What's the difference between a prayer and a spell?

Discussions regarding actual culture and history of Earth.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Re: What's the difference between a prayer and a spell?

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 29 Nov 2017, 23:23

eldin raigmore wrote:
Sat 01 Jul 2017, 03:57
A prayer is something you say to a god you believe in, while you call things heathens do, spells.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 30 Nov 2017, 01:27

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Wed 29 Nov 2017, 23:23
eldin raigmore wrote:
Sat 01 Jul 2017, 03:57
A prayer is something you say to a god you believe in, while you call things heathens do, spells.
That's what I meant, but you said it better than me.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » Thu 30 Nov 2017, 04:14

From what I understand of Greco-Roman mythology, at least, there was a distinction.

Prayers (and by extension, divine magic) was to the gods, and fulfilled by the gods. Religio Romana had a pretty heavy codified form of this: "do ut des" ("I give so that you give"), where you would basically perform an exchange with a divine being. This was Good.

Arcane magic (that is, witchcraft and the like), however, was yourself taking advantage and controlling the universe through your own power. This of course presumes a more mystical world than we know it to be. My understanding is that often these spells were more often curses or other things like that, which is why this was Evil. (See: Circe; though also, see Hecate, so it's a little more complicated than that...)

This is my understanding, at least, and I actually stumbled upon it while trying to trace back why D&D makes a differentiation between Divine Magic and Arcane Magic.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
OliveAnne
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by OliveAnne » Fri 01 Dec 2017, 12:29

eldin raigmore wrote:
Wed 29 Nov 2017, 18:48
OliveAnne wrote:
Mon 27 Nov 2017, 09:14
A spell is made by a witch or wizard and has immediately impact on the object/human that is cursed.
A prayer can be made by anyone to any God, it could never happen to be true, there is no impact at all.
Is it correct?
In fantasies, both prayers and spells can have an impact.
In real life, neither prayers nor spells ever have any impact.
Spoiler:
I'm still not able to clearly articulate a relevant difference between them, in fantasy.
I'm still not able to discern any clear difference between them in real-life either; except my religion prays,
while every other "religion" (if we can dignify those superstitions by that term) "casts spells".
In other words: It's all fantasy, it's just that if I happen to believe one of those fantasies, that makes it a prayer.
"Spell" is a pejorative term that applies to prayers by followers of any religion not my own.
Sorry if this breaks the "no cross no crown no green star" rule.
Edit: Sorry about this. I was in a mood. I had offered to donate blood for a friend's hospitalized sister and was told to pray instead.
I'm sorry to hear, I hope your pray for your friend has impact, even this is the real world...
Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us - Jonathan Safran Foer [tick]