Today I learned ...

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Today I learned ...

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 12 Jun 2018, 23:54

Today I learned that the feminine given name “Netra” means “leader” or “guide” or “eye” in Smskrta.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Re: Today I learned ...

Post by Lao Kou » Fri 15 Jun 2018, 12:48

One can always make the actual dessert, pêche Melba, which would be, of course, peshmelbalats.

But it appears that on Géarthtörs, peshmelbs is almost a state of mind. At its essence, it's an ice cream flavor, with tiers of ice cream flavor ((maybe) artificial) peach-vanilla-raspberry, like harlequin, or some sort of mélange of flavored ice cream with chunks of peach and raspberries therein. Purists decry it. Nevertheless, the term is a selling magnet. There is peshmelbs ice cream (an ultra cheap dessert would be scooping this onto cookies or microwaved cake), peshmelbs yoghurt, peshmelbs creamsicles, peshmelbs cream candies, peshmelbs milkshakes. and good Lord, peshmelbs bubble tea.

I learned this today.

There may be some paint color called peshmelbs, I shudder to think.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Fri 15 Jun 2018, 17:54

Lao Kou wrote:
Fri 15 Jun 2018, 12:48
One can always make the actual dessert, pêche Melba, which would be, of course, peshmelbalats.

But it appears that on Géarthtörs, peshmelbs is almost a state of mind. At its essence, it's an ice cream flavor, with tiers of ice cream flavor ((maybe) artificial) peach-vanilla-raspberry, like harlequin, or some sort of mélange of flavored ice cream with chunks of peach and raspberries therein. Purists decry it. Nevertheless, the term is a selling magnet. There is peshmelbs ice cream (an ultra cheap dessert would be scooping this onto cookies or microwaved cake), peshmelbs yoghurt, peshmelbs creamsicles, peshmelbs cream candies, peshmelbs milkshakes. and good Lord, peshmelbs bubble tea.

I learned this today.

That sounds good. Did you learn why peshmelbs has so insinuated itself into the Géarthtörs zeitgeist?

I'm not imaginative enough to think of a single paint color that unites peaches and raspberries, but peshmelbs strikes me as inspiration for a delectable lazure wall treatment.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Fri 15 Jun 2018, 21:32

Dormouse559 wrote:
Fri 15 Jun 2018, 17:54
Lao Kou wrote:
Fri 15 Jun 2018, 12:48

That sounds good. Did you learn why peshmelbs has so insinuated itself into the Géarthtörs zeitgeist?
I wouldn't call it Zeitgeist, like 70s avocado kitchenware, cause it's here to stay. Perhaps, like "celadon", the term just caught on. Why is harlequin "harlequin"? Or spumoni? ) (Or Florida in coral and tourquoise?) I should've mentioned, as a cheap dessert tartin' it up to be "elegant", lady fingers would be involved.

But let's face it, a peshmelbs ice cream cone dipped in (intercede New England English: you may call 'em "sprinkles" (please!), but we rightly call them "jimmies", and they're chocolate) jimmies would be a pleasant summer treat.
Dormouse559 wrote:
Fri 15 Jun 2018, 17:54
I'm not imaginative enough to think of a single paint color that unites peaches and raspberries, but peshmelbs strikes me as inspiration for a delectable lazure wall treatment.
Frankly, I imagined something a paint-color-namer might have called it "orange sorbet" (with a soupçon of yellow but not all the way to "canteloupe" -- toward red, "watermelon"), but the "lazure" (see, I learned something) treatment may be the way to work this.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Wed 27 Jun 2018, 22:51

Today I learned I might be demisapiosexual.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 23:09

Today I learned that AEGIS is an acronym for
Artificially Expanded Genetic Information System.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 03:19

eldin raigmore wrote:
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 23:09
Today I learned that AEGIS is an acronym for
Artificially Expanded Genetic Information System.
I think it's a backronym, bc aegis is the shield of Zeus and Athena in Greek mythology (it has Medusa's head on the opposite side!)
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 14:53

Thanks!
I was aware that Aegis was the name of Athena’s shield, but I had forgotten the term “backronym”.

I’m not sure “backronym” fits in this case.
Isn’t a “backronym” something like claiming “FORD” stands for “Fix Or Repair Daily”?

Anyway, to be sure whether or not AEGIS is a backronym, we’d need to consult the word-coiners.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Thu 02 Aug 2018, 09:21

They're nearly the same thing, i.e. a preexisting word that gets turned into an acronym later on. The difference between these two is that the Ford acronym describes Ford itself, while the AEGIS acronym does not actually describe Zeus's shield. Not sure which counts as an actual backronym.

Then there are ones like Kiss ← Knights in Satan's Service, where the backronym is erroneously claimed by some to be the actual etymology.