The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 06:53

Dormouse559 wrote:
Fri 02 Feb 2018, 17:34
All hail the Great Rodent Oracle of Umbral News Delineating Hiems' Oncoming Goodbye!
Let's hear it for Marmotine Sciamancy!
[:P]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 14:53

Lambuzhao wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 06:53
Dormouse559 wrote:
All hail the Great Rodent Oracle of Umbral News Delineating Hiems' Oncoming Goodbye!
Or at least Marmitine Sciamancy. . .
Spoiler:
Tastier, anyway!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 15:47

I hath fallen in love with throat/overtone singing.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 19:00

Ahzoh wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 15:47
Wow!

Are you trying to do it, or are you in the amazed observer camp?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 19:04

Good, because throat singing is fantastic, I sometimes do it myself to calm myself.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 21:27

elemtilas wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 19:00
Ahzoh wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 15:47
Wow!

Are you trying to do it, or are you in the amazed observer camp?
Pff, no, I can never do it, so amazed observer camp I am.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 23:09

Lambuzhao wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 06:53
Dormouse559 wrote:
Thank goodness. I was worried no one would appreciate Punxsutawney Phil's full title.

After all, us rodents gotta stick together.

elemtilas wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 14:53
Spoiler:
/
Tastier, anyway!
Is it? I haven't tried this brand of divine invocation.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 01:05

Dormouse559 wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 23:09
elemtilas wrote:
Mon 05 Feb 2018, 14:53
Spoiler:
/
Tastier, anyway!
Is it? I haven't tried this brand of divine invocation.
Well, I'll take Marmite spread over spread marmote any day of the week. Except Thursdays. That's Deep Fried Marmote Day, and no one, I say, I say, no one misses Deep Fried Marmote Day!

Seriously, Marmite is one of those quaint foods, so quintessentially British, so horrific is it's taste it's actually kind of quite good. I actually survived two slices of toasted bread spread with the stuff, for which I was knighted for going (well) above and beyond the call of duty on behalf of British culture.

Lest I lead thee further down the garden path, Marmite is actually the deepest soul of umami. Umami personified. Umami deified.

I've got some recipes I want to try it in. In small quantities and mixed with other foods, it's actually quite safe to handle and even consume.

Hmmm...marmite basted roasted marmote anyone? Hmm???

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 01:40

Oh… no…
[:'(]

Well… I did have roasted cuy on a spit in :per: . Little bits of meat; lots of bone, not unlike hot wings.

I hear The Sacred Sciamancer has flesh akin in flavor to rabbit or lamb… tasty but [:(]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 01:41

I think if you mix rust powder, aluminum shavings, and Woodchucks crottles, you get some good bomb-grade Marmite.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 02:13

I don't know where to put this. It's spoilery about Marvel Infinity War. I'm psyched b/c Thor may be getting a replacement weapon with deep deep PIE roots
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Seems Thor may be getting Jarnbjorn, an enchanted axe of Dwarven artifice. The PIE connexion comes from the doppelgänger of Thor in Slavic & Baltic mythos, Perun / Perkunas. He sometimes is depicted with a hammer, but more often he uses an axe. W00T!

BTW wigging out with retrofitting alt cognates for Jarnbjorn, from PIE *h₁esh₂enó+*ǵʰwér- : Old :lat: *assaraferus ; :grc: *ἔᾰροθήρ ; Tocharian A *ysār- śaru ; Tocharian B *yasar-śerwe.

Or maybe *ferassyr, *θήρἔᾰρ ‽‽‽‽ Oh my oh my!!!! [:D]

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 02:23

Reading about Tocharian, and learning about, and learning to love Dvandva.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvandva

:wat: [;)]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 03:27

Lambuzhao wrote:
Tue 06 Feb 2018, 02:13
I don't know where to put this. It's spoilery about Marvel Infinity War. I'm psyched b/c Thor may be getting a replacement weapon with deep deep PIE roots
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Seems Thor may be getting Jarnbjorn, an enchanted axe of Dwarven artifice. The PIE connexion comes from the doppelgänger of Thor in Slavic & Baltic mythos, Perun / Perkunas. He sometimes is depicted with a hammer, but more often he uses an axe. W00T!

BTW wigging out with retrofitting alt cognates for Jarnbjorn, from PIE *h₁esh₂enó+*ǵʰwér- : Old :lat: *assaraferus ; :grc: *ἔᾰροθήρ ; Tocharian A *ysār- śaru ; Tocharian B *yasar-śerwe.

Or maybe *ferassyr, *θήρἔᾰρ ‽‽‽‽ Oh my oh my!!!! [:D]

Perhaps even hyásawârctas?

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 21:41

Why the heck not?

Love that iron/blood interplay dancing on the blade of the ProtoGer root… :wat: wait…a…moment :wat:
hyásawârctas
[O.O]

Is that Tenxwwar Haryuça?? Talarian???

Bless your [<3] !

:mrgreen:
Dezinaa
roman
roman

Post by Dezinaa » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 08:20

I'm thinking about switching my major to Linguistics. I'm currently in my 2nd year of graphic design, and it's not what I hoped it would be. Changing my major to Linguistics would mean changing my school, too. Is anyone here a linguist? What do you do exactly?
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 11:50

Do you mean in terms of work or are you asking how to change subject?

If you're asking about the kinds of subject you'll do, it really varies depending on the uni. For example Cambridge is quite strongly theory-heavy (and Generativist theory at that), while other universities are more concerned with the empirical/practical sides like psycholinguistics and phonetics. However you should definitely get a broad education in linguistics regardless of where you are, but if you want you could tell me where you're at and I'll have a look on their website and try and work it out for you.
Dezinaa
roman
roman

Post by Dezinaa » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 20:38

Frislander wrote:
Sat 10 Feb 2018, 11:50
Do you mean in terms of work or are you asking how to change subject?

If you're asking about the kinds of subject you'll do, it really varies depending on the uni. For example Cambridge is quite strongly theory-heavy (and Generativist theory at that), while other universities are more concerned with the empirical/practical sides like psycholinguistics and phonetics. However you should definitely get a broad education in linguistics regardless of where you are, but if you want you could tell me where you're at and I'll have a look on their website and try and work it out for you.
Thanks, but I don't want to make you do my work for me. I'm really just looking for people's personal experiences being a linguistics major or a linguist. I know there are lots of different areas of study, though. I'm particularly interested in computational linguistics, research (like historical linguistics), and field work (documenting endangered languages).
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 20:14

I find it frustrating how I can't come up with good language names that could plausibly mean something. The names are either too compressed to be anything but a single morpheme or too clunky/large and its constituent elements too readily apparent.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 21:42

It's Fat Tuesday! I bought a couple boxes of paczki for the office and we greatly enjoyed them. The surprise favorite filling was apple (I didn't think anybody would like those, but everyone did!); I did not get any prune. I don't care if it's traditional, nobody likes it.

Actually, the place where I got them has quite a lot of flavors: apple, apricot, blueberry, cherry, chocolate, chocolate whip, vanilla, lemon, Bavarian cream, raspberry, strawberry, prune, and ricotta, of all things. (I didn't get any ricotta because they cost more, but I'm told they're actually really good. I'm skeptical, though.) I'd love to try rose, which I understand is also traditional, but nobody around here seems to sell it.
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:19

And today is Ash Wednesday, and what's more the first time I have had an imposition of ashes on my forehead. Now to see if it'll stay there all day (probably).