Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
User avatar
lsd
greek
greek
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:11

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by lsd » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 17:08

In natural languages, it should be noted that often the accents (and local idiomatics) come from a recessive (or even disappeared) linguistic substratum of the territory or origin of immigrant population...

The conlangs are indeed recursive languages, they could give rise to original accents... if their creators really use them...

And could you imagine the recessive language phonology from an ex nihilo conaccent...
teengirlsquad
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:40

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by teengirlsquad » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 16:17

lsd wrote:In natural languages, it should be noted that often the accents (and local idiomatics) come from a recessive (or even disappeared) linguistic substratum of the territory or origin of immigrant population...

The conlangs are indeed recursive languages, they could give rise to original accents... if their creators really use them...

And could you imagine the recessive language phonology from an ex nihilo conaccent...
Did you see my latest video? What does my invented accent sound like there?
User avatar
lsd
greek
greek
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:11

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by lsd » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 16:30

Stephen Hawking at the bottom of a septic tank...
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 23 Jun 2017, 01:49

teengirlsquad wrote:Did you see my latest video? What does my invented accent sound like there?
lsd wrote:Stephen Hawking at the bottom of a septic tank...
I think that's from the quality of the recording, and/or the background noise, rather than the conaccent itself.
I could be wrong.
I hope teengirlsquad didn't take offense at lsd's post; I doubt any offense was intended.
@teengirlsquad, I hope you keep participating on this CBBoard!
User avatar
lsd
greek
greek
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:11

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by lsd » Fri 23 Jun 2017, 06:07

Sure, it was a joke...
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 23 Jun 2017, 16:43

That's a lot clearer, I think. I understand more and longer stretches of the utterances.
I still have no idea what influences there are. You'd have to tell me.

[hr][/hr]

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between an accent and a speech-impediment. My relatives and neighbors and friends have sometimes been thought to have an impediment by people who were newbies to our accents (and indeed to all accents other than their own, in most cases!).

A person who is used to very many accents, and is interested in them, can sometimes mistake an impediment for an accent!
I did this; a young person was serving me and I thought her accent interesting, so I asked her about it. She said "it's not an accent, it's a speech impediment".
I was sorry I hurt her feelings, but I thought too slow.
Later -- too late to say it to her -- it occurred to me that it wasn't much of an impediment because her speech wasn't very impeded -- I understood her perfectly, I just thought she had an interesting accent.
Of course, when she was younger, it may have been more of an impediment. And, of course, if you get made fun of for something for a few years when you're 15 and younger, you're not going to be completely over it by your middle 20s.

[hr][/hr]

Executive summary;
No, @teengirlsquad, I still can't tell what RL accents influenced your conaccent.
Will you tell us, please?
(If you're ready to!)
teengirlsquad
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:40

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by teengirlsquad » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 13:20

eldin raigmore wrote:
That's a lot clearer, I think. I understand more and longer stretches of the utterances.
I still have no idea what influences there are. You'd have to tell me.

[hr][/hr]

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between an accent and a speech-impediment. My relatives and neighbors and friends have sometimes been thought to have an impediment by people who were newbies to our accents (and indeed to all accents other than their own, in most cases!).

A person who is used to very many accents, and is interested in them, can sometimes mistake an impediment for an accent!
I did this; a young person was serving me and I thought her accent interesting, so I asked her about it. She said "it's not an accent, it's a speech impediment".
I was sorry I hurt her feelings, but I thought too slow.
Later -- too late to say it to her -- it occurred to me that it wasn't much of an impediment because her speech wasn't very impeded -- I understood her perfectly, I just thought she had an interesting accent.
Of course, when she was younger, it may have been more of an impediment. And, of course, if you get made fun of for something for a few years when you're 15 and younger, you're not going to be completely over it by your middle 20s.

[hr][/hr]

Executive summary;
No, @teengirlsquad, I still can't tell what RL accents influenced your conaccent.
Will you tell us, please?
(If you're ready to!)
I'm not gonna say all of the influences right now, but there are some influences of the Raccoon Girl from Teen Girl Squad, or the show that inspired my username. (The stretched vowels and vocal fry, I mean. Kind of a subtle influence though.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QoakRwtoaU
Last edited by teengirlsquad on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 16:13

As I understand it, utterance-final vocal fry is a common diachronic prelude to utterance-final devoicing, in some natlangs or natlects.
Also in some RL natlects there's utterance-final vowel-stretching; but I would guess those two tendencies would militate against each other (I am no expert, though, so that's just a guess!).

(BTW utterance-final stuff sometimes migrates to sentence-final stuff, then clause-final stuff, then phrase-final stuff, then word-final stuff. Look what's happened to so many word-final syllables in French, e.g.)

Vowel-stretching the emphasized word, or morpheme, or major-stressed syllable thereof, also happens IRL; and I think probably could happen at the same time and in the same 'lect as the final vocal fry.


I had never before heard of Teen Girl Squad, and didn't know what it was.
I'd never have guessed that as an influence.
Makes me think I also would never guess most of your other influences.
I think maybe I'd be lucky to peer past the age-gap between my 65 years and your however-many; are some of the influences things that are likely to be familiar to both of us?
teengirlsquad
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:40

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by teengirlsquad » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 13:04

eldin raigmore wrote:As I understand it, utterance-final vocal fry is a common diachronic prelude to utterance-final devoicing, in some natlangs or natlects.
Also in some RL natlects there's utterance-final vowel-stretching; but I would guess those two tendencies would militate against each other (I am no expert, though, so that's just a guess!).

(BTW utterance-final stuff sometimes migrates to sentence-final stuff, then clause-final stuff, then phrase-final stuff, then word-final stuff. Look what's happened to so many word-final syllables in French, e.g.)

Vowel-stretching the emphasized word, or morpheme, or major-stressed syllable thereof, also happens IRL; and I think probably could happen at the same time and in the same 'lect as the final vocal fry.


I had never before heard of Teen Girl Squad, and didn't know what it was.
I'd never have guessed that as an influence.
Makes me think I also would never guess most of your other influences.
I think maybe I'd be lucky to peer past the age-gap between my 65 years and your however-many; are some of the influences things that are likely to be familiar to both of us?
BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 16:10

teengirlsquad wrote:BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
I'd think a teenager from California's West Coast, who sometimes liked to talk falsetto for some reason.
That'd be my first and best guess, but I suppose there'd be more to it.
I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
teengirlsquad
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:40

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by teengirlsquad » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 10:32

teengirlsquad wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:As I understand it, utterance-final vocal fry is a common diachronic prelude to utterance-final devoicing, in some natlangs or natlects.
Also in some RL natlects there's utterance-final vowel-stretching; but I would guess those two tendencies would militate against each other (I am no expert, though, so that's just a guess!).

(BTW utterance-final stuff sometimes migrates to sentence-final stuff, then clause-final stuff, then phrase-final stuff, then word-final stuff. Look what's happened to so many word-final syllables in French, e.g.)

Vowel-stretching the emphasized word, or morpheme, or major-stressed syllable thereof, also happens IRL; and I think probably could happen at the same time and in the same 'lect as the final vocal fry.


I had never before heard of Teen Girl Squad, and didn't know what it was.
I'd never have guessed that as an influence.
Makes me think I also would never guess most of your other influences.
I think maybe I'd be lucky to peer past the age-gap between my 65 years and your however-many; are some of the influences things that are likely to be familiar to both of us?
BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
Any other opinions?
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2832
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by elemtilas » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 16:06

teengirlsquad wrote:BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
Any other opinions?
. . .
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 29 Jun 2017, 16:17

On second thought there might be some U.K.-ishness there.
teengirlsquad
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:40

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by teengirlsquad » Fri 30 Jun 2017, 11:27

eldin raigmore wrote:
teengirlsquad wrote:BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
I'd think a teenager from California's West Coast, who sometimes liked to talk falsetto for some reason.
That'd be my first and best guess, but I suppose there'd be more to it.
I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
But I'm not from Singapore.
teengirlsquad
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:40

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by teengirlsquad » Fri 30 Jun 2017, 11:42

TBH, I heavily revamped my conaccent in my latest video because the other times, it only sounded like an inarticulate American accent.
Last edited by teengirlsquad on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 12:06, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2832
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by elemtilas » Fri 30 Jun 2017, 11:53

teengirlsquad wrote:TBH, I heavily revamped my conaccent in the latest video because the other times, it only sounded like an inarticulate American accent.
No your exaggerated accent doesn't sound particularly Singaporean, though your native Tagalog and Malay are both Austronesian languages. There are a lot of non-borrowed words that are the same and mean the same thing (anak, kami, lima, langit, etc.) The processes of code-switching and combining with English are similar in both countries (Singlish / Taglish). The education is also similar in both where "English" is the medium of education, but not even the teachers are really aware how to speak or enunciate English.

It's no surprise that some whiff of Singaporean should show up in your exaggerated speech form!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 30 Jun 2017, 19:45

teengirlsquad wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
But I'm not from Singapore.
Well,
in the first place, we're talking about your creatively-made-up conaccent, not your real-life natural accent;
in the second place I said I wasn't confident and didn't think I really knew enough about Singlish to have any confidence;
in the third place you said to guess, and if I had to guess, that might be part of my guess, but given my ignorance I probably would have preferred not to guess.

I'd guess you're also not from California?
And, based on your appearance and the sound of your voice, aren't a girl?
Also, if you're still a teen, I'd guess you're past or close to eighteen; if not still a teen, still shy of 25 (maybe close to 21?).

All of the above are just guesses on my part. I will not be at all embarrassed to find out any or even all of them are in error.
I will, however, be chagrinned if my errors offend you; I hope they don't!

Are the characters in Teen Girl Squad supposed to be Californian? Or other West Coast USAnian? Or Hawaiian?
Are its creators men from California or the West Coast or Hawaii? I'd guess so.

What about my saying that, if forced to guess, I'd say I detected a bit of UK influence there?
teengirlsquad
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:40

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by teengirlsquad » Sat 01 Jul 2017, 14:08

eldin raigmore wrote:
teengirlsquad wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
But I'm not from Singapore.
Well,
in the first place, we're talking about your creatively-made-up conaccent, not your real-life natural accent;
in the second place I said I wasn't confident and didn't think I really knew enough about Singlish to have any confidence;
in the third place you said to guess, and if I had to guess, that might be part of my guess, but given my ignorance I probably would have preferred not to guess.

I'd guess you're also not from California?
And, based on your appearance and the sound of your voice, aren't a girl?
Also, if you're still a teen, I'd guess you're past or close to eighteen; if not still a teen, still shy of 25 (maybe close to 21?).

All of the above are just guesses on my part. I will not be at all embarrassed to find out any or even all of them are in error.
I will, however, be chagrinned if my errors offend you; I hope they don't!

Are the characters in Teen Girl Squad supposed to be Californian? Or other West Coast USAnian? Or Hawaiian?
Are its creators men from California or the West Coast or Hawaii? I'd guess so.

What about my saying that, if forced to guess, I'd say I detected a bit of UK influence there?
I do have a bunch of vlogs where I talk in my natural voice though.
Post Reply