Random Conworld idea thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

Post by Shemtov » 27 Jan 2015 08:01

A dictatorship where the populace is divided up into 181 shifts each of which must spend 48 consecutive hours a year on a chemical that prevents them sleeping, while temporarily blinded listening to a booming voice says "<Name of dictator> is your master" over and over again. The 3 days where they don't do this are the day where the dictatorship was proclaimed, the day of the current dictator's birth and his ascension day.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao » 27 Jan 2015 10:20

eldin raigmore wrote:
XXXVII wrote:I was thinking of having my oceanic sea-faring somewhat-Polynesian conculture use obsidian beads as a form of currency... under the idea that their island chain would have many active, but very slow erupting volcanoes who are much like Mt. Kilauea.
Meso-American culture used knives whose blades were either sting-ray "stings" or obsidian. Each blade's first use was sacred; certain ceremonies the priests performed required use of a blade that had never before been used. After that first use the (mostly) "secular" nobility (and royalty? -- anyhow, the "ahaw"s) could obtain the blade. It was prestigious to possess such a blade. The less often a blade had been used before you obtained it, and/or the more noble or sacred the last previous user had been, the more prestigious it was.
I am a big fan of eccentric flints, ever since I saw them in National Geographic umpteen years ago.
You might consider eccentric knapped obsidian "blades" (technically they are, but they come in pretty fantastic shapes)-

https://www.pinterest.com/tacogeertsema ... ric-flint/

I am sure some of these were tradeworthy, either in an economic sense or in a religious sense.

I think, rather than trying to actually found obsidian beads, just finding a reliable source and grinding & polishing them would be a much safer process for all those involved.

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 27 Jan 2015 10:48

Lambuzhao wrote:I am a big fan of eccentric flints, ever since I saw them in National Geographic umpteen years ago.
You might consider eccentric knapped obsidian "blades" (technically they are, but they come in pretty fantastic shapes)-

https://www.pinterest.com/tacogeertsema ... ric-flint/

I am sure some of these were tradeworthy, either in an economic sense or in a religious sense.

I think, rather than trying to actually found obsidian beads, just finding a reliable source and grinding & polishing them would be a much safer process for all those involved.
Wow, I had never heard of "knapping" before, but this process is pretty much exactly what I had in mind for the item that helped to inspire the flag of the Ḵůnaal, the speakers of Śituul, whose mothers spend time during their pregnancies crafting a <śitaa>, which is a piece of obsidian carried throughout the life of the child that represents him/her and is used during religious ceremonies like marriage and the right of passage into manhood.

As for the currency, I think handmade beads would suffice...

For reference, the flag is in the spoiler:
Spoiler:

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 27 Jan 2015 17:21

Good, been wanting to use obsidian currency "coins"
Image Ӯсцьӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Wərxažu (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 28 Jan 2015 04:43

Shemtov wrote:A dictatorship where the populace is divided up into 181 shifts each of which must spend 48 consecutive hours a year on a chemical that prevents them sleeping, while temporarily blinded listening to a booming voice says "<Name of dictator> is your master" over and over again. The 3 days where they don't do this are the day where the dictatorship was proclaimed, the day of the current dictator's birth and his ascension day.
Ugh.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 28 Jan 2015 05:33

eldin raigmore wrote: Ugh.
[+1]

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » 28 Jan 2015 08:46

shimobaatar wrote:
[+1]
[+1] - This is a disturbing conculture.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 28 Jan 2015 22:33

Egerius wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
[+1]
[+1] - This is a disturbing conculture.
Not to mention highly unrealistic. Was this done on purpose, or was it meant to be realistic?

Thrice Xandvii
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Thrice Xandvii » 28 Jan 2015 22:43

Sounds purposefully ridiculous to me... But, well, Poe's Law.
Ahzoh wrote:Good, been wanting to use obsidian currency "coins"
Must you appropriate everything?

Sheesh.

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 28 Jan 2015 22:52

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Sounds purposefully ridiculous to me... But, well, Poe's Law.
[+1]

Hadn't heard of that before - thanks for "prompting" me to look it up. When I first read the words "Poe's Law", I thought it would be something about ravens and such. [:P]

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore » 29 Jan 2015 21:30

shimobaatar wrote: When I first read the words "Poe's Law", I thought it would be something about ravens and such. [:P]
Or bells.
But it's a different Poe.
(Are there still living people born with the surname Shakespeare? Seems likely.)

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar » 29 Jan 2015 22:03

eldin raigmore wrote:
shimobaatar wrote: When I first read the words "Poe's Law", I thought it would be something about ravens and such. [:P]
Or bells.
But it's a different Poe.
(Are there still living people born with the surname Shakespeare? Seems likely.)
Yeah, Google quickly told me that another, less-well-known (from my perspective), Poe was responsible… it's a more common name than Shakespeare, certainly. And I, too, wouldn't be completely surprised to hear that the name Shakespeare is still used as a surname today.

Wikipedia apparently offers a list of notable people with the surname Shakespeare who weren't related to "the Bard" (along with a list of notable people who were). Some of these appear to be stage names, though…

Lo5ecraft
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lo5ecraft » 29 Jan 2015 22:19

At the moment I'm working on a planet that's flattened (think 1:135 flattening ratio against 1:258 from Earth), it has 33,64 m/s² gravity on the poles and 0,03 m/s² on the equator.

Gotta work on a map next thing, although I'm not really sure how it would influenciate the geography - if it even would.
So you have an idea on how flat I'm talking here
Spoiler:

Unlike the Earth which is more like this:

And for comparison's sake, Saturn which is the flatter planet in the Solar System (1:10 flattening ratio) looks - theoretically - like this:

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 30 Jan 2015 06:34

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Good, been wanting to use obsidian currency "coins"
Must you appropriate everything?

Sheesh.
Yes... I MUST appropriate EVERYTHING!

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 30 Jan 2015 19:06

Thinking of making Vrkhazhian religion shamanistic.

gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach » 30 Jan 2015 20:41

Sounds interesting. But please elaborate what exactly would shamanism mean for your setting. I feel it's one of those words people often use sloppily not caring to make clear how they think it should be defined.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » 30 Jan 2015 21:24

gach wrote:Sounds interesting. But please elaborate what exactly would shamanism mean for your setting. I feel it's one of those words people often use sloppily not caring to make clear how they think it should be defined.
I go by Wikipedia: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism

It is already established that the Vrkhazh believe that for those who die peacefully, there is nothing after death.
For those who die violently or suffered great wrongs in tragedies, they become trapped in the Veil between the Formed World, the realm of the living and formed things, and the Formless World, the realm of spirits and incomprehensible ("formless") things.

It only stands to reason that this should extend to certain people have access to these places. Hence, it can be decribed as a Shamanistic belief.

Jonnyboi17
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Jonnyboi17 » 06 Feb 2015 00:03

In my conworld, based on a conlang I made called Kalot, the Kalotian people had something happen to them that was identical to the Black Death, which I called the Eurbalbic plague. Anyway, since the people didn't know what caused the plague, they made their own theories on why it spread. Their religion was and still is "Ut'um". So anyway, they believed that bad spirits would enter through the nose and hurt the person, and whoever touched a "spirit ridden" person would get spirits in them. So they could only touch sick people with leather gloves covered with mint essence or perfumes. The people would also try to ward off the spirits with boquets of sweet- smelling herbs or flowers and would wear "Warding Necklaces" that were necklaces with geometric shapes on them that they believed were holy and would ward off the spirits. Also, the people would have weekly prayers to God to protect them from the spirits and/or would perform certain rituals to protect them from the "spirits".
Hanerawi dulekiay
“People of Heaven”

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » 06 Feb 2015 02:47

Ahzoh wrote:I go by Wikipedia: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism
You do realize that linking the wikipedia page is nowhere even close to sufficient as a definition, right? Especially because the wiki page itself admits that no scholar agrees on a definition of exactly what shamanism is.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter