Number of unstressed vowels

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Squall
greek
greek

Number of unstressed vowels

Post by Squall » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 05:46

I want to make a language with a plausible number of vowels and rules.

In natlangs, is the number of unstressed vowels usually smaller than the number of stressed vowels?

In some languages, some vowels occur only in unstressed syllables /ə/ and other vowels are always stressed.

I have noticed some patterns:
If the language has many vowels, it is likely to be stress-timed and distinguish few unstressed syllables.
Spanish has few vowels (/a e i o u/) and it is syllable-timed, all vowels can be stressed or unstressed.
Italian has two more vowels (/a e ɛ o ɔ i u/) and the pairs /e ɛ/ and /o ɔ/ are not distinguished in unstressed syllables.

Another thing to regard is the perception of the vowel when it becomes stressed or unstressed (stressed /ə/ may be perceived as /ɜ/ in English).
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Number of unstressed vowels

Post by Creyeditor » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:54

Squall wrote:I want to make a language with a plausible number of vowels and rules.
What exactly do you mean by rules?
Squall wrote:In natlangs, is the number of unstressed vowels usually smaller than the number of stressed vowels?
Yes, some people even argue that this is one of the defining properties of stress.
Squall wrote:In some languages, some vowels occur only in unstressed syllables /ə/ and other vowels are always stressed
This is often called vowel reduction.
Squall wrote:I have noticed some patterns:
If the language has many vowels, it is likely to be stress-timed and distinguish few unstressed syllables.
Spanish has few vowels (/a e i o u/) and it is syllable-timed, all vowels can be stressed or unstressed.
Italian has two more vowels (/a e ɛ o ɔ i u/) and the pairs /e ɛ/ and /o ɔ/ are not distinguished in unstressed syllables.
Unfortunately I do not know enough about stress-timed and syllable-timed languages to notice the pattern here, I guess [:S]
Squall wrote:Another thing to regard is the perception of the vowel when it becomes stressed or unstressed (stressed /ə/ may be perceived as /ɜ/ in English).
That's true, Germans usually hear a stressed schwa as an /ø/ or /œ/.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:24

Creyeditor wrote:That's true, Germans usually hear a stressed schwa as an /ø/ or /œ/.
As do the Géarthçins. [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:51

Squall wrote:stressed /ə/ may be perceived as /ɜ/ in English
Actually here in the UK stressed /ə/ is pronounced /ʌ/
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 16:40

Yeah, unstressed /ə/ and stressed /ʌ/ have always sounded the same to me, at least in English.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 19:42

GrandPiano wrote:Yeah, unstressed /ə/ and stressed /ʌ/ have always sounded the same to me, at least in English.
There is an article that says that many dialects do not distinguish /ʌ ɜ ə/. The difference is that /ə/ is always unstressed and /ɜ/ is always followed with /ɹ/.
Rules that answer questions like: If a language has 9 vowels, can it have long words? Can it be syllable-timed? Can it have the same 9 vowels distinguished in unstressed syllables?
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 20:57

And you want language with a reasonable number of rules, that state general implicational relations between different features of languages? I'm lost [:|]

If you just wanted answers to this questions, I would answer yes to the first and the third. I don't know enough about syllable timing to answer the second.
1:
Chickasaw has nine vowels phonemes and relatively long words.
Luo has nine vowel phonemes and moderatly long words, from what I can judge.
3: I am relatively sure, that in Luo there is no distinction in stressed vs. unstressed vowel qualities.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Sun 17 Jul 2016, 04:02

you can have only one unstressed vowel /ə/, a system of two unstressed vowels /a ə/ or /a i/ or /ə i/, or a system of three unstressed vowel /a i u/, if you have /a e i o u/ as your full vowels.

another choice is not to have any unstressed vowel
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
HoskhMatriarch
mayan
mayan

Post by HoskhMatriarch » Sun 07 Aug 2016, 04:15

Squall wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:
Rules that answer questions like: If a language has 9 vowels, can it have long words? Can it be syllable-timed? Can it have the same 9 vowels distinguished in unstressed syllables?
Well, I don't think "syllable-timed" is a thing, but I do think it can have prosody more like Spanish and Turkish than English and German. In fact, I'm pretty sure Turkish has more than 9 vowels, has very, very long words (both in roots and derived words) and has the same more than 9 vowels distinguished in stressed and unstressed syllables. Germanic languages and ones that have gone through similar sound changes are not the only ones with lots of vowels, they're just one distinct type of language with lots of vowels (I also heard that some Germanic languages are "syllable-timed" as well, like Icelandic, but it seems like it has a bit more stress than Spanish or Turkish, even if it's less than most other Germanic languages).
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Tue 09 Aug 2016, 07:05

HoskhMatriarch wrote: Well, I don't think "syllable-timed" is a thing, but I do think it can have prosody more like Spanish and Turkish than English and German. In fact, I'm pretty sure Turkish has more than 9 vowels, has very, very long words (both in roots and derived words) and has the same more than 9 vowels distinguished in stressed and unstressed syllables. Germanic languages and ones that have gone through similar sound changes are not the only ones with lots of vowels, they're just one distinct type of language with lots of vowels (I also heard that some Germanic languages are "syllable-timed" as well, like Icelandic, but it seems like it has a bit more stress than Spanish or Turkish, even if it's less than most other Germanic languages).
I thought Turkish had only eight vowels.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 56,789 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Imralu
greek
greek

Post by Imralu » Wed 10 Aug 2016, 06:24

Squall wrote:There is an article that says that many dialects do not distinguish /ʌ ɜ ə/. The difference is that /ə/ is always unstressed and /ɜ/ is always followed with /ɹ/.
Not in non-rhotic dialects, unless you want to analyse it as an underlying, unpronounced phoneme ... which only makes sense diachronically or in comparison with other dialects.
Khemehekis wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:In fact, I'm pretty sure Turkish has more than 9 vowels, has very, very long words (both in roots and derived words) and has the same more than 9 vowels distinguished in stressed and unstressed syllables.
I thought Turkish had only eight vowels.
Yep.

Code: Select all

<i ü   ı u
 e ö   a o>

/i y   ɯ u
 e ø   a o/
There are also long vowels in loanwords ... I think only /aː iː uː/ but I can't think of any words with /uː/. Turkish also has vowel harmony, with harmonic syllables basically distinguishing two vowels, one /i~y~ɯ~u/ and another /e~a/, but because these occur in suffixes and Turkish stress is often word final, /o/ and /ø/ are probably actually slightly more likely to be present in unstressed syllables than stressed.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano » Tue 16 Aug 2016, 03:03

Imralu wrote:There are also long vowels in loanwords ... I think only /aː iː uː/ but I can't think of any words with /uː/.
Don't long vowels also occur in native words?
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Imralu
greek
greek

Post by Imralu » Tue 16 Aug 2016, 10:01

GrandPiano wrote:Don't long vowels also occur in native words?
Ah, yeah, but always spelt with a following ğ, which used to be a consonant and is now more or less the only way to do vowel hiatus within a native morpheme, and it often gets a semivowel pronunciation when between vowels. In any case, I think this is often analysed as a morpheme in its own right (transcribed /ɰ/ or /ɣ/) which saves positing a long vowel phoneme for every vowel and allowing vowel hiatus in native words only vowels which would be long if there weren't another vowel following *inhales* ... so, yeah ...
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » Tue 16 Aug 2016, 14:34

Just to clear up, you mean phoneme, not morpheme, right?
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Imralu
greek
greek

Post by Imralu » Thu 18 Aug 2016, 02:21

Yep. Oops.
________
MY MUSIC
zest
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by zest » Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:25

Central Catalan:
7 stressed: /a ɛ e i ɔ o u/
3 unstressed: /ə i u/

Western Catalan:
7 stressed: /a ɛ e i ɔ o u/
5 unstressed: /a e i o u/

Balearic Catalan:
8 stressed: /a ɛ e i ɔ o u ə/
4 unstressed: /ə i o u/
Tutos les seres humanos nascen libres e eguales en dignitá e en dereitos. Son dotados de rasón e de conscienza e deven agir les unes verso les autros en espírito de fraternitá.