What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by loglorn » Fri 22 Jan 2016, 18:54

eldin raigmore wrote:
loglorn wrote:After a very, very long time, there is a new Chífjaeśí post. This time dealing with Prepositions. I also started the sound changes between Retla and its descendants, but that little voice in my head tells me i shouldn't do that until i've documented more langs from the first generation.
Link? URL?
That's the one. Here, more specifically.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 22 Jan 2016, 19:08

loglorn wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
loglorn wrote:After a very, very long time, there is a new Chífjaeśí post. This time dealing with Prepositions. I also started the sound changes between Retla and its descendants, but that little voice in my head tells me i shouldn't do that until i've documented more langs from the first generation.
Link? URL?
That's the one. Here, more specifically.
Thanks!
I just finished reading it; I like it a lot!
jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 17:18

Updated the verb section of my grammar and added a separate section for transitivity, clearing up some things and fixing some discrepancies between how I wanted the language to work and how it actually turned out to work (again :P )
Jutean: Hawaiian phonology meets Tagalog, with English ergativity and Mandarin tenselessness added.
Also on CWS.
Information on Juteans and their homeland
Larryrl
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Larryrl » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 18:15

jute wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:No Géarthnuns word for microwave?! [D:] [:'(]

That's been fixed. [B)]
Ooh, what did you come up with? My water molecules are vibrating with anticipation.
Personally, I'd use "heat-machine", vanivaili (from 'vani' heat + 'vaili' tool/machine derivation suffix)
Though I'm sure there are more creative possibilities here.
Not sure what I'd use but heat machine could also be a clothes dryer [:)] Personally I like food zapper [:D]
YAI KENES BAMOES JAUN GI FEZ E AJ KENES AUYUR HAI DANJUGI DA FILE.
You can lead man to restaurant but cannot make him to pay the bill.
jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 20:18

Larryrl wrote:
jute wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:No Géarthnuns word for microwave?! [D:] [:'(]

That's been fixed. [B)]
Ooh, what did you come up with? My water molecules are vibrating with anticipation.
Personally, I'd use "heat-machine", vanivaili (from 'vani' heat + 'vaili' tool/machine derivation suffix)
Though I'm sure there are more creative possibilities here.
Not sure what I'd use but heat machine could also be a clothes dryer [:)] Personally I like food zapper [:D]
Well, I hardly use dryers except sometimes for sheets (never have used them for clothes) so I didn't think of it. "heat-machine for clothes" could be a word for that, vanivaili nuhe ejotamatiti
Jutean: Hawaiian phonology meets Tagalog, with English ergativity and Mandarin tenselessness added.
Also on CWS.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 12:10

Sorry, I can't move past it... you don't use a dryer for your clothes?!
Jackk
greek
greek

Post by Jackk » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 14:45

Perhaps they hang out their washing to dry...
Eresse anga paris cur neduc, a san teonga.
The only thing more dangerous than doubt is certainty.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 15:45

Jackk wrote:Perhaps they hang out their washing to dry...
I guess I am just stuck in my midwestern US mindset here. In Wisconsin, that solution will only really work for you something like 2.5 to 4 months of the year, requiring an alternate solution for the other 2/3rd of the year.
Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ketumak » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 17:39

Not just Wisconsin. There's a similar chance of success with outdoor drying here in the north of England.

My own accomplishment today is that I've posted an overview of Old Lemohai-Letsuri on my blog. This was the immediate ancestor of the modern Lemohai and Letsuri languages. The real world model for this is the way Galician-Portuguese split ino Galician and Portuguese in late medieval/early modern times.

With that and the timeline I did last month, I'm starting to get some real, historical depth to a conlang for the first time ever.
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 19:10

How in hell did people survive in Wisconsin and Northern England before dryers were invented? I guess they didn't wash their clothes outside of summer? [;)]
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 20:33

gestaltist wrote:How in hell did people survive in Wisconsin and Northern England before dryers were invented? I guess they didn't wash their clothes outside of summer? [;)]
I thought that's what fireplaces were for - drying clothes & cooking, both indoors.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ketumak » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 20:42

Yup, that's how it was at our house back in the '60s. There were also more stay-at-home housewives in those days, so amongst many other jobs they would try drying clothes outdoors then whip them in quick at a sign of rain and hang them on a clothes horse in front of the fire. I remember my mother doing that and getting us kids to help if we were around.
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai
jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 21:18

I have a drying rack that I put my clothes on, after a night they are ready to wear. I only started using the dryer for the sheets because I forgot to bring a second set of them from home (currently in a dorm) and so couldn't leave them to dry overnight. My parents don't even have one at home, when I came here I saw one for the first time in my life :P
Ketumak wrote:Yup, that's how it was at our house back in the '60s. There were also more stay-at-home housewives in those days, so amongst many other jobs they would try drying clothes outdoors then whip them in quick at a sign of rain and hang them on a clothes horse in front of the fire. I remember my mother doing that and getting us kids to help if we were around.
My mother still does that, actually. I had no idea it was so old-fashioned. Though we usually have our rack in the basement, rather than in front of a fireplace.

Anyway, as for my accomplishment, I translated the A-Team intro.
Also on CWS.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » Mon 25 Jan 2016, 00:04

Inspired by some European languages, I decided to have two different ways of forming the perfect stem for my verbs after the restructuring of the verbs of Shonkasika.

Most verbs will form their perfect by affixing -pe to the stem:
ruvat, ruvapet I love, I have loved.

Verbs of motion, inchoative verbs, and verbs in the middle and passive voice will affix -ke to the stem:
zat, zaket I go, I have gone.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 17:32

Spoiler:
:eng: Richard Chandler
His first work consisted of fragments from the minor Greek poets, with notes (Elegiaca Graeca, 1759); and in 1763 he published a fine edition of the inscriptions among the Arundel marbles, Marmora Oxoniensia, with a Latin translation, and a number of suggestions for supplying the lacunae.

:lat: Latin (SCA2 input)
Suum primárium óperam consístit de fragméntum de ípsum poétam gráecum minórem, cum nótam et in 1763 ípse públicat únam editiónem de īnscriptiónem en ípsum mármorum Arundel, cum translatiónem latínum et únum suggestiónem númerum pro plénare lacunae

:con: Unnamed Berbromlang (raw)
isu hrimárju óbera consíhtit d hragméntu d íhsu foéda grégu minór, cu nóda et in 1763 íhs fúbligat úna editjón d inhcrihtjón en íhsu mármoru Arundel, cu tranhlatjón latínu et únu isuggehtjón númeru hro hlénar lacunae

:con: Unnamed Berbromlang (adjusted)
Su ṛimárju óbera consíṭit d'ṛagméntu d'íṣu foéda grégu minór, cu nóda e'in 1763 íṣ fúbligat úna editión d'incṛiṭión en ṣu mármoru Arundel, cu tranḷatión latínu et únu suggeṭión númeru ṛo ḷénar lacunae

(I haven't included Arabic loans at this point. This is roughly when Arabic begins to enter heavily into the language)

:con: Unnamed Berbromlang (adjusted in IPA)
/su rˤiˈmarʒu ˈobera conˈsitˤit d'rˤagˈmentu ˈdisˤu foˈéda ˈgregu miˈnor, cu ˈnoda ejn 1763 ˈiṣ ˈfubligat ˈuna ediˈtjon d'incrˤiˈtˤjon en sˤu ˈmarmoru Arundel, cu tranlˤaˈtjon laˈtinu et ˈunu suggeˈtˤjon ˈnumeru rˤo ˈlˤenar lacunae/
(I haven't included the effects of pharyngealization, or some minor vowel changes. I'm not sure what cum should become. I'm floating co, cu, cum, and con. Similarly, I'm unsure of et's realization. It will be elided in some areas. Mainly, behind vowels. Should it be elided behind unu?)
Has the possibility of r/l mutation
My longest evah translation
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark » Tue 26 Jan 2016, 21:56

I adjusted my perfect suffixes by adding a vowel to the front, giving me -ipe (class I) and -uke (class II). This is so that I could get some interesting vowel changes for my perfect stems.

stem vowel, class I perfect, class II perfect
-a, -aipe, -auke
-ai, -aipe, -auke
-e, -eipe, -öke
-i, -yepe/iepe, -üke
-o, -oipe, -ouke
-oi, -oipe, -ouke
-u, -üpe, -woke/uoke

The i-stems have palatalization of the previous consonant in the perfect form:

katit, katsepet I work, I have worked
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs including Shonkasika: http://felipesnark.weebly.com/ It's a work in progress!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Wed 27 Jan 2016, 03:09

I finally wrote down Silvish sound changes. There's still a lot of fine tuning to do, but I can at last evolve new words without worrying I've forgotten something or that I got the changes in the wrong order.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Wed 27 Jan 2016, 06:31

I couldn't sleep yesterday, so I quickly translated some parts of Adele's 'Hello' into Buonavallese.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh » Wed 27 Jan 2016, 20:15

Some days ago I had the brilliant idea of inflecting a noun based on which way you look at it. This became part of Nnn Heeel, and it'd probably be put into other languages at some point as well.
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)
Natural languages: zh-hk, zh-cn, en
jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute » Wed 27 Jan 2016, 20:18

Isoraqathedh wrote:Some days ago I had the brilliant idea of inflecting a noun based on which way you look at it. This became part of Nnn Heeel, and it'd probably be put into other languages at some point as well.
Could you clarify, please?
Also on CWS.