Veggies vs Fruits

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Veggies vs Fruits

Post by masako » Sun 21 Jan 2018, 19:18

How do you distinguish, if at all, fruits and vegetables in your conlang?

I've been thinking instead of dividing them by flavor or typical meal accompaniment, dividing them simply by whether they grow on a tree, a vine, above, and then below ground, so 4 total categories...

Your thoughts?
LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Veggies vs Fruits

Post by LinguistCat » Sun 21 Jan 2018, 20:34

I haven't thought much about this yet, but I'm going to need to, along with how color terms will be handled by my cat spirits. Kaibyou are primarily carnivorous, but in order to blend in more with humans, do have a diet that includes some fruits, vegetables and grains (almost exclusively rice). Kaibyou also don't taste sweet strongly or at all, and prefer savory and sour flavors. Fruit in a culinary sense tend to be sweet, soft plant products while vegetables are savory, bitter or plain and tend to come from the roots stems or flowers. Tomatoes get classed as veggies instead of fruit in the kitchen due to the fact they aren't sweet (or not very), though I suppose a counter point is lemons which are sour but still seen as "obviously fruit" by most people.

Cats would likely contrast sour vs savory with other flavors being secondary to their classification and use.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 22 Jan 2018, 00:36

hard or soft?
Texture: woody/starchy/pulpy/grainy/stringy (fibrous) ?
Flavor: umami, sweet, bitter, sour, salty, insipid?
Pollination: Self-pollinating, cross-pollinating?
Ovary -v- structure other than ovary?

How specific you planning on getting here?

I can count on one hand 'false' fruits that come to mind: pineapple, rhubarb, strawberry, and I think figs. I don't know if that bears on your query.

:wat: :?:
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Mon 22 Jan 2018, 00:37

As griuskant is a conworld language, fruits and vegetables themselves are not the same things as found irl. Hence, the terms/categorisation "fruits" and "vegetables" are probably different too, whether magically or conscientifically.

Seeds could be of one of those characteristics.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang