Linguistic pet peeves

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Linguistic pet peeves

Post by Reyzadren » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 15:06

Trigger language linguistic terminologies are weird and confusing, especially since most of them contradict with common sense/intuition/terms.

...and this is why I use my own terminologies in my conlang.
Last edited by Reyzadren on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 02:10

The French "language", if it can be called that. It's just a string of uvular trills and nasalized front round vowels:
Average French sentence in IPA: [ʀỹʀø̃ʀỹʀœ̃ỹʀʏ̃ʀœ̃]
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 03:25

Shemtov wrote:
Sun 14 Jan 2018, 02:10
The French "language", if it can be called that. It's just a string of uvular trills and nasalized front round vowels:
Er, I'm not a huge fan of the way French sounds myself, but... standard French doesn't actually have any of those sounds. :wat: (Well, [œ̃] apparently occurs in conservative varieties, but anyway.)
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 03:40

Xonen wrote:
Sun 14 Jan 2018, 03:25
Shemtov wrote:
Er, I'm not a huge fan of the way French sounds myself, but... standard French doesn't actually have any of those sounds. :wat: (Well, [œ̃] apparently occurs in conservative varieties, but anyway.)
Sorry, I just watched a video about Quebec's linguistics policies, and I have OCD, and given that IMHO, Quebec is violating the UDHR and is only being protecting by three of the Big Five- UK because of the commonwealth, USA, because we're neighbors, and France, because they have the same policies, I posted this in a OCD moment over that. It's honestly restrained to what i posted to the YT vid and my PM to a FB friend in Quebec- I suggested that Quebec is planning to imitate the Holocaust, just with Anglophones instead of Jews/Gypsies/LGBTQs etc. and the Canadian Federal Government won't interfere, and that we need to "Nuke Ottawa" to send a warning about "linguistic apartheid"and the phrase "F*** Canada" [:$] . Such is the ranting of an OCD person under the control of the disorder. [:$] [:(]
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 18:34

Shemtov wrote:
Sun 14 Jan 2018, 03:40
Xonen wrote:
Shemtov wrote:
Sorry, I just watched a video about Quebec's linguistics policies, and I have OCD, and given that IMHO, Quebec is violating the UDHR and is only being protecting by three of the Big Five- UK because of the commonwealth, USA, because we're neighbors, and France, because they have the same policies, I posted this in a OCD moment over that. It's honestly restrained to what i posted to the YT vid and my PM to a FB friend in Quebec- I suggested that Quebec is planning to imitate the Holocaust, just with Anglophones instead of Jews/Gypsies/LGBTQs etc. and the Canadian Federal Government won't interfere, and that we need to "Nuke Ottawa" to send a warning about "linguistic apartheid"and the phrase "F*** Canada" [:$] . Such is the ranting of an OCD person under the control of the disorder. [:$] [:(]
I had to read this a couple of times, but... if I'm getting this right, you don't actually mean those things; you're just sharing a compulsive rant you posted elsewhere before calming down enough to think rationally again. At least I'm hoping that's the point here. For future reference, try to make sure your wording is extremely clear in such cases, lest someone get the wrong impression.
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 20:10

Xonen wrote:
Sun 14 Jan 2018, 18:34
Shemtov wrote:
Sun 14 Jan 2018, 03:40
Xonen wrote:
Shemtov wrote:
I had to read this a couple of times, but... if I'm getting this right, you don't actually mean those things; you're just sharing a compulsive rant you posted elsewhere before calming down enough to think rationally again. At least I'm hoping that's the point here. For future reference, try to make sure your wording is extremely clear in such cases, lest someone get the wrong impression.
That's exactly right. My post about French was posted while I was beginning to calm down and thus did not use as strong language.
-JRR Tolkien
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 07:14

One pet peeve of mine is when I get called a "Grammar Nazi". I've never been one to go around correcting other people's grammar, and it bothers me more that an interest in linguistics is reduced to simply being a stickler for grammar. It's true that I have a decent knowledge of grammatical standards, but they're so low on the list of linguistic topics that interest me. On a gaming forum I post on, there's a user who proudly refers to himself as a "Grammar Nazi", and he is intelligent and interesting to talk to, but he doesn't have much interest in linguistics proper, and yet people are always comparing me with him. Just a minor annoynace [xD]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan