Deriving greetings?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Deriving greetings?

Post by LinguistCat » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 01:47

Specifically I have a language which is more or less a relative of Japanese spoken by cat Youkai. I don't see them having exactly the same greetings that humans would, but due to interacting with humans, they might borrow some. For example: Because they are nocturnal where and when possible, cats would not see the morning as "early" and would be unlikely to derive their morning greeting from it being early as happened in the Japanese language IRL.

More generally, though, what strategies do you (generic) use to derive things like greetings and other set phrases? Is there any difference to your thought process when making an a priori language vs deriving it from a natural language?

ETA: I realized this was in the wrong section. I hope it's ok that I repost it over here. [:3]
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Re: Deriving greetings?

Post by k1234567890y » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 14:10

Many conlangers seem to create greet words as the first words; however, if you want to be naturalistic, there's one thing that should be known, in natural languages, greeting words are often from "corrupted" forms of phrases commonly used for greeting.

In some languages, the equivalent for "hello" simply means "greeting!", which indicates what they are doing when greeting others; others can have other set phrases to express it, sometimes those phrases are formulated ways originally used to express concern to the people greeted(e.g. "how are you"), or phrases that are formulated ways to find common topics for both sides like weather(e.g. "good day").

You can consider their culture to decide what phrases are likely to be used for greeting, and for your cats, they certainly can see "night" as "early", and they might derive words for "night" from "early" and "daytime" from "late", as opposed to human beings. But if they are going to borrow greetings, they might ignore the original meanings and simply use them.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 01:07

Some conlangs don't have greetings.
Last edited by Reyzadren on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LinguistCat » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 01:19

Thank you. I've come up with some things to derive them from but I'm not sure how I'll "corrupt" or simplify them just yet. So for now "good morning" (after the sun is up) is 明日が pronounced /mi.ja.u.ni.tsi.nga/ and "hello/greetings" is どの様狩り /ndo.no.ja.u.ka.ri/

I'll still at least need "good evening" and "goodbye" but it's definitely a start.