A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Words to mean Friend

Post by Creyeditor » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 21:36

Birdlang wrote:
Wed 17 Oct 2018, 19:36
In Indonesian, they also have the word teman which is sort of like a general friend, it comes from Tamil I believe. It’s the same in Malay and Sundanese (though there’s a few words for friend in this one). In Romance languages, like as mentioned French ‘ami’ and Spanish ‘amigo’, come from the Latin word for lover, amicus, and probably got lowered in meaning from there. In Hindi, they have p̱ẖraim̄d which comes from English, and another word from Sanskrit which I forgot.
In my conlangs the word for friend varies, but the original meaning means one who stays close to ones heart.
Just wanted to stress that the Indonesian word is really more general. It can also mean 'colleague' or even 'person that went to the same school'. It is generally used for person that are in a certain social group with someone (except for families). As already mentioned, IIRC, the word for close friend is 'sahabt' (from Arabic). Another alternative, which I have found people think sounds archaic is 'kawan' which is used as a 1SG pronoun in other dialects IINM.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku » Thu 18 Oct 2018, 11:42

Are we doing conlangs too?

The Yélian and Caelian words for friend, ʻifran and hivren respectively, are derived from an old root *hvrn, meaning to help.
Heaven and Earth, but I feel the color of the cake when you keep the Victoria.
I had a mantra on the moss and I had to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Wed 24 Oct 2018, 10:23

Iyionaku wrote:
Thu 18 Oct 2018, 11:42
Are we doing conlangs too?
[:D] I thought we were only doing conlangs, actually.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Wed 24 Oct 2018, 20:40

The OP asks about both natlangs and conlangs, so share to your hearts' content.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Wed 24 Oct 2018, 21:10

Oh, sorry, I was making wrong assumptions based on the section the thread was opened in. [:S]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 08:39

The Asta word for "friend" is wenyəsə, which is transparently a derivative of the intransitive verb -enyə "be friendly, welcoming", which has an interesting transitivised form -enyəx which means "to help, advise".
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 13:19

Frislander wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018, 08:39
The Asta word for "friend" is wenyəsə, which is transparently a derivative of the intransitive verb -enyə "be friendly, welcoming", which has an interesting transitivised form -enyəx which means "to help, advise".
Your PIE work leaking through, I see...
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 17:10

Salmoneus wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018, 13:19
Frislander wrote:
If there's a PIE parallel to this it is entirely coincidental.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 21:39

Frislander wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018, 17:10
Salmoneus wrote:
Frislander wrote:
Seriously? Huh. Maybe it's subliminal.
*wen1- is a PIE root, 'to love', which later came to refer to friendship. Most obviously for us in OE wine, friend, which is the -win element in names like Godwin, Edwin, etc. It's also the origin of the name of Venus, and Latin 'venustus', friendly or charming. Presumably due to the friendship sense, it's found in the names of several IE ethnicities - in modern English, we have the terms "Venice" and "Wend", reflecting the Adriatic and Baltic Veneti/Winidaz respectively. It's also found in the names of some Celtic tribes.

And then -yəsə looks like a believable PIE suffix.
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Fri 26 Oct 2018, 08:54

Salmoneus wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018, 21:39
Frislander wrote:
Thu 25 Oct 2018, 17:10
Salmoneus wrote:
Frislander wrote:
Seriously? Huh. Maybe it's subliminal.
*wen1- is a PIE root, 'to love', which later came to refer to friendship. Most obviously for us in OE wine, friend, which is the -win element in names like Godwin, Edwin, etc. It's also the origin of the name of Venus, and Latin 'venustus', friendly or charming. Presumably due to the friendship sense, it's found in the names of several IE ethnicities - in modern English, we have the terms "Venice" and "Wend", reflecting the Adriatic and Baltic Veneti/Winidaz respectively. It's also found in the names of some Celtic tribes.

And then -yəsə looks like a believable PIE suffix.
Huh, interesting, maybe I'll use that in my IE-lang as my friend word. In any case I hadn't heard of it, simply because I haven't ever come across a full IE lexicon yet, though I assume I should be able to get hold of one easily if I looked.

As for -yəsə, yeah I can see why it would, but it's segmented totally differently: the -y represents a palatal nasal, and the -yə as a whole is part of the root, while -sə is an agent noun suffix.