What language could this person speak?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

What language could this person speak?

Post by OTʜᴇB » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 19:01

So I came across a person on reddit asking about learning Java (on a completely irrelevant sub). This was the post's title and contents:
How you to learn Java?
How u have start. To. Learn Java and someone know good sites which introduce in programming ?
This person clearly does not know English natively (unless they're very young, but then why are they asking reddit about learning Java?), but what language could they be trying to translate from? I'll probably ask them at some point, but I thought it might make for a fun little game to try and guess the language.

Any ideas?
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What language could this person speak?

Post by Creyeditor » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 20:59

So their native language seems to have a periphrastic construction for 'to begin' which looks like 'have a start at something'. I know of no such language, but their probably are some. Embedding seems to work differently, but we cannot really be sure. There is also no inversion in questions, but that's the default crosslinguistically. The preposition introducing the object of introduce seems to be 'in' instead of 'to'. This is the case for German (einführen in etwas) and probably some other languages as well.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 17:37

French is possible...
How u have start. To. Learn Java and someone know good sites which introduce in programming ?
Comment vous avez commencé à apprendre Java et qui connait (de) bons sites qui introduisent à (la) programmation...
(sometimes my English is so torrid...)
Iyionaku
roman
roman

Post by Iyionaku » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 11:46

lsd wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 17:37
French is possible...
Comment vous avez commencé à apprendre Java et qui connait (de) bons sites qui introduisent à (la) programmation...
I doubt it's French because the concept of past participles is shared by both English and French, hence "have start" is not a mistake French people would do, I assume.
My first guess was Indonesian (mainly for the lack of inflection), but as Crey already comments and knows much about it (afaik), he would have come up with it beforehand.
Heaven and Earth, but I feel the color of the cake when you keep the Victoria.
I had a mantra on the moss and I had to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 19:24

Iyionaku wrote:
Wed 06 Dec 2017, 11:46
My first guess was Indonesian (mainly for the lack of inflection), but as Crey already comments and knows much about it (afaik), he would have come up with it beforehand.
I don't really know how you would ask that question in Indonesian, but nothing rings a bell. The (over)use of 'to' and the complete absence of relative pronouns (you would probably use 'yang' several times in that sentence) might be a counterargument.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Serafín
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Serafín » Fri 08 Dec 2017, 06:43

Iyionaku wrote:
lsd wrote:
French is possible...
I doubt it's French because the concept of past participles is shared by both English and French, hence "have start" is not a mistake French people would do, I assume.
Counter-argument: the space between the last word and the question mark. In French, punctuation marks which consist of two components must be preceded by a space:
  • Tu t'appelles comment ?
    Je m'appelle Rachel !
    Il n'y reste qu'une question : pourquoi est-ce qu'il n'a pas utilisé l'article défini avant le mot « programmation » ?
I don't know why they didn't write "in the programming" though.
Iyionaku
roman
roman

Post by Iyionaku » Fri 08 Dec 2017, 07:46

Serafín wrote:
Fri 08 Dec 2017, 06:43
Iyionaku wrote:
lsd wrote:
French is possible...
Counter-argument: the space between the last word and the question mark. In French, punctuation marks which consist of two components must be preceded by a space:
  • Tu t'appelles comment ?
    Je m'appelle Rachel !
    Il n'y reste qu'une question : pourquoi est-ce qu'il n'a pas utilisé l'article défini avant le mot « programmation » ?
I don't know why they didn't write "in the programming" though.
Huh. I learn French for five years without ever hearing from it. Quick google search turned your absolutely right, though. What do we pay school taxes for?
Heaven and Earth, but I feel the color of the cake when you keep the Victoria.
I had a mantra on the moss and I had to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!
OliveAnne
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by OliveAnne » Fri 08 Dec 2017, 16:27

I think he's talking about JavaScript? the language of web development (of course it's irrelevant here...)
Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us - Jonathan Safran Foer [tick]
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil » Fri 08 Dec 2017, 16:33

Actually this kinda looks like Farsi to me. Mainly because the preposition [be] has both locative and dative meanings, and it is very easy to make the sentence grammatical without changing word order or anything in Farsi.

ʧeʤur (mitɒn-i) ʃuru dɒʃte.bɒʃ-i be yɒd.gereftan e ʤɒvɒ va kasi sɒjt-hɒ e xub midɒn-e ke marfi.mikone be <programming>
how (IPF-can-2S) start have-2S DAT learn-GER CNS java C IDF.PRON site-PL CNS good know-3S REL introduce-3S LOC <programming>