Search found 2632 matches

by Dormouse559
15 Jan 2019 21:44
Forum: Conworlds & Concultures
Topic: Symbols of Concultures
Replies: 209
Views: 53727

Re: Symbols of Concultures

This is the flag of Essu Beti, currently spoilered because I’m not sure how to resize it in-forum: There isn't a way. [:(] The spoiler tags are entirely appropriate. The 10-pointed 12-pointed star (which I need a better name for) Perhaps Latin dextans "ten twelfths" or a nonce derivative is what yo...
by Dormouse559
13 Jan 2019 04:44
Forum: Translations
Topic: The gods didn't create us....
Replies: 12
Views: 179

Re: The gods didn't create us....

:con: Silvish Li ddyes nou-z an pas creyê. I nnou ll' ant revlé leû mimmou. L' ett in plu vvyê possoù, in souflou de viya misteryeu, qu' î nou-z a tû creyê. [liˈdjɛs nu.zɑ̃ˈpɑs kʁəˈjɛː | ʔɛ̃n.nul.lɑ̃n.tʁəˈvle ˈlœː ˈmɛ̃m.mu | lɛt.tɛ̃m.plyv.vjɛː.pɔˈsu | ʔɛ̃ˈsu.flu dəˈvi.jə mi.stɛˈjø | kiː.nu.zəˈtyː kʁ...
by Dormouse559
13 Jan 2019 02:24
Forum: Translations
Topic: You'll own the world.
Replies: 23
Views: 2023

Re: You'll own the world.

Jackk wrote:
12 Jan 2019 23:20
Nice! [:D] Part ofnme is crying at ettrà
It kind of had to happen because the usual ser- stem gets worn down to just s- with my sound changes.

Jackk wrote:but I like epprouves very much? Where is it from?
ex- + probo, like French éprouver "to test, to feel".
by Dormouse559
12 Jan 2019 23:14
Forum: Translations
Topic: You'll own the world.
Replies: 23
Views: 2023

Re: You'll own the world.

Thank you! It's the result of a merger between attentō "I try" and attendō "I wait". The descendant of the past participle of attendō - attentum - had previously shifted to atte(n)sum by analogy with prehendō, prehe(n)sum "I take, taken". Then the merger spread this form to both verbs, and the desc...
by Dormouse559
12 Jan 2019 01:40
Forum: Translations
Topic: You'll own the world.
Replies: 23
Views: 2023

Re: You'll own the world.

Jackk wrote:
11 Jan 2019 16:32
Si vos pouð oc voscon attis, vos possireð y mont. Vos oc sauð, no's-i ?
Ah, neat! What's the etymology of attis? Is it connected to attendo?
by Dormouse559
09 Jan 2019 08:08
Forum: Everything Else
Topic: Language practice thread
Replies: 6168
Views: 488901

Re: Language practice thread

Ben, je voulais dire « quelques locutions », la touche « s » de mon clavier est un peu cassé e . On ne le dit plus aussi non plus ? Well, I wanted to say "quelques locutions", the s-key of my keyboard is a bit broken. Is it also not said anymore? Ah, je comprends. « Quelques » est bien plus répandu...
by Dormouse559
08 Jan 2019 22:05
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: Conlang Conversation Thread
Replies: 8510
Views: 780988

Re: Conlang Conversation Thread

Mie laha ixi lo zola vere le zuma! but sing NOM.3P.DEF.INAN ADV solely TOP.3S.NSPC.INAN situation have.sex They only sing about sex though. Ah ! Alleû, coume hhaccou hantrou pop depûs nonque. [ˈʔah | ɑˈlœː ku.mɛh.hɑk.kuˈhɑ̃n.tʁu ˈpɔp dəˈpyːs ˈnɔ̃ŋ.kə] Oh! So just like every pop singer ever.
by Dormouse559
04 Jan 2019 04:34
Forum: Translations
Topic: Fish smoking cigarettes
Replies: 20
Views: 10211

Re: Fish smoking cigarettes

(I've split it up into several lines to make the gloss more readable. Also there's no cigarettes smoked by Asta speakers, so they're "smoky leaves" here) Those Asta speakers. I bet they just carry around cigarettes to look cool. [B)] This was all about cigarette-smoking fish. But the thread-title l...
by Dormouse559
04 Jan 2019 04:18
Forum: Everything Else
Topic: Language practice thread
Replies: 6168
Views: 488901

Re: Language practice thread

今天我得複習中文生詞,可是我現在不想複習。 Jīntiān wŏ dĕi fùxí zhōngwén shēngcí, kĕshì wŏ xiànzài bù xiăng fùxí. Today I have to review Chinese vocabulary, but I don't like to review now. Pourquoi pas ? Why not? Parfois, je pense que le cours devrait être amélioré parce que les professeur s utilisent quelque une locuti...
by Dormouse559
02 Jan 2019 16:51
Forum: Linguistics & Natlangs
Topic: English Orthography Reform
Replies: 856
Views: 130905

Re: English Orthography Reform

No, it doesnt have much to do with english spelling reform, indeed. But it is a normal phenomenon: you start talking about basketball and end up talking about chemistry or religion. Salmoneus said that reform is not necessary because except for babies, english speakers can speak english and dont ha...
by Dormouse559
02 Jan 2019 06:02
Forum: Everything Else
Topic: Introduction thread(s)
Replies: 599
Views: 175150

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Gluestick wrote:
02 Jan 2019 00:59
In conclusion, I never know how to write a proper conclusion therefore there isn’t one.
FTFY [:P]

Welcome, Gluestick. You having fun with your conlangs is the important bit; that's pretty much what it's all about for most of us. [:)]
by Dormouse559
02 Jan 2019 00:01
Forum: Linguistics & Natlangs
Topic: English Orthography Reform
Replies: 856
Views: 130905

Re: English Orthography Reform

The US have a funny way of classifying people anyway, counting hispanics as an own race. Latinos can be blond, colored, black, american indian, asian, but suddenly they're all thrown in the same bin because they speak spanish. And then they say 'caucasians' when they mean light skinned whites, but ...
by Dormouse559
01 Jan 2019 19:53
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: What did you accomplish today?
Replies: 11240
Views: 873948

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Silvish is changing all the time, so who knows how long this will last, but the Silvish word for "python" is so cute: pitoù [piˈtu] [:3] And it looks and sounds just like the French word pitou "doggy". [:3] [:3]
by Dormouse559
01 Jan 2019 05:37
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: Conlang Conversation Thread
Replies: 8510
Views: 780988

Re: Conlang Conversation Thread

J' eppê que 2019 couminchi byé par toû. [ʑɛˈpɛː ke.dɛ̃ˈmil djõˈnœf kuˈmɛ̃ɲ̟.ɕi ˈbje pɑˈtuː] I hope 2019 is starting off well for you. Jou vê-y attandre quêque-z euwa avan que moû jou quî 2018. [ʑu.vɛː.jɑˈtɑ̃n.dʁə kɛː.kəˈzø.wə ʔəˈvɑ̃ŋ kəˈmuː ʑuˈkiː dɛ̃ˈmil djuˈʑyː] I'm going to wait a few hours befo...
by Dormouse559
31 Dec 2018 21:30
Forum: Linguistics & Natlangs
Topic: English Orthography Reform
Replies: 856
Views: 130905

Re: English Orthography Reform

I think it is quite funny how native speakers are counted: only european or white speakers are counted as native speakers of english or french, ie speakers who speak this or that language as their only language. That's not true. As an example, the U.S. Census doesn't count "native speakers" of lang...
by Dormouse559
31 Dec 2018 08:21
Forum: Translations
Topic: So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Replies: 4
Views: 136

Re: So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.

:con: Silvish

Avvoù d' ichi, jou sû plû ajé que nonque.
[ʔɑˈvu ˈdi.ɕi | ʑu.syˈplyː ʔəˈʑe kəˈnɔ̃ŋ.kə]
until of here | 1S.NOM be.1S SUP old than ever
So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.

I decided to render "this is the oldest I've ever been" as "I'm older than ever".
by Dormouse559
31 Dec 2018 00:35
Forum: Everything Else
Topic: What are you listening to/watching?
Replies: 2416
Views: 238907

Re: What are you listening to/watching?

"Mary Poppins Returns", which I quite liked. A big plus: Disney finally managed to stop smothering the singing voices in Autotune. So my ears say equal parts "Thank you" and "It's about time". [:D] :roll:
by Dormouse559
30 Dec 2018 20:37
Forum: Translations
Topic: The jawbone of an ass [;)]
Replies: 8
Views: 1994

Re: The jawbone of an ass [;)]

:con: Silvish 15. Trouvan in-a mahhouya d' as frehha, illy ettandì la mà, la raccoulyì e ss' in servì par tûyé mill eumi. 16. E sSansou dì : Avé lê mahhoû d' in as, de moù e dde moù, avé lê mahhoû d' in as, j' ê tûyé mill eumi. Trouvan in-a mahhouya d' as frehha, illy ettandì la mà, la raccoulyì e s...
by Dormouse559
30 Dec 2018 07:52
Forum: Linguistics & Natlangs
Topic: (L&N) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here
Replies: 6823
Views: 766438

Re: (L&N) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

I haven't studied this feature myself, so I don't know the definite answer to your question, but in French, the most common words containing /ə/, such as determiners and pronouns, get it from sounds other than /a/ (e.g. le < illum, je < egō). That could have influenced things. Is /a/ much more simil...
by Dormouse559
29 Dec 2018 01:47
Forum: Linguistics & Natlangs
Topic: English Orthography Reform
Replies: 856
Views: 130905

Re: English Orthography Reform

Salmoneus wrote:
28 Dec 2018 21:42
Nortaneous wrote: isn't we'll homophonous with wool?
Not that I've ever heard. It it sometimes realised the same way as wheel, though.
When I speak quickly, my "we'll" can become /wəl~wl̩/, which does sound a bit like /ˈwʊl/.