A man walks into a bar

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Re: A man walks into a bar

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 19:48

"A stupid man walks into a bar"
or
"A man stupidly walks into a bar"
or
"A man walks into a stupid bar"
Parlox
sinic
sinic
Location: North-East Favorc shoreline, Suot village, the Saon.

Post by Parlox » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 20:25

Meskosi Saítin has no word for alcohol, the speakers call it a "stupid drink" because it causes people to act stupidly. "Stupid drink place" is used to describe a place where "stupid drinks" are sold, a bar.
Conlangs: Podmåri, Psıhı Mìnungusıqa, Mekhẹ Nâ Tsa Bunawàlǒǒ, Gwynwth, Tänggorosepero, La Patagonê,
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 20:29

I hadn't thought of this [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Iyionaku
roman
roman

Post by Iyionaku » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 20:47

Parlox wrote:
Tue 05 Dec 2017, 20:25
Meskosi Saítin has no word for alcohol, the speakers call it a "stupid drink" because it causes people to act stupidly. "Stupid drink place" is used to describe a place where "stupid drinks" are sold, a bar.
How would they say "a stupid bar", then? [Because there are certainly very, very stupid bars]
Nílí nílí umkonauí ek?

By the way, I always love to see crazy etmologies for "normal" terms whereupon you would have never thought - but I just can't really see people talking like that.

"Hey, over there seems to be a lovely stupid drink place!"
"Good evening guys, what would you like?"
"Could you just bring us eight glasses of stupid drinks?"
"Red berry stupid drink or barley stupid drink?"
"Barley, please"

...aaaand you have a new, shorter term for "Beer" that people most likely will prefer over time, at least in colloquial speech. Then you can easily go to "Barley ek". (Don't see this as a critizism, I love the soun of nílí umkonauí ek - but I'd propably not use it if I spoke Meskosi Saítin)
Heaven and Earth, but I feel the color of the cake when you keep the Victoria.
I had a mantra on the moss and I had to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!
Parlox
sinic
sinic
Location: North-East Favorc shoreline, Suot village, the Saon.

Post by Parlox » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 21:06

Iyionaku wrote:
Tue 05 Dec 2017, 20:47
Parlox wrote:
Tue 05 Dec 2017, 20:25
How would they say "a stupid bar", then? [Because there are certainly very, very stupid bars]
Nílí nílí umkonauí ek?

By the way, I always love to see crazy etmologies for "normal" terms whereupon you would have never thought - but I just can't really see people talking like that.

"Hey, over there seems to be a lovely stupid drink place!"
"Good evening guys, what would you like?"
"Could you just bring us eight glasses of stupid drinks?"
"Red berry stupid drink or barley stupid drink?"
"Barley, please"

...aaaand you have a new, shorter term for "Beer" that people most likely will prefer over time, at least in colloquial speech. Then you can easily go to "Barley ek". (Don't see this as a critizism, I love the soun of nílí umkonauí ek - but I'd propably not use it if I spoke Meskosi Saítin)
Most somewhat complicated terms are rather lengthy in Meskosi Saítin, and most of the speakers don't drink alcohol anyways. When they do they usually drink banana wine bought directly from a brewery, they don't have the concept of a bar.

And the speakers prefer to say "banana stupid drink" over "banana drink" because they do drink banana juices, and this could cause some confusion.
Conlangs: Podmåri, Psıhı Mìnungusıqa, Mekhẹ Nâ Tsa Bunawàlǒǒ, Gwynwth, Tänggorosepero, La Patagonê,