Frislander
runic
runic

Re: My invented language

Post by Frislander » Sun 14 May 2017, 11:58

teengirlsquad wrote:
Frislander wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
Frislander wrote:Your original video and the others sound like English with a completely altered grammar with some East-Asian-sounding words thrown in, to my ears.
Well, I mean, I'm pretty sure that can be used to describe any language.
But in this case it was almost like a text written in English with the words rearranged and some then replaced with forms from other languages/a priori.
I only speak two languages, that's why.
I only speak English fluently (even though I wish I didn't: I'm like OTheB in that I did French and German at school but not enough to make me fluent), but that doesn't stop me from reading about other languages and using that accumulated info to create completely non-European languages. Fluency in other languages is helpful, but it is not essential to being a good conlanger. What really makes a difference is reading about the structure of other languages and understanding how their sounds/verbs/nouns/etc. work as a system, which is not the same as being able to speak the language.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 14 May 2017, 14:08

Frislander wrote:
teengirlsquad wrote:I only speak two languages, that's why.
I only speak English fluently (even though I wish I didn't: I'm like OTheB in that I did French and German at school but not enough to make me fluent), but that doesn't stop me from reading about other languages and using that accumulated info to create completely non-European languages. Fluency in other languages is helpful, but it is not essential to being a good conlanger. What really makes a difference is reading about the structure of other languages and understanding how their sounds/verbs/nouns/etc. work as a system, which is not the same as being able to speak the language.
I pretty much agree with what Frislander has said to this point. Fluency can inform, but is not an end in itself; you need only go to the Language practice thread to see "oh, yawn, so Euro :roll: " natlangs getting mangled in direct, word-for-word English translationese (one would think conlangers would be a little more sensitive to this, but whatevs).

Pick a sound palette that works for you. Do you want it to feel like a comforting butter cookie or do you want it to feel like an edgy, uncomforting un-butter cookie. Grammar? -- a Waltons' Christmas special, Iron Maiden lyrics, a mixture? (ignore "too Euro/IE" -- "Austronesian" seems to be getting a lot of airplay just now) Just create! There will always be uncharitable naysayers on the web; just experiment (or commit) and see how far it takes you. You, or your conspeakers, should tell you where you need to be. [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 14 May 2017, 15:17

Lao Kou wrote:Pick a sound palette that works for you. Do you want it to feel like a comforting butter cookie or do you want it to feel like an edgy, uncomforting un-butter cookie. Grammar? -- a Waltons' Christmas special, Iron Maiden lyrics, a mixture? (ignore "too Euro/IE" -- "Austronesian" seems to be getting a lot of airplay just now) Just create! There will always be uncharitable naysayers on the web; just experiment (or commit) and see how far it takes you.
All very sage advice that.
your conspeakers, should tell you where you need to be. [:)]
There's not enough [+1] in the smilie bin for this one! I know very many glossopoets love to shift individual atoms around in order to construct the perfectly planned conlinguistical confection. But there is also something to be said for the wilder side of creation --- just let all that micromanagement go and let the language create itself. The speakers of the language, even if they are just in your subconscious, will guide you where you need to go.
Also, please feel free to make convo-convo with more than single-sentence replies! It's très difficult to actually communicate / learn / get all excited about an invented language when the inventor's talking as if on Twitter.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Sun 14 May 2017, 15:36

Lao Kou wrote:
Frislander wrote:
I pretty much agree with what Frislander has said to this point. Fluency can inform, but is not an end in itself; you need only go to the Language practice thread to see "oh, yawn, so Euro :roll: " natlangs getting mangled in direct, word-for-word English translationese (one would think conlangers would be a little more sensitive to this, but whatevs).

Pick a sound palette that works for you. Do you want it to feel like a comforting butter cookie or do you want it to feel like an edgy, uncomforting un-butter cookie. Grammar? -- a Waltons' Christmas special, Iron Maiden lyrics, a mixture? (ignore "too Euro/IE" -- "Austronesian" seems to be getting a lot of airplay just now) Just create! There will always be uncharitable naysayers on the web; just experiment (or commit) and see how far it takes you. You, or your conspeakers, should tell you where you need to be. [:)]
[+1] [+1]
elemtilas wrote:Also, please feel free to make convo-convo with more than single-sentence replies! It's très difficult to actually communicate / learn / get all excited about an invented language when the inventor's talking as if on Twitter.
[+1]
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 14 May 2017, 17:18

elemtilas wrote:There's not enough [+1] in the smilie bin for this one!
Maybe this can help:
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 14 May 2017, 19:16

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Maybe this can help:
[<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3]

How can we add it to the Smile-o-Rama?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 14 May 2017, 19:34

elemtilas wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Maybe this can help:
[<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3]

How can we add it to the Smile-o-Rama?
Copy+Paste this where needed:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i.imgur.com/MRkD5pM.png[/img]

BTW I use Arch
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 14 May 2017, 21:47

OTʜᴇB wrote:
elemtilas wrote:How can we add it to the Smile-o-Rama?
Copy+Paste this where needed:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i.imgur.com/MRkD5pM.png[/img]
Actually, I understand the mechanics of copy-n-paste. What that is was a nudge for someone with appropriate power and authority to add <<Image>> to the little board of smilies and flags and so forth over on the left side of the screen. [:)]

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Mon 15 May 2017, 07:04

elemtilas wrote:What that is was a nudge for someone with appropriate power and authority to add <<Image>> to the little board of smilies and flags and so forth over on the left side of the screen. [:)]
Myeh, I'd just leave it. Image'll work for a while, but there will come a time when upping the ante to 1x10 to the 25th power will be needed to express one's exuberism. And upward and upward. Just click [+1] a couple of times if you must -- you are also at liberty, however, to use words like "I wholeheartedly agree", or "I vehemently disagree" to express such sentiments.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 15 May 2017, 08:56

Lao Kou wrote:there will come a time when upping the ante to 1x10 to the 25th power will be needed to express one's exuberism.
Don't give me any ideas...

BTW I use Arch
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Mon 15 May 2017, 10:18

Methinks we have unfortunately derailed focus from teengirlsquad's lang.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad » Wed 17 May 2017, 06:59

Frislander wrote:Your original video and the others sound like English with a completely altered grammar with some East-Asian-sounding words thrown in, to my ears.
To be fair, it is a creole.
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Wed 17 May 2017, 11:58

teengirlsquad wrote:
To be fair, it is a creole.
Ooh, a creole! Why didn't you say so earlier, this makes it all the more fascinating: we don't see many of those round here!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Wed 17 May 2017, 16:01

Frislander wrote:
teengirlsquad wrote:To be fair, it is a creole.
Ooh, a creole! Why didn't you say so earlier, this makes it all the more fascinating: we don't see many of those round here!
That's true! Time to spill the gumbo and tell us more about it!!

teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad » Sat 20 May 2017, 08:58

teengirlsquad wrote:
teengirlsquad wrote:In YouTube videos of me speaking in my invented language, the closed captions could easily guess my conlang is mostly English. BTW, check out the closed captions in this video, there's a really funny part. https://youtube.com/watch?v=lM_HYl_pMmA
"breaking guys ass will someone get me together"
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 15:33

Luuking bäkk ån kun ferst miitwiid
Nåwai voi takas ja nåwai voi unohtaa
Beibii bjuu dhuh wuhn, silti terñuu mii ån
Voijuu aser mii håwl uhgeen
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 09:41

teengirlsquad wrote:
Thu 18 Jan 2018, 15:33
Luuking bäkk ån kun ferst miitwiid
Nåwai voi takas ja nåwai voi unohtaa
Beibii bjuu dhuh wuhn, silti terñuu mii ån
Voijuu aser mii håwl uhgeen
Could anybody here have a stab?
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:10

A stab at... what?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:37

At translating that passage, duh.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 12:11

...not sure why that would be obvious as this is your thread about the language. Simply posting an unglossed passage in a romanization doesn't really give any clues as to what anyone is supposed to do with it. (I had guessed you were merely posting it to show what the 'lang looks like written out.)

You may want to actually present some info about your language in the thread. So far, it seems like the vast majority of info here is from people making guesses about your language, I mean, it wasn't until the second page that we even found out it was a creole!