Re: The Languages of Yantas

Post by sangi39 » Mon 06 Nov 2017, 15:30

And for vowels:

/i y ɨ ʉ ɯ u/ <i ü į ų ï u>
/ɪ ʏ ɪ̈ ʊ̈ ɯ̽ ʊ/ <i̥ ü̥ į̊ ų̊ ï̥ u̥>
/e ø ɘ ɵ ɤ o/ <e ö ę ǫ ë o>
/ɛ œ ɜ ɞ ʌ ɔ/ <e̥ ö̥ ę̊ ǫ̊ ë̥ o̥>
/a ɶ ɑ ɒ/ <ä ɔ̈ a ɔ>

As with consonants, the diacritics used do follow a pattern. The umlaut switches a vowel front front the back and vice versa while the ogonek makes it central, the over- and under-rings lower the vowel. In cases where near-open and open vowels contrast, the open vowel is represented with the lowering diacritic. The purely mid vowels are indicated by means of an underbar (or an overbar in the case of central vowels), e.g. /ə/ as <ę̄>

Again, as with consonants, there is a degree of “wiggle room”, allowing, for example, /ə/ can be written simply as <ë> rather than <ę̄> if it doesn't contrast with /ɤ/.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 06 Nov 2017, 16:16

One of the reasons I'm doing this is so that I can start naming things on maps in a way that a) looks more like a romanisation than IPA while, b) actually represents something close to phonetically accurate, c) shows

In a lot of names I have so far, I've found them quite... clunky. I've got things like Syavan and Lyakar when I'd prefer something like śavän and ĺakar, which just looks a bit nicer to my eyes.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 06 Nov 2017, 16:19

sangi39 wrote:And for vowels:

/i y ɨ ʉ ɯ u/ <i ü į ų ï u>
/ɪ ʏ ɪ̈ ʊ̈ ɯ̽ ʊ/ <i̥ ü̥ į̊ ų̊ ï̥ u̥>
/e ø ɘ ɵ ɤ o/ <e ö ę ǫ ë o>
/ɛ œ ɜ ɞ ʌ ɔ/ <e̥ ö̥ ę̊ ǫ̊ ë̥ o̥>
/a ɶ ɑ ɒ/ <ä ɔ̈ a ɔ>

As with consonants, the diacritics used do follow a pattern. The umlaut switches a vowel front front the back and vice versa while the ogonek makes it central, the over- and under-rings lower the vowel. In cases where near-open and open vowels contrast, the open vowel is represented with the lowering diacritic. The purely mid vowels are indicated by means of an underbar (or an overbar in the case of central vowels), e.g. /ə/ as <ę̄>

Again, as with consonants, there is a degree of “wiggle room”, allowing, for example, /ə/ can be written simply as <ë> rather than <ę̄> if it doesn't contrast with /ɤ/.
The rings are most often written simply as dots, with some texts leaving out the dot of the plain <i> (and its other close vowel derivative).
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 02:04

So, I posted the Classical Kusan alphabet about three and a half year ago now, but I want to design other, related scripts as well, so I thought I'd try to give it an ancestral form, and this is what I've come up with so far:

Admittedly, it became a bit more like Futhark than I'd initially expected, but I think it's something I can work with.
Just one time.
Davush
sinic
sinic

Post by Davush » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 10:59

I'm enjoying reading how this is developing. Having one romanisation for the whole world is interesting (and convenient). I was thinking of something similar, but I like how different romanisations can give very different 'feels' too much. I also really like the alphabet - conscripting is something I've never managed to get round to.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 16:45

Davush wrote:I'm enjoying reading how this is developing. Having one romanisation for the whole world is interesting (and convenient). I was thinking of something similar, but I like how different romanisations can give very different 'feels' too much. I also really like the alphabet - conscripting is something I've never managed to get round to.
I'm kind of going half and half on the "global orthography" and it might be better to call it something like "the official romanisation of foreign place names employed by the Kusan". Like you, different romanisations give different conlangs different feels, and sometimes I aim for something more etymological than phonetic, which is why the romanisation for Proto-Sirdic uses <ś> and <'>for /ɬ/ and /h/ respectively, and Proto-Skawlas uses both <i u a ë> and <ị ụ ạ ẹ> to represent /i u a ə/ (the former being "original", except for /ə/ which is the result of vowel reduction in certain unstressed syllables, while the latter are syllabic variants of /j w ʔ h/). The only "non-standard" thing about Lesi Kirra is its use of <x> for /ʃ/ (similarly, <> is employed for Proto-Gadar /ŋ/).

I tend to use certain things consistently, though. <j> is almost always /j/, umlauts rather than different vowel letters like <y> (which I tend to leave for representing voiced coronal fricatives). Just keeps everything straight in my head I guess [:P]
Just one time.
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 00:29

Conlangs with Futhark/rune-like conscripts <3

Yes pls.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 19:38

Reyzadren wrote:Conlangs with Futhark/rune-like conscripts <3

Yes pls.
Works for me [:D] I'm trying to work on another script to go with it, but just struggling to pin down the basics before I can actually move forward with it. Getting there [:P]
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 21:33

Just a preliminary outline of the second script:

Each letter derives from the runic original.

What I need to do, which is something I did with the Kusan alphabet is add in some extra stroke differentiation on top of the basic stroke rules (in Kusan, for example, the leftmost vertical stroke bulges outwards unless there's a connector at the top, likewise the rightmost vertical stroke bulges outwards unless there's a connector at the bottom and central strokes are straight. "d" is an exception but I've actually forgotten why [:P] )

EDIT: A bit like this:

Left ascenders now slant towards the right smoothly while simple right ascenders require a slight back stroke (there are then two different "topped" ascenders). Left descenders slant more sharply to the right, while right descenders slant smoothly towards the left. Unconnected right most non-ascending verticals, including "x", also slant slightly to the right.

I also went and created a "rounded" version of the same script.

And just a quick example for some comparison, the word "sirden" in all three four scripts:

Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 17:20

I'm going to redo the Proto-Lorgyak phonology. The one I had before just didn't sit well with me.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 00:11

Redoing Proto-Lorgyak's phonology because I utterly hated the last one. The basic principles are the same, but I think this one feels better. Still resulting in the Lorgyak languages, spoken in the light blue region in 1AD:

Consonants

/tʰ kʰ qχ/
/p t k q qʷ ʔ/
/ɓ ɗ g/
/m n ŋ/
/f s χʷ h/
/ɣ/
/l̥/
/w l/

Vowels

/i i: ɯ ɯ: u u:/
/e e: ɤ ɤ: o o:/
/ɛ: ɜ/
/a a:/

Syllable Structure

The syllable structure is to (s)(C)(l/w)V(:/C), although anything more complex than CV is reserved for the stressed syllable of a root

/l/ and /w/ cannot occupy the first C slot.
The second C can be any of /p t k q qʷ ʔ ɓ d~ɗ g m n ŋ~ɴ s h ɦ l̥ l/
/l/ cannot follow /l̥/
/w/ can follow labialised consonants

Stress

Stress falls on the final syllable of a root, with roots often being monosyllabic and bisyllabic.

Allophony

Several consonants have a number of different allophones:

/s/, preceding a voiced sound, is realised as [z]
/ŋ/ is realised as [ɴ] when word-final
/ɗ/ is realised as [d] syllable-finally
/l/ is realised as [r] when post-vocalic. However, when /l/ appears twice in the same syllable or in adjacent syllables, the first is realised as [r] and the second as [l], e.g. /sklal/ > [skral] or /lala/ > [rala].
/kʰ/ is realised as [kx] when followed by /w/ and /l/
/ɣ/ has a number of different realisations. It appears as [ʝ] before front vowels, [v] before back rounded vowels [ɣ] before other vowels as well as before /w/ and /l/ and [ɦ] before other vowels and when word-final
/ɓ/ appears as [m] syllable-finally.

/ɜ/ varies between [ɐ] and [ə] and is often rounded when following /qʷ/, /χʷ/ and /w/. When immediately preceded or followed by another vowel is drops out completely, with /ɜ.ɜ/ resulting in [ɜ:]~[ɔ:]. Similarly, if the coda of a syllable can appear as an onset, VCɜ sequences reduce to VC.

Regressive de-aspiration also occurs, e.g. /kʰatʰu/ > [katʰu]. /f qχ χʷ/ are also grouped with aspirated plosives in this regard, e.g./fakʰo:/ > [pakʰo:].
Just one time.