell what vowels a word has by context.
Most of the time they're not no, but in the cases we do have (Arabic, Hebrew) there are markers used for teaching and things like that, it's just that they're not used all that often.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon » Sun 27 Nov 2016, 20:57

Taurenzine wrote:
Ebon wrote:I've been working on the script idea I posted in here a while back. I'm still missing five glyphs (and punctuation (and most of the actual language)), but it's coming along nicely!
Spoiler:
I like where you're going with this, however I would like to see some example text... I don't really know what to expect yet. if you want, just go ahead and place some random characters together. it doesn't have to mean anything, but i'd like to see what it would look like to get a better Idea of what it would look like.
Here you go:
Spoiler:
halys tɕigat hajenax se kipsare vytɕan me
psele dirmeagis tsantɕea benas vylis jani
nyrmeagane bzarten tel benyka xismajy ka
ilisma li yrigdan tsargeax mes palehidi

Since the language itself is largely nonexistant right now, this may not be 100% accurate (I'm not sure how much stuff I want to put into affixes so words may be on average shorter or longer than here, and my phonotactics might change a little) but this is what I have in mind.
Last edited by Ebon on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Mon 28 Nov 2016, 00:23

Frislander wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
LinguoFranco wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

Most of the time they're not no, but in the cases we do have (Arabic, Hebrew) there are markers used for teaching and things like that, it's just that they're not used all that often.
In Arabic I think vowels are always shown on initial glottals stops.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Mon 28 Nov 2016, 00:35

The majority of historical abjads just completely ignored vowels, though. So if you're developing an abjad, you might also want to consider the time period and especially the overall literacy of the population (mostly illiterate population with literate scribes I imagine will make vowel pointing largely unnecessary).