Symbols of Concultures

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Re: Flägs & vexillology!

Post by eldin raigmore » 24 Jul 2018 07:38

I for one very much like Sajem Tan’s flag!

What is the name of the honeycomb-like charge in the murry field near the hoist?

Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » 25 Jul 2018 06:54

Your conworld includes a cult that worships axolotls?
If I met them, I'd fly this as a flag:
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien

shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt » 30 Jul 2018 05:14

Shemtov wrote:
25 Jul 2018 06:54
Your conworld includes a cult that worships axolotls?
If I met them, I'd fly this as a flag:
Yes. [:D]
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt » 30 Jul 2018 05:47

eldin raigmore wrote:
24 Jul 2018 07:38
I for one very much like Sajem Tan’s flag!
Thank you muchly.
What is the name of the honeycomb-like charge in the murry field near the hoist?
It is just a seal with varying interpretations. It could represent the convergence of the animacies, or the nine original founders, or the complexity of the culture. What does it bring to your mind?
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » 30 Jul 2018 07:56

shanoxilt wrote:
30 Jul 2018 05:47
It is just a seal with varying interpretations. It could represent the convergence of the animacies, or the nine original founders, or the complexity of the culture. What does it bring to your mind?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » 30 Jul 2018 18:30

shanoxilt wrote:
30 Jul 2018 05:47
eldin raigmore wrote:
24 Jul 2018 07:38
A honeycomb, first and most obviously!
Then maybe face-centered cubic close-packing. (Not Q-Bert clothes-packing, @LaoKou!)

Given the mulberry-coloured field it’s on, I suppose sericulture.
Maybe your conworld’s silk is made by bees instead of moths?
Or maybe their silk moths live in hives?

After that I suppose it’s just how geometric art can be, and how artistic geometry can be!

Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Symbols of Concultures

Post by Shemtov » 31 Dec 2018 13:15

War Banner of the nĆaulaosz Allied Warriors:
The Red symbolizes that if necessary, they are ready to spill blood, and the color is in general, meant to b intimidating. The Black symbolizes their grief over their exile by the M'aillysites, and their grief over any blood spilled on their side. The letter is their grapheme for Ć, the first letter of the Ćaulaosz People (The form nĆaulaosz is genitive, and is also the name of their language).
Every Cohort has twelve Standard Bearers, who are cavalry soldiers with a long spear in the right hand, and the banner-pole in the Left.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » 12 Jan 2019 20:52

This is the flag of Essu Beti, currently spoilered because I’m not sure how to resize it in-forum:
Spoiler:
The colors are very basic and have little symbolism. White because that’s the color cotton or wool comes in, and blue because the most common dye-producing plant on the island makes blue. Elves (which form 70% of the population of Essu Beti) are red-green colorblind- they don’t really do color symbolism.

The 10-pointed 12-pointed star (which I need a better name for) is the symbol of the Beuwan religion, and I already have a neat little poorly drawn infographic for it and some variations, and for the symbols and variations of its sibling religions, Bheidor and Prexsivna. The symbol of Vekline is also there, mostly for an out-of-religion-family contrast.
Spoiler:
Essu Beti is, as you can probably guess, mostly Beuwani. It’s also very, very new. Like, the country is around 3 years old (the island existed before then, of course, but was uninhabited because of all the crocodiles and mosquitoes and the lack of natural resources). So there is a definite chance that this flag may change in the future, especially since there’s an ongoing push to NOT exclude minority religions like their former country did to them, and having their flag symbol be for exactly one religion is pretty exclusionary.

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » 14 Jan 2019 16:10

I love the variants! It's clear how they're related or derived from each other, while still being quite distinct.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » 15 Jan 2019 21:44

Firebird766 wrote:
12 Jan 2019 20:52
This is the flag of Essu Beti, currently spoilered because I’m not sure how to resize it in-forum:
There isn't a way. [:(] The spoiler tags are entirely appropriate.
Firebird766 wrote:The 10-pointed 12-pointed star (which I need a better name for)
Perhaps Latin dextans "ten twelfths" or a nonce derivative is what you're looking for.

I quite like the flag; an interesting balance of simple and complex features.