What have you been reading lately?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Post by alynnidalar » Wed 26 Jul 2017, 20:32

Let's see, what are some recent (new) things for me...

I recently read Declare by Tim Powers. It's a somewhat dark fantasy spy thriller taking place during the Cold War. In brief, a spy during World War II found himself drawn into a mysterious organization dealing with the supernatural. His biggest, most-important mission, fails spectacularly. Twenty years later, he has a chance to give it another shot.

A true summary of the book would mention so many things--but part of the joy of reading this book was when I was about halfway in and still was just starting to uncover what it's all about. If this sounds at all like the kind of thing you're into, I would advise not reading too much about the plot, to preserve the mystery. Definite 5 stars for me.

Aside from that, I confess it's mostly been rereading old stuff, for me. I'm redoing the Witcher books at the moment. It's a weird series. I like 'em, though.

Brief summary for them, if you're unfamiliar: the stories are about Geralt, a witcher (essentially a grumpy professional monster hunter); his off-and-on-again lover, the sorceress Yennefer; and their sort-of adopted daughter Ciri, who might destroy the world someday and everyone wants control of. The books are set in a grim (but still often funny) pseudo-medieval fantasy world of the "everyone is always at war and life really sucks if you're a peasant" variety, with lots of confusing politics. They started off as some short stories about Geralt's travels (complete with pastiches of fairy tales), but the end of the short stories set up the main plot of the novel series, which focuses on the Geralt/Yennefer/Ciri story. They're odd books, and I feel I haven't done them justice at all through this description. One thing I like about them is the mix of a scientific and mystical approach to magic; it's always funny when Geralt gets annoyed by superstitious woo-woo turning out to be true, despite all scientific evidence to the contrary.

(because the original books are in Polish and only got translated later, you may be more familiar with the series title through the videogames, which are set after the novels but came out in English earlier)

I give them... man. I dunno. Three stars, I guess? They're kind of trash. But I absolutely love them. (and I'm not sure how much of the weird writing is a result of translation, and how much is original)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 28 Jul 2017, 00:00

Tolkien's Final Witness;
Headland's Court Life in China;
Wilson's Bayeaux Tapestry;
Belasco & Byrne's Book of Fairy Tales.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Fri 28 Jul 2017, 19:18

La Licorne et le Dragon; Les malentendus dans la recherche de l’universel
(The Unicorn and the Dragon: The misunderstandings in the search for universal)
From a series of seminars between European and Chinese researchers on the cultural misunderstanding between East and West ...
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Sat 29 Jul 2017, 18:24

It's cool to see that so many people here enjoy fantasy--I expected as much from the conworlding community. :)

When I read fiction, I often do read sci/fi or fantasy. Recently I've been reading Orson Scott Card's other novels in the "Ender" series, as well as some of Philip K. Dick's stories.

But I also read a lot of non-fiction. I just finished a book on JFK called An Unfinished Life and still plowing through Sihler's Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin :)
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 29 Jul 2017, 21:25

I've been re-reading Sal's reviews in his Disworld Re-Read Project because why the hell not? I love the Discworld novels and Sal's reviews are pretty damn good. I disagree from time to time on specific points, but when it comes to overall "scores" I'm more or less with him on every book [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sat 05 Aug 2017, 21:42

Finished Tolkien's Final Witness --- pretty good read, actually. And I don't often read courtroom / legal dramas. Also appreciated a few easter egg homages towards his illustrious grandfather's Legendarium!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
lsd
greek
greek

Re: What are you reading? or What have you been reading?

Post by lsd » Sun 20 Aug 2017, 22:59

lsd wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:I just finished Max Barry's novel "Lexicon".
It's really fun for people like us....
Would it be "spammy" for me to say I very much recommend it?
I got it... gotta try it this summer...
finished... good thriller...
a secret "wizards" world hiden to Mr everyone...
the flash back story of the life of a "sorcerer", future evil mass murderer ...
and the parallele quest of one who survived from his killing to intent to stop his rise to power...
with flavor of violence, sex, and of spell language (since Babel)...
A kind of adult Harry Potter novel (even with "hogwarts" school...) in a spy mode...

I read also Snow crash this summer holydays with a similar back ground: where spells are informatics virus... a long-timer secret fight since Babel and Sumer for and against diversity of languages... baroque cyberpunk world with premonitions of increased parallele world of the web... craze and fun...
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 21 Aug 2017, 14:58

I liked Snow Crash too.
(Turns out I like most of that author's works!)
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Fri 01 Sep 2017, 16:33

Did you read the baroque cycle ?
Can I have your advice...
I retreated before the size of the work (and its lack of translation in my L1 ...)
Is the effort well worth it...
Usually I avoid like the plague the saga that does not end... As I prefer the movies to the endless TV series...