more vowel sound changes

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
LinguistCat
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

more vowel sound changes

Post by LinguistCat » Sat 04 Nov 2017, 20:12

Starting from the vowel inventory /a i ɨ e ɛ o ɔ u/, I was planning to have /a e ɛ/ raise to [æ ɛ ɪ] or there about in certain environments, and keep /i ɨ/ the same, but I'm not sure if I want /o ɔ u/ to raise, unround, front, or do some combo of those. My first thought was to make them [ə ə ʉ] because I eventually want /ɨ~ɯ~u/ to be a thing, influenced by Japanese and some Ryukyuan languages, and I also eventually wanted to have the freedom to turn the schwas into basically whatever felt the most balanced.

Also, I've previously asked about nasal vowels and sound changes that result from those, so I know what direction I want to go with that in particular. But, would the sound change above be able to stop certain vowels from being nasalized, at least in some cases? Should all the resulting vowels from the inventory resulting get nasalized and go on to be altered more later? Are there vowels that cross linguistically are less likely to nasalize, even if the rest of a vowel inventory is nasalizing?

I really just have very poor intuition when it comes to vowels and how they change besides vaguely sliding around the vowel chart. I do intend to reanalyze the results of this whole set of changes into something with about 4-7 vowels, but I want to get my base changes figured out first.