What have you been reading lately?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
sangi39

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Post by sangi39 » Fri 01 Jun 2018, 22:26

Salmoneus wrote:
Fri 01 Jun 2018, 22:18
sangi39 wrote:
Sat 29 Jul 2017, 21:25
I've been re-reading Sal's reviews in his Disworld Re-Read Project because why the hell not? I love the Discworld novels and Sal's reviews are pretty damn good. I disagree from time to time on specific points, but when it comes to overall "scores" I'm more or less with him on every book [:)]
Why thank you; you're really much too kind!

That project is nearly at an end now, as, having recently read I Shall Wear Midnight, I've only got two more books to get through. Although I might throw in some tie-in works as well. And I guess I could do the Science of Discworld books...

I've recommended the reviews a couple of times on Discworld-related Facebook groups. I don't know how many people have actually read them, but I think they're worth a read.

I've been making my way through the Tiffany Aching books, trying to build up to finally reading The Shepherd's Crown, and I'm about half-way through Wintersmith at the moment. I think after three years of putting it off, I think I need to read his last book.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sat 02 Jun 2018, 04:20

DesEsseintes wrote:
Fri 01 Jun 2018, 05:30
Lao Kou wrote:
Thu 31 May 2018, 10:17
I expect to need to put on my wading boots to make my way through the propagandist muck, but without reading the original, how can you know?
I did read it in the original.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. By "you" I didn't mean you, but "one". I should have written, "How can one know?", or clearer still, "How can I know?"
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sat 02 Jun 2018, 07:18

sangi39 wrote:
Fri 01 Jun 2018, 22:26
Salmoneus wrote:
Fri 01 Jun 2018, 22:18
sangi39 wrote:
Sat 29 Jul 2017, 21:25
I've been re-reading Sal's reviews in his Disworld Re-Read Project because why the hell not? I love the Discworld novels and Sal's reviews are pretty damn good. I disagree from time to time on specific points, but when it comes to overall "scores" I'm more or less with him on every book [:)]
Why thank you; you're really much too kind!

That project is nearly at an end now, as, having recently read I Shall Wear Midnight, I've only got two more books to get through. Although I might throw in some tie-in works as well. And I guess I could do the Science of Discworld books...

I've recommended the reviews a couple of times on Discworld-related Facebook groups. I don't know how many people have actually read them, but I think they're worth a read.

I've been making my way through the Tiffany Aching books, trying to build up to finally reading The Shepherd's Crown, and I'm about half-way through Wintersmith at the moment. I think after three years of putting it off, I think I need to read his last book.
I also read some of them, from time to time.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » Sat 23 Jun 2018, 03:30

I'm up to page 60 in Rosen and Alkire's "The Romance Languages: A Historical Introduction." Interesting book. It's hard to get a good chronology of changes though, nonetheless this book does a good job at explaining the sound shifts. I just wish there was something of a list.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
Clio
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Clio » Sun 24 Jun 2018, 00:10

Ælfwine wrote:
Sat 23 Jun 2018, 03:30
I'm up to page 60 in Rosen and Alkire's "The Romance Languages: A Historical Introduction." Interesting book. It's hard to get a good chronology of changes though, nonetheless this book does a good job at explaining the sound shifts. I just wish there was something of a list.
Do you have From Latin to Romance in Sound Charts by Peter Boyd-Bowman? It's a very slim list of sound laws, and although they're arranged alphabetically, it's much easier to work out chronology from the words in which certain changes must have operated in a particular order.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » Sun 24 Jun 2018, 01:41

Clio wrote:
Sun 24 Jun 2018, 00:10
Ælfwine wrote:
Sat 23 Jun 2018, 03:30
Do you have From Latin to Romance in Sound Charts by Peter Boyd-Bowman? It's a very slim list of sound laws, and although they're arranged alphabetically, it's much easier to work out chronology from the words in which certain changes must have operated in a particular order.
I do, but I was disappointed for similar reasons, like you said that it was listed alphabetically, it's also very narrow in its scope as it doesn't contain Romanian much less various other Romance languages.

To give you a good idea on what I am trying to accomplish, take a look here.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
Omzinesý
mayan
mayan

Post by Omzinesý » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 11:01

Is this thread for discussing what linguistic books I have been reading?

Lately, I have just read Wikipedia on Slavic languages. It seems West Slavonic and South Slavonic are much less like Russian than I have though.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 16:03

Omzinesý wrote:
Wed 29 Aug 2018, 11:01
Is this thread for discussing what linguistic books I have been reading?
For such books and book-like things, and journal articles etc., especially;
but also for any sort of literature, whether fiction or non-fiction, peer-refereed or not, linguistics or not.
That’s my understanding, at least.
SLiV
greek
greek

Post by SLiV » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 20:15

I'm halfway through Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, my mother's favorite author. Maybe it's heightened because I miss her, but I'm surprised by how much I genuinely like it, and by how funny it is. The language used is a treasure as well. Of course there are a bunch of nice formalisms like "he is very agreeable" or "I do not have the pleasure of understanding you", but there are also some mind boggling spellings such as chuse and shew.
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 21:24

Hey, I just finished re-reading that last night! It's good. Like you say, it's extremely funny, and a lot of the humor is exactly my style--very sarcastic. Austen is a master of cloaking criticism in polite language. She's also really good at unreliable narrators and layers of unreliable narrators--you'll have a letter telling secondhand information, being read by a character who is commenting on or summarizing the letter, being commented on or summarized by the narrator, for example. You can just take the surface interpretation, but if you read between the lines, there's so much more going on. (for one notable example, this is the third or fourth time I've read the book, yet this is the first time I realized Charlotte is pregnant by the end of the novel! See if you can spot the line where it's implied...)

I think my favorite archaic spelling in the book is "teazing", which looks like a mashup of "teasing" and "hazing" (but, of course, just means "teasing").

On a different angle, I think a lot of people think they won't like Austen's stuff because it's "romance novels"--but while they certainly use romance, courtship, and marriage as the foundation for the plots, they're a lot more than that. P&P is as much about Elizabeth's life, her relationship with her family, and her growing as a person as it is about her romantic relationships. In many ways, it's more realistic fiction than straight romance.