What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4318
Joined: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 02:27

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by qwed117 » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 05:57

Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Edit: More manageable image size
Last edited by qwed117 on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
User avatar
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Pabappa » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 16:57

qwed117 wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 05:57
Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
I love that. That seems like the kind of script I'd be doodling away with whenever I was trapped in a boring lecture, etc and people would think it just looks like shapes but I imagine they are all, or mostly, the same proportions for height and width?

-----------

I've been working on a climate map that I started more than 10 years ago and is of little importance even to me, since I pretty much know the climates of the various areas of the planet without a reference. Ive mostly completed the map of January temperatures, and then will work on summer temperatures, and then precipitation. Then I will overlay the three maps and try to make continuous contours from the many resulting lozenge shapes, and then call that the final map. I plan to use my own climate system, not Köppen or any other Earth-based one, because the planet has different characteristics such that in Köppen most of the planet would be lumped into one of the marine climates due to the low axial tilt.
Image
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:17

Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by gestaltist » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:26

DesEsseintes wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:17
Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
I get that feeling all the time! For some reason, my mind insists that words with more than 3 syllables are not viable, no matter the reality.
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:30

gestaltist wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:26
DesEsseintes wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:17
Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
I get that feeling all the time! For some reason, my mind insists that words with more than 3 syllables are not viable, no matter the reality.
Yeah, it’s not like you speak Italian or Polish or sth, with words like chiacchiererebbero and osiemdziesięciolatek mucking around. [xD]
xroox
sinic
sinic
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 18:24

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by xroox » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 20:41

I've worked on the verb p, 'to do', in Deinau. As a main verb, it has been replaced in all of its inflected forms with the verb ·ir, 'to make', being used only for non-inflected forms as suppletives. It is also the most used of the light verbs, the other two of them, map and pa, are actually derived from it. The verb pa has fused the transitive suffix -a into the verb root, and is now used as intransitive. The verb map is a fusion of the verb into the noun 'word', becoming a derivative suffix (there are incorporated nouns, but they work in other ways). It has also become an auxiliary verb for hearsay evidentiality. The difference between all these forms can be seen below:

Bal báśaŋŋigu ·írdu.
ERG-1 CL-clay.pot-INDF.ACC make-PFV.REC
I just made a clay pot.

Bal ·pì baśaŋŋigu pagdu.
ERG-1 do.REL CL-clay.pot-INDF.ABS break-PFV.REC
The claypot I made just broke.

Is màrir pùŋŋalot?
ACC-2 help do-NMZ-INTER-POT
May i help you?

Ŋil daal pàŋŋalot?
DAT-1 heart do-INTR-NMZ-INTER-POT
Can you remember me?

Bas ·donmaak mapùŋŋalot?
ERG-2 truth word-do-NMZ-INTER-POT
Can you assure me that?

·Ésil ànannantukpaa ŋi blaampu.
Esil CL-orphan-OBL.PL DAT money-do-PFV.REM
Esil donated to the orphans.

·Ésil ànannantukpaa ŋi blaapa maampu.
Esil CL-orphan-OBL.PL DAT money-do-SUF word-do-PFV.REM
Esil donated to the orphans, they say.
User avatar
Frislander
runic
runic
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 17:47
Location: The North

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Frislander » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 22:55

I think I may have finally found the consonant system to go with the vowel inventory /iə ɯə uɵ e ɤ o a ɒ/: /t̪ tʂ cç kʷ ʔ ɬ̪ ʂ h n̪ ɺ˞ j w/. Only problem is now I've split the vowels into ablauting pairs which I'm trying to co-opt into a system for marking grammatical case that I've no idea how to make feel natural, and I'm still not settled on the romanisation [:'(]
DesEsseintes wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:17
Do you ever get that stupidest of all conlanging feelings where you have some creeping suspicion that your language cannot possibly have enough different-sounding words to be functional? I know it’s utter nonsense but I get that feeling anyway and therefore I’m glad to say that I’ve managed to rid myself of it permanently with regards to Híí:

Playing around with Awkwords, I now know that there are 1,098,770,112 possible combinations of four syllables in Híí, where two of said syllables can be any weight and two are light.

So now I can sleep peacefully.
You know I get that so much as well, which is pretty ironic considering our love of minimal phonology!
User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon 15 Aug 2016, 15:15
Location: ܬܩܠܡܟܢܓܝܕܪ

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Void » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 00:02

I organise my lexicon in an Excel spreadsheet. Today, this is my accomplishment.

vádh [ʋa:ð]

1. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
ܣܐ ܚܘܡ ܐܝ ܩܟܝܙܘܐ ܝܗܟܝܐ ܘܫܫܠ
User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3823
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 00:39

qwed117 wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 05:57
Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Pretty! But now I feel compelled to make a complimentary version in Vingdagese since I don't have a word for that yet.
Image
User avatar
Sḿtuval
greek
greek
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed 09 Oct 2013, 23:56
Location: California

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Sḿtuval » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 10:15

Finally got around to figuring out how definiteness and specificity work in Ythnandosian. At least I hope so.

(“What did you eat?”)
Mẓo-∅ ze-pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS SPEC-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo ze.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a/the fish.”

(“What did you eat?”)
Mẓo-∅ pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate some fish (but I don’t remember which).”

(“Did you notice I made fish?”)
Mẓo-∅ -pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS DEF-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo kɑ̀.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate the (same) fish.”

(“Did you notice I made fish?”)
Mẓo-∅ ze-pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS SPEC-fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo ze.pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a (different) fish.”

(“Did you notice I made fish?”)
Mẓo-∅ pàŋ-∅ mir-za-ṣ-∅-∅.
cooked-ABS fish-ABS eat-3-1-PFV-PST
/m.ʑo pɑ̀ŋ miɹ.zɑɕ/
“I ate a/some fish (but I don’t know if it’s the same).”
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by OTʜᴇB » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 17:46

Void wrote:
Tue 21 Nov 2017, 00:02
1. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
I see what you did there... [;)]
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4318
Joined: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 02:27

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by qwed117 » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 01:58

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Tue 21 Nov 2017, 00:39
qwed117 wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 05:57
Present for all awaiting:
Image

/pʰaː˧˥/ n. man
Pretty! But now I feel compelled to make a complimentary version in Vingdagese since I don't have a word for that yet.
More gifts Thrice!
Image
/ɕiːŋ˨˩/ n. - finger
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
User avatar
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Pabappa » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 04:32

I added 86 noun classifier suffixes to the Khulls lexicon .... This sounds like way too much, and it is, but they'll merge into a dozen or so just with existing phonotactic rules, so I plan to keep each entry separate so I can more easily remember the composite etymologies.
Image
User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon 15 Aug 2016, 15:15
Location: ܬܩܠܡܟܢܓܝܕܪ

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Void » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:42

I have finally finished writing proper descriptions for all of the nouns (835 in total) in my lexicon. This was so tedious, wow.

And now I've to do 349 verbs and 132 adjectives. yay.
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Tue 21 Nov 2017, 17:46
Void wrote:
Tue 21 Nov 2017, 00:02
1. tooth (hard structure in the mouth)

2. penis (colloquial)
I see what you did there... [;)]
yes i wasn't very proud of that
ܣܐ ܚܘܡ ܐܝ ܩܟܝܙܘܐ ܝܗܟܝܐ ܘܫܫܠ
Solarius
roman
roman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon 30 Aug 2010, 00:23

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Solarius » Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:11

I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Check out Ussaria!
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:44

Solarius wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:11
I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Show us!!! Tuscarora = [<3]
Solarius
roman
roman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon 30 Aug 2010, 00:23

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Solarius » Thu 23 Nov 2017, 14:06

DesEsseintes wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:44
Solarius wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:11
I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Show us!!! Tuscarora = [<3]
Haha sure! I wasn't kidding!

/t t͡s k ʔ θ s h n ɾ l j w/<t ts k ' th s h n r l y w>
/i i: e e: a a: u u:/<i ii e ee a aa u uu>
Check out Ussaria!
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes » Thu 23 Nov 2017, 17:03

Solarius wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 14:06
DesEsseintes wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:44
Solarius wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:11
I made a bit of a minimalistic phonemic inventory which I'm quite pleased with.

Of course, as it turns out it's nigh-identical to Tuscarora. [:$]
Show us!!! Tuscarora = [<3]
Haha sure! I wasn't kidding!

/t t͡s k ʔ θ s h n ɾ l j w/<t ts k ' th s h n r l y w>
/i i: e e: a a: u u:/<i ii e ee a aa u uu>
Nice. Any interesting distributions we should be aware of? In Tuscarora t͡s and θ are allophones of the same phoneme iirc, and of course, having both a rhotic and a lateral sets your lang well apart. I’d be interested to see how you develop this. Phonotactics etc. [:)]
User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3823
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 00:22

In the spirit of Qwed's characters, I have created a pair of my own:

Image
rya(n.) man, person

Image
poyng(n.) finger, toe, digit
Image
User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon 15 Aug 2016, 15:15
Location: ܬܩܠܡܟܢܓܝܕܪ

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Void » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 00:31

I've created a word that I'm rather proud of: vuljar [ˈʋuljɑr]

I don't know why, but I really liked this word, so I gave it some cool meanings:

1. sovereign (entity, usually a person, which is not a subject to a ruler or nation)
2. overlord (entity, usually a person, with overarching power or authority in a given domain)
3. arbiter, judge (person or object having the power of judging and determining, or ordaining, without control)
4. bishop, hierarch, consecrator (official of a place of worship, usually church; supervisor of priests and congregations)
5. hegemon (dominating force or leader)
6. arch-, supreme- (greatest in something; independent; as a compound modifier, usually vulj-)

Basically equivalent to Russian владыка [vlɐˈdɨkə].
ܣܐ ܚܘܡ ܐܝ ܩܟܝܙܘܐ ܝܗܟܝܐ ܘܫܫܠ
Post Reply