IPA Examples Not Enough Anymore.

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Isfendil
greek
greek

IPA Examples Not Enough Anymore.

Post by Isfendil » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 23:57

Alright, the yorku IPA website (and most other websites that offer listening portions for phonemes) just aren't enough anymore. These demonstrations are monosyllabic and often employ a pattern that just uses the most standard, easy to produce non-schwa vowel that they can muster. Is there anywhere on the internet where we can listen to words or phrases that use specific phonemes? Any website or series of websites that collect them together? A doc full of youtube links? I'm just really tired of not knowing what to aim for whenever I have to produce a back consonant with a front vowel, or what a lateral fricative should sound like, or bloody liquid initial/medial consonant clusters.

Is there anyone who can help?
GrandPiano
runic
runic

Re: IPA Examples Not Enough Anymore.

Post by GrandPiano » Tue 18 Oct 2016, 00:46

You could find words in other languages that have the phoneme or phoneme sequence you're looking for and use websites like Forvo to find recordings of the words.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil » Tue 18 Oct 2016, 01:08

GrandPiano wrote:You could find words in other languages that have the phoneme or phoneme sequence you're looking for and use websites like Forvo to find recordings of the words.
Thank you, this is good. Is there no way to look something up by phoneme directly?
chridd
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by chridd » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 20:07

If you look at the Wikipedia pages for specific phonemes, there's usually a list of languages that have the phoneme, and often some of those have audio samples.
~ chri d. d. /ʧɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · My conlangs · Searchable Index Diachronica