Nevertheless, even though it is a personal language and I don't necessarily have to be able to explain or justify this or that feature, I do not want to be lazy and half-ass a bad, dysfunctional language. Not having to justify does not excuse poor craftsmanship. With that in mind, I am also trying to step away from the overly quirky and unjustified oddities, something I've been doing in my past conlangs. I want this conlang to be more subtle, more sober.
I hope you like it as much as I do.
The phonology is very much inspired by Polynesian languages, though I have altered a few things to my liking.
/p t k ʔ/ <p t k ‘>
/m n ŋ/ <m n ng>
/v s h/ <v s h>
/ɾ l/ <r l>
- /w/ becomes /ɥ/ before a front vowel
- All the consonants can be geminated, even in word-initial positions. Word-initial long plosives can be glottalised to contrast with their short counterparts
- Geminated /ɾ/ is realised as [rː]. Geminated /w~ɥ/ is always realised as [wː]
/a e i ɔ u/ <a e i o u>
/aː eː iː ɔː uː/ <aa ee ii oo uu>
- Combinations of vowels have no restriction. That said, each VV sequence can be pronounced in 3 different ways. For example: rauna, rạuna, raụna: /ˈɾa.u.na/, /ˈɾau̯.na/, /ˈɾa̯u.na/. If the VV sequence is a diphthong, the phonemic vowel is marked with a dot under it in the romanisation.
- (C)V(V) syllable structure. The heaviest allowed syllable is CVV where VV are two vowels of a diphthong or a single long vowel
- Consonant clusters are therefore not allowed; words must end in a vowel
- Stress usually falls on the first syllable of a word, though syllables with diphthongs or long vowels often tend to attract the stress
Iẹ tetẹu uạ ngi Kiwia o miwii.
/i̯e teˈteu̯ u̯a ŋi kiɥia ɔ ˈmiɥiː/
PRS speak CAP 1S Kiwia DEF language
I can speak Kiwia.
Iẹ mara ngi me.
/i̯e ˈmaɾa ŋi me/
PRS love 1S 2S
I love you.
We matae no neạ va annai ire ngi.
/ɥe ˈmatae nɔ ne̯a va ˈanːai iɾe ŋi/
PST caress EXCL 3S DEF heart POS.INAL 1S
I find him/her interesting/appealing. Lit: S.he caressed my heart.
From these examples, one can already see some grammatical features:
- Isolating nature and use of particles
- VSO word order
- Lack of grammatical gender
- Distinction between alienable and inalienable possessions