False cognates

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Re: False cognates

Post by GrandPiano » Mon 27 Nov 2017, 04:39

Creyeditor wrote:
Sun 26 Nov 2017, 01:46
Mee: dookumita discovered
English: to document
The last part of the Mee word could be considered a false cognate of :jpn: 見た mita "saw".

In fact, the whole word looks very similar to :jpn: 遠く見た tooku mita "saw far away".
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 18:38

I was thinking that something like "he is" would be rendered as он /on/ in :rus: Russian, which means just "he" and implies "is", whereas in :fin: Finnish you could render it as on, which means just "is" and implies "he/she/it" (and is of course unrelated to он). Still, at least in the spoken language, Suomea Suomeksi says that dropping pronouns is not very common, so most people would go with hän on instead.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: [:)] | :rus: :nld: [:|] | :deu: :fin: :ell: [:(] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żǒv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vǒl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żǒven...
Vlürch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Vlürch » Sun 31 Dec 2017, 17:22

Alessio wrote:
Mon 25 Dec 2017, 18:38
I was thinking that something like "he is" would be rendered as он /on/ in :rus: Russian, which means just "he" and implies "is", whereas in :fin: Finnish you could render it as on, which means just "is" and implies "he/she/it" (and is of course unrelated to он). Still, at least in the spoken language, Suomea Suomeksi says that dropping pronouns is not very common, so most people would go with hän on instead.
Dropping first- and second-person pronouns is really common. Dropping third-person pronouns is rarer but does still happen, and it would be understood perfectly as long as the subject of the sentence didn't change. If it did, that could get confusing, although even then people would almost certainly understand since it would be obvious that you're not a native speaker and could piece together that you were an overzealous pronoun-dropper. [:P]

Personally, I feel like the "rule" that third-person pronouns shouldn't be dropped feels more like a guide to kids or learners than an actual grammatical rule or even a descriptive fact. I mean, there are circumstances where it would sound stranger to use the pronoun than it would to drop it. For example, when answering questions. If someone asks "onko Trump Amerikan presidentti?" (is Trump the president of America?), you wouldn't say "hän on" (he is). You'd just say "on" (is). You might say "on hän" (he is (literally "is he")) if the person asking the question was doubtful of Trump being the president of America rather than simply asking a yes-no question or something like that. Informally, of course, you'd use "se" (it) instead of "hän" (he/she).

But yeah, as a general rule, you can drop first- and second- but not third-person pronouns.
Omzinesý
mayan
mayan

Post by Omzinesý » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 01:40

Vlürch wrote:
Sun 31 Dec 2017, 17:22
Alessio wrote:
Mon 25 Dec 2017, 18:38
Dropping first- and second-person pronouns is really common. Dropping third-person pronouns is rarer but does still happen, and it would be understood perfectly as long as the subject of the sentence didn't change. If it did, that could get confusing, although even then people would almost certainly understand since it would be obvious that you're not a native speaker and could piece together that you were an overzealous pronoun-dropper. [:P]

Personally, I feel like the "rule" that third-person pronouns shouldn't be dropped feels more like a guide to kids or learners than an actual grammatical rule or even a descriptive fact. I mean, there are circumstances where it would sound stranger to use the pronoun than it would to drop it. For example, when answering questions. If someone asks "onko Trump Amerikan presidentti?" (is Trump the president of America?), you wouldn't say "hän on" (he is). You'd just say "on" (is). You might say "on hän" (he is (literally "is he")) if the person asking the question was doubtful of Trump being the president of America rather than simply asking a yes-no question or something like that. Informally, of course, you'd use "se" (it) instead of "hän" (he/she).

But yeah, as a general rule, you can drop first- and second- but not third-person pronouns.
I guess that's a normative rule of Standard Finnish, kirjakieli. In spoken language dropping 1st and 2nd person pronouns isn't that usual, even when they are not emphasised. Short pronouns mä sä me te appear quite frequently. On the other hand 3rd person pronouns can be dropped more frequently than in kirjakieli, if the topic is fixed. Nobody has still found put the rules of pronoun usage in spoken Finnish. The arbitrary norms of kirjakieli make the case even trickier when rules are borrowed between registers. The thing is however somehow fixing the discourse topic and maintaining coherence in the text.
Vlürch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Vlürch » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 17:38

Omzinesý wrote:
Mon 01 Jan 2018, 01:40
I guess that's a normative rule of Standard Finnish, kirjakieli. In spoken language dropping 1st and 2nd person pronouns isn't that usual, even when they are not emphasised. Short pronouns mä sä me te appear quite frequently. On the other hand 3rd person pronouns can be dropped more frequently than in kirjakieli, if the topic is fixed. Nobody has still found put the rules of pronoun usage in spoken Finnish. The arbitrary norms of kirjakieli make the case even trickier when rules are borrowed between registers. The thing is however somehow fixing the discourse topic and maintaining coherence in the text.
Well, yeah, but the point should be that since in puhekieli it makes no difference at all whether the first- and second-person pronouns are dropped or not even in the subtle way it does in kirjakieli, it won't hurt anyone to drop them (or not drop them). You're right, though, and I probably should've mentioned that as well. I think the choice of whether a pronoun is dropped happens on a case-by-case basis, the brain somehow deciding which is better in a split second or something...
Parlox
sinic
sinic

Post by Parlox » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 20:31

I've found that my conlang, Lozkazmat, sort of has a false cognate with English.

:con: Lozkazmat, Jeur'[jəɹ] "You".
:eng: English, You, your.
My only conlangs worth mentioning are Lozkazmat, Podmåri, and Delen. Most languages i make i toss out after a week or so, i'm usually working on around 3-7 conlangs.

I'm a native english speaker, though i'm learning Thai, Lozkazmat and German.
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 14:15

Ancient Greek κάρμα 'cream skimmed off' (also 'wool shorn off')
~
Finnish kerma 'cream'
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
Imralu
greek
greek

Post by Imralu » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 01:28

:tan: Swahili simu "telephone", "phone call" is not from SIM but from Persian سیم‏ (sim, "coins", "wire"). In Comorian, a language closely related to Swahili, it means "telegram". In Persian, it's ultimately a borrowing from Ancient Greek and the modern word ασήμι asími "silver" is cognate with it.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 01:48

Imralu wrote:
Mon 08 Jan 2018, 01:28
:tan: Swahili simu "telephone", "phone call" is not from SIM but from Persian سیم‏ (sim, "coins", "wire"). In Comorian, a language closely related to Swahili, it means "telegram". In Persian, it's ultimately a borrowing from Ancient Greek and the modern word ασήμι asími "silver" is cognate with it.
On a similar note, Icelandic sími, for "telephone", comes from an old word for "rope", IIRC, and I don't think it's cognate to the Ancient Greek word.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 13:42

Adding to that, German has Strippe meaning 'chord' for 'telephon'.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]